• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

if and when time travel is possible

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It should only be used for observational purposes, We already fuck up the present enough, we don't need to be fucking up the past more than our ancestors did.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
why? you're going to put ethical barriers to this as you could to genetic engineering, to the atomic bomb, to artificial bodies etc... but the future will come as it will come, with the self-imposed limits of possibility, and whatever ethical constraints you might want to discuss now will be irrelevant as future discoveries and possibilities come into place and the whole context of society changes along. not saying that ethics is not important, but we can't discuss now, with the eyes of the present, what the societies(s), technical advancements,and therefore ethical limitations of the future will be like, IMO.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
How would those living in the future know if someone changed the past, the new past would be the past of their memories (along with the past already being a pretty big mess).

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How would those living in the future know if someone changed the past, the new past would be the past of their memories (along with the past already being a pretty big mess).

it has nothing to do with the humans knowing or not knowing.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

it has nothing to do with the humans knowing or not knowing.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

I agree, Snoopy. Perhaps there would be instances of dejavu, but how do we know that yesterday is not but one of many possible yesterdays? The future is fluid, always changing, shifting and intangible in the present. Time travel, no matter how you slice it, is paradoxical.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree, Snoopy. Perhaps there would be instances of dejavu, but how do we know that yesterday is not but one of many possible yesterdays? The future is fluid, always changing, shifting and intangible in the present. Time travel, no matter how you slice it, is paradoxical.

It's only paradoxical if you see it from a linear perspective (which is how we tend to see it inside 3 spatial dimensions).

The cosmologists of today see it more like a river, which can fluctuate its speed and alter its direction of flow.

If you think of everything as being 'predetermined', then we would lose this rapidly shifting dynamic behind time.

Because time and the way it develops though is contingent with the present moment, we can (with sufficient mental intensity on our part) 'will' what happens, and perhaps even change our perspectives on what has happened.

Think of it like a prism or a hallway of mirrors, bouncing the light around in a random fashion, but if you even just vaguely tilt the orientation of a mirror, it would drastically influence the whole course the light takes on its line of travel.

The smallest movement can effect the whole destiny of our entire world system, which is why our free will is so important.

The will is intimately connected with time, with what 'will' happen, so it follows that if we can understand the will, which is the prime world mover, then we can know time, which shows us the evolutionary developments moved into causation by the power of the will.

Mole

Permabanned
Relative and Quantum Time Travel

We can travel into the future by increasing our relative speed.

And at the quantum level things can travel back into the past, but for reasons of entropy, quantum time travel doesn't translate into macro time travel. And we live at the macro level.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
What you all are missing, is the fact that there's a bigger plan than just what we want.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I always wondered about our system of time. It applies to us and helps us measure and organise many things.

However surely the past is just memory and the future is only potential. It seems to me that the only extant moment is something like a planck and once each one of these almost infinitely small present moments passes they die and that moment is never known again, instead the entire universe is destroyed and reborn in that one tiny moment and it comes out changed with each tick.

We are always trying to observe something in relation to ourselves, that is either so large or so small that it is nearly impossible. Once we can do that accurately and then replicate it....then we shall see.

I

Infinite Bubble

There's a theory that when time is navigated backwards, said object would be thrust into an alternative dimension/timeline. So that would abolish any paradoxes. But I think we only see things such as this as paradoxes due to being used to living in the manner and scale we do, and because of limited perceptions.

which is why our free will is so important.

I think our free will is just an illusion, in my opinion. We are slaves to the universe.

An idea I had before was that the entire universe and everything that has happened/going to happen is just from the huge Butterfly effect initiated by the Big Bang. Therefore everything is predetermined and all events down to the last atom move and operate in a precise way. The past is irreversible and so is the future. Destiny exists.

Just something interesting to think about.

What you all are missing, is the fact that there's a bigger plan than just what we want.

Why does there need to be a plan at all?

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think our free will is just an illusion, in my opinion. We are slaves to the universe.

An idea I had before was that the entire universe and everything that has happened/going to happen is just from the huge Butterfly effect initiated by the Big Bang. Therefore everything is predetermined and all events down to the last atom move and operate in a precise way. The past is irreversible and so is the future. Destiny exists.

Just something interesting to think about.

Under the laws of a purely mechanical universe, this would work. However, we don't know if it's really that simple.

I guess it depends on whether or not you see mind, or the Will as a transcendent agent beyond the mundane processes of this plane.

I'm more of a magician than a rationalist, and as such, I like to think that things happen not only necessarily (determinism), but also contingently (free will).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's only paradoxical if you see it from a linear perspective (which is how we tend to see it inside 3 spatial dimensions).
Not so as a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey stuff? :drwho:

Because time and the way it develops though is contingent with the present moment, we can (with sufficient mental intensity on our part) 'will' what happens, and perhaps even change our perspectives on what has happened.
This is very interesting. What is the difference between changing one's perspective on an event and changing the real nature of what has happened? I don't think they are the same thing at all, but what you say suggests that the line is fuzzier or not in the place it's easy to assume it is, a semi-popular notion with all sorts of implications. I want to know where you see it.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not so as a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey stuff? :drwho:

This is very interesting. What is the difference between changing one's perspective on an event and changing the real nature of what has happened? I don't think they are the same thing at all, but what you say suggests that the line is fuzzier or not in the place it's easy to assume it is, a semi-popular notion with all sorts of implications. I want to know where you see it.

I think of time like a video game, where you have different 'save files', and these files can be always 're-played' (if you don't delete them [forget what happened]; there will be bits of corrupted data here and there, which will further decay with time).

The mind is the projector that can play these events out in our imaginations. We can't necessarily 'change' what's happened (yet), but we can reintegrate the experiences, 'level up' differently.

Maybe in the future, we will be able to 'jump out' of this existential plane, and realign ourselves back into some past position of this world, and then literally change the past reality.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It should only be used for observational purposes, We already fuck up the present enough, we don't need to be fucking up the past more than our ancestors did.
You are ahead of your time, my dear.

We are equipped with recording devices that transmit into a parallel universe, so any change is well documented and offenders are imprisoned in a singularity. Unfun.

G

Ginkgo

"Time" is relative to the observer.

Events transpire in an illogical way outside the "apparent" flow of time.

You and I are in different time zones, yet our actions transcend our assumptions about the flow of time. Therefore, time must be a theory of arbitrary integers applied to space.

In a way, we're already fulfilling the wishes the OP is inquiring about. But it happens so dynamically according to our perception that we scarcely take note of it.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is it possible to have more then one memory of a past event, if time travel is possible, it would require a different form then the three dimensional bodies we possess now, and a different why of perceiving memories. Also, things perceived in the past that have become reality in the future or a memory of the future not yet past through in our three dimensional bodies (I digression in the opposite direction). Also memories seem to be created by the expense of energy, why some people remember some things others do not. If an individual does not create enough energy to create some type of disorder in our thinking a memory is not created.