123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default The best that Microsoft could come up with is...

Xbox One?

Why not just call it YBox? Y? Y?!! Y???!!!

I was asleep during this announcement...but I didn't miss much.

It also looks about as bland as the name itself

And Call of Duty: Ghosts does not look impressive...certainly doesn't make me just want to go out and play a Call of Duty game, as I lost interest in them playing CoD 2.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

The more I read about it, the less inclined I am to want it, due to all the nickle-and-dime-you-to-death restrictions Microsoft has set up for it.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    The more I read about it, the less inclined I am to want it, due to all the nickle-and-dime-you-to-death restrictions Microsoft has set up for it.

Like what? Not being able to play used games cross-account without paying a fee?

Not saying you haven't thought of this, but I've noticed a lot of people saying ignorant things like "I have to buy three copies for me and my family to play one game!" Uh, no, you just log in with your account at a different Xbox. It's simpler than ever, given you will be able to store your games on the cloud.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'll probably end up getting both consoles...and by the time they're released, AMD will be well into the HD 8000 series and beyond, which means I will be upgrading my PC around that time, too.

WALMART

Sounds right for me, as well. I've owned just about every console since the N64/PS era within the first month or so of being out, sans the Dreamcast.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Like what? Not being able to play used games cross-account without paying a fee?

Not saying you haven't thought of this, but I've noticed a lot of people saying ignorant things like "I have to buy three copies for me and my family to play one game!" Uh, no, you just log in with your account at a different Xbox. It's simpler than ever, given you will be able to store your games on the cloud.
    Like these:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know

" If you are somewhere without any Internet connection at all, such as a military base, you will NOT be able to use Xbox One."
    "Games appear to be tied to your Xbox Live account, so without connecting to the Internet the Xbox One won't be able to verify that you own them."
    "Can I play my friend's games on my console?
    NO, not unless you're signed in as them. Otherwise you will have to pay, full-price, to access that game."
    "Will it work without Kinect?
    NO. Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle said at last night's Microsoft-hosted stream that Kinect requires to be attached to the console in all cases, and this has since been echoed elsewhere."
    "Another nugget of information: you also can't turn off Kinect's microphone, says hardware program manager John Link (via Polygon). It's always listening."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My favorite was the quote from an article that said blatantly that despite some people not liking aspects of not being backwards compatible and other trivial nonsense that sales will still soar since gamers will have to rebuild their library on a new console.

No. Shit. It's like you're telling me I'm eating poison even though I watched you drop it into my soup and you SAW me watching you.

I didn't even bother getting an Xbox 360.. though now I might bother with it since the release will mean the values will plummet. If you're in the military Steam is just the way to go as far as I'm concerned since it requires no more machinery than what you currently will be bringing anyways. And it travels better.

I wish I could say I was surprised by any of this. Everything is going towards making internet an absolute necessity in life, so it isn't just the gaming industry, though I'd argue that gamers probably would be the first to cross over into everything-needs-internet territory. Most of our games run smoother or are only played on internet connections. It's why D3 had no real single player mode, even though adding one would literally cost them nothing more development wise.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    Like these:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/...-and-dont-know

" If you are somewhere without any Internet connection at all, such as a military base, you will NOT be able to use Xbox One."
    "Games appear to be tied to your Xbox Live account, so without connecting to the Internet the Xbox One won't be able to verify that you own them."
    "Can I play my friend's games on my console?
    NO, not unless you're signed in as them. Otherwise you will have to pay, full-price, to access that game."
    "Will it work without Kinect?
    NO. Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle said at last night's Microsoft-hosted stream that Kinect requires to be attached to the console in all cases, and this has since been echoed elsewhere."
    "Another nugget of information: you also can't turn off Kinect's microphone, says hardware program manager John Link (via Polygon). It's always listening."

I couldn't get past your first point, because it's false.

Edit: okay I trudged on. I don't see what the big deal is about having to log in with your account at your friend's place - again, particularly since you don't even have to bring the game with you, all the data is stored on Microsoft's servers.

It comes with the Kinect, I don't see not having one connected to be a problem for anyone even though I have only seen that rumor from sources other than Microsoft itself, it's a regurgitation much like the "always-on" myth.

And yeah, it's always listening, because it is largely voice activated. You afraid of Watergate 2.0?

A more credible source, imo: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...tions-answered

I guess I'm not as phased by a lot of this news as a good bit of other consumers seem to be solely because I've been using Steam since Half-Life 2 launched. Everything they are doing, Steam has done X20 for five years now. I love Steam, personally, wouldn't trade it for much.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Apparently you missed the third point. That means no more borrowing games from a friend, which I do a lot. And I couldn't care less about Kinect or motion sensing and voice commands in general.

Quite honestly, they'd do anything to milk as much money and piss off consumers as much as possible. It's where gaming has gone over the years.

Will I get a an xBox One or PS4? I don't have any xBox, and the PS3 has mainly been sitting dust over these years.

The likelihood of getting either is low on my list.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...e-the-xbox-one

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_te...sed_games.html