User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 41

  1. #11
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,776

    Default

    What you all are missing, is the fact that there's a bigger plan than just what we want.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  2. #12
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    What you all are missing, is the fact that there's a bigger plan than just what we want.
    If there is a bigger plan than just what we want, there must be a bigger planner than just us.

  3. #13
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,808

    Default

    I always wondered about our system of time. It applies to us and helps us measure and organise many things.

    However surely the past is just memory and the future is only potential. It seems to me that the only extant moment is something like a planck and once each one of these almost infinitely small present moments passes they die and that moment is never known again, instead the entire universe is destroyed and reborn in that one tiny moment and it comes out changed with each tick.

    We are always trying to observe something in relation to ourselves, that is either so large or so small that it is nearly impossible. Once we can do that accurately and then replicate it....then we shall see.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

  4. #14
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    There's a theory that when time is navigated backwards, said object would be thrust into an alternative dimension/timeline. So that would abolish any paradoxes. But I think we only see things such as this as paradoxes due to being used to living in the manner and scale we do, and because of limited perceptions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    which is why our free will is so important.
    I think our free will is just an illusion, in my opinion. We are slaves to the universe.

    An idea I had before was that the entire universe and everything that has happened/going to happen is just from the huge Butterfly effect initiated by the Big Bang. Therefore everything is predetermined and all events down to the last atom move and operate in a precise way. The past is irreversible and so is the future. Destiny exists.

    Just something interesting to think about.

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    What you all are missing, is the fact that there's a bigger plan than just what we want.
    Why does there need to be a plan at all?

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    I think our free will is just an illusion, in my opinion. We are slaves to the universe.

    An idea I had before was that the entire universe and everything that has happened/going to happen is just from the huge Butterfly effect initiated by the Big Bang. Therefore everything is predetermined and all events down to the last atom move and operate in a precise way. The past is irreversible and so is the future. Destiny exists.

    Just something interesting to think about.
    Under the laws of a purely mechanical universe, this would work. However, we don't know if it's really that simple.

    I guess it depends on whether or not you see mind, or the Will as a transcendent agent beyond the mundane processes of this plane.

    I'm more of a magician than a rationalist, and as such, I like to think that things happen not only necessarily (determinism), but also contingently (free will).

  6. #16
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    It's only paradoxical if you see it from a linear perspective (which is how we tend to see it inside 3 spatial dimensions).
    Not so as a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey stuff?

    Because time and the way it develops though is contingent with the present moment, we can (with sufficient mental intensity on our part) 'will' what happens, and perhaps even change our perspectives on what has happened.
    This is very interesting. What is the difference between changing one's perspective on an event and changing the real nature of what has happened? I don't think they are the same thing at all, but what you say suggests that the line is fuzzier or not in the place it's easy to assume it is, a semi-popular notion with all sorts of implications. I want to know where you see it.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Not so as a wibbly-wobbly ball of timey-wimey stuff?


    This is very interesting. What is the difference between changing one's perspective on an event and changing the real nature of what has happened? I don't think they are the same thing at all, but what you say suggests that the line is fuzzier or not in the place it's easy to assume it is, a semi-popular notion with all sorts of implications. I want to know where you see it.
    I think of time like a video game, where you have different 'save files', and these files can be always 're-played' (if you don't delete them [forget what happened]; there will be bits of corrupted data here and there, which will further decay with time).

    The mind is the projector that can play these events out in our imaginations. We can't necessarily 'change' what's happened (yet), but we can reintegrate the experiences, 'level up' differently.

    Maybe in the future, we will be able to 'jump out' of this existential plane, and realign ourselves back into some past position of this world, and then literally change the past reality.

  8. #18
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    It should only be used for observational purposes, We already fuck up the present enough, we don't need to be fucking up the past more than our ancestors did.
    You are ahead of your time, my dear.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    How would those living in the future know if someone changed the past, the new past would be the past of their memories (along with the past already being a pretty big mess).
    We are equipped with recording devices that transmit into a parallel universe, so any change is well documented and offenders are imprisoned in a singularity. Unfun.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  9. #19
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    "Time" is relative to the observer.

    Events transpire in an illogical way outside the "apparent" flow of time.

    You and I are in different time zones, yet our actions transcend our assumptions about the flow of time. Therefore, time must be a theory of arbitrary integers applied to space.

    In a way, we're already fulfilling the wishes the OP is inquiring about. But it happens so dynamically according to our perception that we scarcely take note of it.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Snoopy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Is it possible to have more then one memory of a past event, if time travel is possible, it would require a different form then the three dimensional bodies we possess now, and a different why of perceiving memories. Also, things perceived in the past that have become reality in the future or a memory of the future not yet past through in our three dimensional bodies (I digression in the opposite direction). Also memories seem to be created by the expense of energy, why some people remember some things others do not. If an individual does not create enough energy to create some type of disorder in our thinking a memory is not created.

Similar Threads

  1. Is time travel even possible?
    By mooseantlers in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-18-2017, 01:13 AM
  2. Time travel - where and when would you like to go?
    By Red Herring in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 08:00 AM
  3. If the soul's afterlife is imagination and intellect
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM
  4. Time travel and the Fifth dimension.
    By Fluffywolf in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 12:42 AM
  5. What is possible and what is not
    By Gauche in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO