User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I am travelling to the future as we speak, and most certainly fucking it up.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I think of time like a video game, where you have different 'save files', and these files can be always 're-played' (if you don't delete them [forget what happened]; there will be bits of corrupted data here and there, which will further decay with time).

The mind is the projector that can play these events out in our imaginations. We can't necessarily 'change' what's happened (yet), but we can reintegrate the experiences, 'level up' differently.

Maybe in the future, we will be able to 'jump out' of this existential plane, and realign ourselves back into some past position of this world, and then literally change the past reality.
    Yes, I think I see what you mean by "re-play". You can replay the events that did happen in the past; the catch is, you just can't play the ones that didn't happen, eh? I enjoy the metaphor.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I am travelling to the future as we speak.
    Yes, and the faster we travel the further into the future we go.

And it is hard to believe, but as we come up to 90% the speed of light we can cross the entire universe in a lifetime, but we leave everything millions of years in the past, because we are millions of years in the future.

Assuming time travel to the past is possible, would it be possible to do so without affecting the timeline by virtue of your very presence?

It's not that hard to visualize/conceptualize time, as many things seem to follow the same consistent pattern. If moments of time are connected, then it's possible there would be some ripple effect. If they are not, and it's only perception that leads us to believe that each moment is connected to the next, then going back would affect nothing but that moment you revisited. In all likelihood, time is probably a mixture of connected moments, and pockets or fragments that stand alone, both forever looping on themselves.

Time travel to the future is not that hard to believe, as the brain already hypothesizes (sometimes correctly) about what will happen next. And the universe is so consistent that it would make sense that this aspect was made to eventually be controlled and manipulated. All it will take is some daring few to make it happen. But alas, with the state of the world as it is, it's very likely that we won't see time travel for some time. I mean, just trying to get rid of the idea of cancer, or pass some basic reform is met with people getting in the way with BS, red tape, delays, self-serving agendas, and with trying to keep everything the same. Anyone doing real research is made to suffer, is constantly hampered along the way, has been too caged by the incessant inculcation of bullshit, or is just not good enough. And everyone else just makes up or steals some BS theory, bastardizes it, then tries to publish it as something profound. This is not a good place to be. Things need to progress. Every reason they give for the continuation of this garbage should clearly register as bullshit. Some reasons sound better than others, and some reasons make more sense than others, but it's still just plain wrong.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Assuming time travel to the past is possible, would it be possible to do so without affecting the timeline by virtue of your very presence?
    they'll invent suits that make invisble and penetrable, so no one will know you're there
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

We now know that time is relative, that is, time moves at a different pace at different speeds. Time only seems to move at the same pace here because we are all moving at the same speed.

So that time moves at different speeds in different places is counter-intuitive, just as the Earth going round the Sun is counter-intuitive.

So for 200,000 years we thought intuitively that the Sun went round the Earth and that time moved at the same speed no matter where we are, and it is only during the last 300 years we have started to think counter-intuitively and created the modern world.

Why is that?

And why are we so attached to the intuitive thinking of astrology and mbti?

I do not think we could travel through time but if we coulf I prescribe to what I call the "Donnie Darko model" which partially states that objects from the future are treated not as paradoxical if the future where it came from is rendered defunct. If a time traveller is treated either as a) an agent of the present or b) a tolerated paradox which is allowed to remain then the Grandfather Paradox falls apart and the time traveller is now free to reshape the world. It also gives an explanation from the origin of stable time loops with objects being born into existence with no casual reasoning for being there.

I have actually built an elaborate model for what I would do if I possessed a time machine. Basically you take some modern tech, 3D printer, laptop or three, download dump of Wikipedia and some friends back to 3500 BC pre-dynastic Egypt and from there rapidly industrialise the country. If carried out correctly the meagre world population of 20 million can enjoy the world more (with a ballooning population never reaching the billions), lack of ancient tradition means the whole world will be absorbed into your culture and the lack of indigineous claims to land allows you to expand as far as you want. It may technically be genocide but what can you do?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We can travel into the future by increasing our relative speed.

And at the quantum level things can travel back into the past, but for reasons of entropy, quantum time travel doesn't translate into macro time travel. And we live at the macro level.
    Thats just some stupid hypothesis that is believed because it works on paper..

Basically this hypothesis is based on the fact that when you shoot light from one hole, it goes straight line, but when you shoot it trough double slit, it makes interference pattern. Now when you try to look at from which slit the light went trough, it doesent make the interference pattern anymore. The conclusion that works on paper is that the light goes trough both holes and when you try to observe it, it seems to predict that you are observing it before the interference happens -> it seems to go back in time.

Personally i think thats just stupid, obviously if you try to measure light, you need to catch the photon to measure it, thus it doesent go trough the hole which you measure it from and doesent make interference pattern anymore because it starts to act like particle. Particles cant go trough two holes like waves can and thus cant interfere with itself.

Now it would seem weird for why the scientists would believe the hypothesis of photons predicting the future when there is a simple explanation for that which doesent require time travel. The reason why they do believe that is because math used in that says that the photon goes back in time and the same math works on other stuff in quantum mechanics. So basically because the "time travel of quantum world" math works in that case and in others, its used and considered as the most plausible explanation by people who use the math. I think its just the math that is flawed, but happens to work in some instances.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Thats just some stupid hypothesis that is believed because it works on paper..
    Actually Relativity works in reality. For we have measured the different speed of time on satellites moving fast around the Earth.

And we know that as we approach the speed of light, distance is foreshortened and time in dilated. So it is theoretically possible to travel from one side of the universe to the other in a lifetime, knowing that we leave our home millions or billions of years in the past, forever out of reach.