User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is Darwin's Theory of Evolution supported by scientific evidence and why or why not?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only God will ever know the answer.

0 0%
  • Yes, evolution is supported by science.

24 92.31%
  • No, evolution is not supported by science.

1 3.85%
  • I don't know if evolution is supported by science.

1 3.85%
  • Both the Evolutionist and Creationist theories are correct.

2 7.69%
  • Neither the Evolutionist nor Creationist theories are correct.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

WALMART

The Only Game In Town

I have a personal agenda - I seek to visualize every step in every process of creation. I can visualize a vast expansion of matter. I can conceptualize elementary particles condensing and interacting. I can see stellar mass being propagated, heavy particles combining and erupting in a nova, solar discs forming and planetary structures evolving. Genetic information being created, shaped and destroyed, perpetually for billions of years.

All of this through natural means. There are two missing pieces - the start of the beginning and the initial spark of life. I know that in time I will be able to visualize these facets of our universe as well as any, just as every previous mystery has tumbled end over end from the pursuit of knowledge. Appeal to a higher power is not part of my agenda.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I actually had an option along those lines which goes, "Both the Evolutionist and Creationist theories are correct."
    But I don't personally believe in Creationism, so why would I choose that option?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

My favourite idea about evolution is that it can be seen in everyday life - everytime a baby is born with a slight mutation away from "the norm" you are seeing evolution. The existence precedes the essence - in this case a mutation is neither maldaptive nor advantageous at the point of origin it only becomes as such from the perspective of the environment it finds itself in. If the mutation allows you to breed surviving young then it is not maldaptive enough.

I myself am an atheist though as Southern Kross said there is nothing to say a creationist God did not choose to use evolution as its modus operandi.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

All life came forth from acids that under the right circumstances were allowed to mutate and adapt to their environment over long periods of time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    My favourite idea about evolution is that it can be seen in everyday life - everytime a baby is born with a slight mutation away from "the norm" you are seeing evolution. The existence precedes the essence - in this case a mutation is neither maldaptive nor advantageous at the point of origin it only becomes as such from the perspective of the environment it finds itself in. If the mutation allows you to breed surviving young then it is not maldaptive enough.

I myself am an atheist though as Southern Kross said there is nothing to say a creationist God did not choose to use evolution as its modus operandi.
    evolution is just a bad word choice. it should be replaced with something like "adaptation". because evolution implies a progression towards something more perfect, and that's not the case of what happens. rather, what happens is that changes that support an adaptation to the environment are fixed in the population. this does not necessarily mean an increase in complexity or a progression towards something more perfect (as seen for example in the wrong images of the progression from ape to man)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    evolution is just a bad word choice. it should be replaced with something like "adaptation". because evolution implies a progression towards something more perfect, and that's not the case of what happens. rather, what happens is that changes that support an adaptation to the environment are fixed in the population. this does not necessarily mean an increase in complexity or a progression towards something more perfect (as seen for example in the wrong images of the progression from ape to man)
    Fascinating. Practically word to word you have articulated my long held thoughts on the subject. Good job!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think the word is fine. I don't believe the world evolution inherently means progress toward something better, does it? And while evolution is mostly guided by adaptive pressures like natural selection, if you want to be technical it's not 100% adaptive.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think the word is fine. I don't believe the world evolution inherently means progress toward something better, does it? And while evolution is mostly guided by adaptive pressures like natural selection, if you want to be technical it's not 100% adaptive.
    ev·o·lu·tion
    /ˌevəˈlo͞oSHən/
    Noun
    The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the...
    The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.

Secondly, what do you mean it's not 100% adaptive?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

ev·o·lu·tion
    /ˌevəˈlo͞oSHən/
    Noun
    The process by which different kinds of living organisms are thought to have developed and diversified from earlier forms during the...
    The gradual development of something, esp. from a simple to a more complex form.

Secondly, what do you mean it's not 100% adaptive?
    There's actually still some debate over whether or not evolution ultimately trends toward complexity amongst biologists. I personally have doubts, but I can see the argument. What's important is that either way, complex is not the same as better.

And what I mean about adaption is that while adaptive pressure do the overwhelming amount of impact, evolution is also affected by things like genetic drift.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There's actually still some debate over whether or not evolution ultimately trends toward complexity amongst biologists. I personally have doubts, but I can see the argument. What's important is that either way, complex is not the same as better.

And what I mean about adaption is that while adaptive pressure do the overwhelming amount of impact, evolution is also affected by things like genetic drift.
    @Magic Poriferan, my argument is precisely that evolution does not always mean increase in complexity, and that IMO I'd change the wording to something IMO more correct like adaptation.
    Also, I'm an evolutionary biologist, so thank you but no need for links to genetic drift or notions on what the scientific community thinks about evolution lol