User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Got my BeagleBone Black's already! It shipped a couple days ago and arrived today, well ahead of original schedule...

Definitely a cool gadget, currently running through the default stuff running on it, it sets up a USB network link (musb-hdrc I think it calls it) with the local PC and runs a dhcp server so the attached computer can contact it (PC 192.168.7.1, beaglebone black 192.168.7.2). Has some Node.js-based system for writing Javascript applications in an arduino-esque dialect to control it.

From what I've read so far the GPU does not do hardware accelerated media encoding/decoding, only 3D and OpenCV type of stuff. So it's probably not the best choice for an XBMC media console, something a lot of folks seem to get excited over (since the RPi does work well for that I've heard). But this is all general theory crap I've read, the proof is in the pudding as they say... MPlayer is installed by default so I may take a crack at viewing some videos over its HDMI link later. I'm guessing all the decoding has to happen in software on the main CPU. The CPU does support an extended floating point instruction set called "NEON" and I don't know if MPlayer makes use of that.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Hmhm looks good that board, clearly a reaction to the RPi, I remember skipping the intrest on beaglebones cause they had been rather expensive. I am running two RPis with XBMC for two televisions and they are pretty good for watching documentaries and all sorts of english movies via video link aggregators. The only problem is a strange glitch the RPi has in combination with my Audio Video Receiver. I had a RPi version 1 and version 2 and the first one worked with no problems with the AVR and TV but the second one seemed to have a bridged 5V logic input on the HDMI connector. Cause even when it was powered off but physically connected to the AVR it made the AVR turn off and dont switch on again. Strangely now after a recent XBMC update I have the same troubles with version 1.

Another thing that sucks for XBMC usage is boot time. Ok 10 seconds is fast but it could be faster. I have build an own Arch Linux distribution and installed XBMC on it but that frontend is so loaded with junk that the boot time didnt decrease dramatically. If you manage to get xbmc running in a good quality on the beaglebone black lemme know, maybe thats an alternative then.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hmhm looks good that board, clearly a reaction to the RPi, I remember skipping the intrest on beaglebones cause they had been rather expensive. I am running two RPis with XBMC for two televisions and they are pretty good for watching documentaries and all sorts of english movies via video link aggregators. The only problem is a strange glitch the RPi has in combination with my Audio Video Receiver. I had a RPi version 1 and version 2 and the first one worked with no problems with the AVR and TV but the second one seemed to have a bridged 5V logic input on the HDMI connector. Cause even when it was powered off but physically connected to the AVR it made the AVR turn off and dont switch on again. Strangely now after a recent XBMC update I have the same troubles with version 1.

Another thing that sucks for XBMC usage is boot time. Ok 10 seconds is fast but it could be faster. I have build an own Arch Linux distribution and installed XBMC on it but that frontend is so loaded with junk that the boot time didnt decrease dramatically. If you manage to get xbmc running in a good quality on the beaglebone black lemme know, maybe thats an alternative then.
    Yeah I'm not too optimistic about the XBMC use case, the GPU doesn't have the video codec stuff so it wouldn't be able to play HD video... maybe 480p but that's about it. So far I have updated the packages on the device, managed to brick it so it won't boot, hooked up an FTDI serial cable to the console to unbrick it (update refused to install kernel-image-3.8.8 b/c its files would overwrite those provided by kernel-image-3.8.6, wth) and now I'm settling in with its CLI. Also thinking about learning the Node.JS Bonescript stuff just so I can write cool shit others can use easily.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

How is it going with the beagleboard ?

Take a look at this one: Toshiba M370: http://www.toshiba-components.com/mi...r/TMPM370.html

Intresting as well, tho prolly a bit oversized for most of my BLDC applications

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    How is it going with the beagleboard ?

Take a look at this one: Toshiba M370: http://www.toshiba-components.com/mi...r/TMPM370.html

Intresting as well, tho prolly a bit oversized for most of my BLDC applications
    Got the renesas RX cross compiler built, haha, everyone on IRC tells me I should build an ARM x-compiler on my mac so I can do a canadian cross (cross-compiler built with a cross-compiler) instead...

It also looks like the Node.JS/Bonescript support for the hardware is in flux; with the BBBlack they moved to kernel 3.8 which introduces Devicetrees as the mandatory way of configuring the pinmux settings, the released firmware doesn't support that yet. Old version of the beaglebone used an "omap_mux" debug driver which is long gone now. Also one quirk, you have to place a "uEnv.txt" file on your SD card or else the bone won't boot at all if you insert the SD card and reboot; plus it's not hot-pluggable, you have to boot it up with the SD card installed. Minor annoyances like that so far. Otherwise it's pretty cool! I'll get around to learning Bonescript after the next firmware update or 2 I guess... wait for the quirks to get worked out. Also managed to sell 2 of my 4 to coworkers.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Working on a very small AVR-webserver project using the uip library. So far the board layout is about 1,77 x 1,77 inches, which should fit into a box of matches. A micro SD-card will be added as well.

The thing should be used as a data storage primarily, which I can access via USB or thru the internet. I am planning to make connectors for all the remaning AVR ports so I can add a webcam for cat surveillance or maybe a relais for switching things on and off. So a starting project for home automation. Doing this with an AVR to get a better grip on the basic hardware and software involved in such a project.

I have looked into powering the thing via PoE but those standard is a mess. Hardly any routers availiable at all which support it and dont cost a billion and just using a switch cable to power it is no solution yet.
    I have used one of these magjack RJ45 ports now, which have the necessary HF-trafo integrated.