User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Nice!!! Good work. I've heard those things are a bitch to solder... I got my freebie kit from the 43oh guy, haven't unpacked it though.
    PS a few weeks ago I bought one of the TI MSP430 professional programmers, the MSP-FET430UIF, and I noticed the box says "Made in Germany" on the label. Refreshing not seeing something "Made in China" for once!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Catching neonred on camera is impossible

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Well for what it's worth, with nothing specific on the horizon for projects (a few vague ones in mind but no rush on them), I'm diving *deep* into the Renesas RX. Was trying to choose between the ARM TI Stellaris I have or the Renesas RX and Renesas it is (bigger/badder dev board, more rare here in the USA, sounds like a worthwhile waste of my time; there are plenty of other folks figuring out the Stellaris right now)

Project #1: Create a TI LaunchPad adapter board for the RDKRX62N board so I can plug my BoosterPacks into it and write software for existing boosterpack-based pluggable hardware. I'm not a big fan of the Arduino layout, preferring to spend my efforts on using the TI LaunchPad boosterpack standard instead.
    Eventually I'd like to produce my own LaunchPad (80-pin version most likely) using the newer RX63x series and a SEGGER J-Link debug header, unless the new 120+MHz RX600 series chips come out by the time I get to them. Not holding my breath though.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Cool that board would prolly be the right one for my current project:

This is robby, equipped with a raspberry pi (ARM dev board), wlan and a small LCD on wheels. I am still waiting for an order from China for the Alamode board, which is a shield on the GPIO boards of the rasp and which has the Arduino standardization (plus an RTC clock). With that I can use an adafruit motor shield to make it drive around.

I am planning to build a little helper, which reacts to speech commands. I have bought super sonic sensors as well, so it can navigate a bit and I am planning on odometrics and cartography as well. Maybe you can ask him later how much milk is left or what the current soccer games score is and he can connect to the internet and be a living wikipedia. All just ideas, gonna see.

Nice thing is that the LCD, which normally goes at 12 V works at 5 V as well. So I have written a script to physically switch of the signal ports of the rasp, to save power on the LCD, cause with no signal it shuts automatically off ( written in very bad C tho, cause I am no programmer: https://github.com/enthalpie/raspb_lcd_powersaver).

I have hooked all the stuff up to an Iphone emergency battery with 60 Wh, runs about 11 hours with LCD off

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Nice, sounds like a fun project for the rpi!

I heard there's a new BeagleBone coming out soon that's trying to compete with the RPi... supposed to be cheaper and more powerful (with HDMI finally, though no composite video out). From what I've seen those are a bit more capable/tons more I/O for the hackers. Supposedly adding onboard flash so the O/S isn't tied to the SD card (i.e. SD card can be an online-replaceable data dump). Haven't bought any of those ARM boards yet but I'll be looking at that new BeagleBone when it's out.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's definitly a lot of fun, those bare boards close to the real tech, motivate you to do everything yourself. I found instructions on the internet to even build your very own Linux from scratch. I already compiled an OS for the arm architecture and it took my dual 3 Ghz machine about 8 hours, kinda funny; feels like StarTrek when the actors said: "it will take the computer about 10 hours to calculate the result".

I am watching the beaglebone as well, so far beagle or the omap board have been to expensive in relation to the RPi, but gonna see what comes next. With more expansion boards, I am going to wire my whole house

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Fun with EagleUp (the model aint perfect, cause I lack the patience for drawing )

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Nice! I always wondered if anyone uses the 3D preview feature in those PCB CAD progs.
    I always make my own footprints so I doubt I'd have much use with those. I also use DipTrace fwiw but I think it has that 3D stuff too.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

In other news, I have the shits for soldering 0603 SMD components. Building out 9 boards for the 43oh.com store (would be 10, but I discovered a refdes mistake and had to desolder some resistors; accidentally lifted the pad on 1 of the boards so it's now my scrap board) and each board has 31 SMD 0603-size components (plus a couple 1206's and then ICs + headers). It's a custom LaunchPad for the MSP430F5172 chip. Kinda nicer than the ones that come with TI's launchpad, closer to the atmel atmega328 in specs but has more features.

I definitely need to get a reflow soldering setup going...
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Check this one out, I nearly already bought it:
    http://www.beta-estore.com/rkus/orde...ails.html?p=13

Everytime I tried soldering 0603 manually I end up wanting to break things