User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is Darwin's Theory of Evolution supported by scientific evidence and why or why not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only God will ever know the answer.

0 0%
  • Yes, evolution is supported by science.

24 92.31%
  • No, evolution is not supported by science.

1 3.85%
  • I don't know if evolution is supported by science.

1 3.85%
  • Both the Evolutionist and Creationist theories are correct.

2 7.69%
  • Neither the Evolutionist nor Creationist theories are correct.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Is Darwin's Theory of Evolution supported by scientific evidence and why or why not?

What is the Theory of Evolution?

What is Charles Darwin's Theory of Evolution?

Let us not get controversial, but simply stick to the facts about Charles Darwin and his theory of Evolution. An English Naturalist, Mr. Darwin definitely gave us all a lot to think about. Darwin's theory of evolution actually contains two major ideas. The first idea posed by Mr. Darwin theorized the idea that evolution occurs. In other words, organisms change over time, and life on Earth has changed as descendants diverged from common ancestors in the past.

The second idea from Mr. Darwin is that evolution occurs by natural selection. Natural selection is the process in which living things with beneficial traits produce more offspring than others. This results in changes in the traits of living things over time. In Charles Darwin's day, the early 1800's, most people believed that all species were created at the same time and remained unchanged thereafter. They also believed that Earth was merely 6,000 years old. Darwin's ideas revolutionized biology as we know it!

How did Mr. Darwin come up with these important ideas?

It all started when he went on a voyage. In 1831, when Darwin was just 22 years old, he set sail on a scientific expedition on a ship called the HMS Beagle. He was the naturalist on the voyage. As a naturalist, it was his job to observe and collect specimens of plants, animals, rocks, and fossils wherever the expedition went ashore.

Darwin was fascinated by this nature, and his job on the Beagle was the most important time of his life. He spent over 3 years of the 5-year trip exploring nature on distant continents and islands. While he was away, a former teacher published Darwin's accounts of his observations. By the time Darwin finally returned to England, he had become famous as a naturalist.
    During the long voyage, Charles Darwin made many observations that helped him form his theory of evolution. Some of what he found included:
    -- Tropical rain forests and other new habitats where he saw many plants and animals he had never seen before
    -- An earthquake that lifted the ocean floor 9 feet (2.7 meters) above sea level.
    -- He also found rocks containing fossil sea shells in mountains far above sea level. These observations suggested that continents and oceans had changed dramatically over time and continue to change dramatically.
    -- Rock ledges that had clearly once been beaches that had gradually built up over time. This suggested that slow, steady processes also change the surface of the Earth.
    -- Fossils of gigantic extinct mammals, such as the ground sloth This was hard evidence that organisms looked very different in the past, as it suggested that living things, including the Earth's surface, change over time.

Cosmic Intelligent Design

Unaware individuals believe us humans are nothing more than meat suits but I choose to believe those scientists who consider recent discoveries of a "specified complexity" in D.N.A are in fact a death blow for Darwinian Evolutionary theory. Visit my website if you want to know why at www.maris-greenriver.com

The Heavens Declare the Glory of God

Psalm19:1 ¶ A Psalm of David. The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
    Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God is so Great the making of all those stars are but a footnote in the verse. Think about that.

Creationism and Evolution Working Together

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Time better spent than discussing it with TypoC members.

Evidence of Common Descent - Wikipedia
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Time better spent than discussing it with TypoC members.

Evidence of Common Descent - Wikipedia
    The Tree of Life is a purely naturalistic means of explaining the diversity of life. I think it was, as the fossil record indicates, very much a vehicle in making the great show of nature happen, but it can't explain strange anomolies like why it would have taken "fully evolved humans" 2.5 million years to form a civilization, or how cosmic rays make the right alterations in DNA, and even some (non-empirical) reports of "ancient/lost civilizations" from ages long past. Ultimately, we don't have enough information to work with in order to interpret the accurate story as to why we're here.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yes, we do have enough information. Read that entire article in detail. Follow the citations too if you have time to kill.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

According to Wikipedia (yeah yeah, I know) Homo sapiens reached anatomical modernity about 200k years ago, and behavioral modernity roughly 50k years ago. @Poimandres Where did you get the figure referencing 2.5 million years?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Also, as far as I know, Darwin didn't state that an organism with beneficial traits produced more offspring than others. He simply stated that those organisms with said useful feature tended to endure and have the continued opportunity to reproduce in the future; essentially, they did a better job at surviving than specimens without the useful feature.

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    According to Wikipedia (yeah yeah, I know) Homo sapiens reached anatomical modernity about 200k years ago, and behavioral modernity roughly 50k years ago. @Poimandres Where did you get the figure referencing 2.5 million years?
    genus Homo Humans, neanderthals, homo erectus, and their direct ancestors 2.5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...uman_evolution

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    genus Homo Humans, neanderthals, homo erectus, and their direct ancestors 2.5
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timelin...uman_evolution
    Ancestors. Exactly. Where we came from- we evolved from that, more recently than 2.5 million years ago. We are not still Homo Erectus or neanderthals.

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Your poll lacks an option:

"Evolution is supported by science and is not necessarily incongruous with creationist theory"

I'm an agnostic atheist but I don't believe science need exist in direct opposition with religious views. The insistence of others (both religious and non-religious) that this is the case, causes far too much unnecessarily conflict. You don't need to choose between them; there is enough room for both science and religion in this world.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Your poll lacks an option:

"Evolution is supported by science and is not necessarily incongruous with creationist theory"

I'm an agnostic atheist but I don't believe science need exist in direct opposition with religious views. The insistence of others (both religious and non-religious) that this is the case, causes far too much unnecessarily conflict. You don't need to choose between them; there is enough room for both science and religion in this world.
    I actually had an option along those lines which goes, "Both the Evolutionist and Creationist theories are correct."