• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The best that Microsoft could come up with is...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Xbox One?

Why not just call it YBox? Y? Y?!! Y???!!!

I was asleep during this announcement...but I didn't miss much.

It also looks about as bland as the name itself

And Call of Duty: Ghosts does not look impressive...certainly doesn't make me just want to go out and play a Call of Duty game, as I lost interest in them playing CoD 2.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The more I read about it, the less inclined I am to want it, due to all the nickle-and-dime-you-to-death restrictions Microsoft has set up for it.

W

WALMART

The more I read about it, the less inclined I am to want it, due to all the nickle-and-dime-you-to-death restrictions Microsoft has set up for it.

Like what? Not being able to play used games cross-account without paying a fee?

Not saying you haven't thought of this, but I've noticed a lot of people saying ignorant things like "I have to buy three copies for me and my family to play one game!" Uh, no, you just log in with your account at a different Xbox. It's simpler than ever, given you will be able to store your games on the cloud.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll probably end up getting both consoles...and by the time they're released, AMD will be well into the HD 8000 series and beyond, which means I will be upgrading my PC around that time, too.

W

WALMART

Sounds right for me, as well. I've owned just about every console since the N64/PS era within the first month or so of being out, sans the Dreamcast.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like what? Not being able to play used games cross-account without paying a fee?

Not saying you haven't thought of this, but I've noticed a lot of people saying ignorant things like "I have to buy three copies for me and my family to play one game!" Uh, no, you just log in with your account at a different Xbox. It's simpler than ever, given you will be able to store your games on the cloud.
Like these:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know

" If you are somewhere without any Internet connection at all, such as a military base, you will NOT be able to use Xbox One."
"Games appear to be tied to your Xbox Live account, so without connecting to the Internet the Xbox One won't be able to verify that you own them."
"Can I play my friend's games on my console?
NO, not unless you're signed in as them. Otherwise you will have to pay, full-price, to access that game."
"Will it work without Kinect?
NO. Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle said at last night's Microsoft-hosted stream that Kinect requires to be attached to the console in all cases, and this has since been echoed elsewhere."
"Another nugget of information: you also can't turn off Kinect's microphone, says hardware program manager John Link (via Polygon). It's always listening."

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My favorite was the quote from an article that said blatantly that despite some people not liking aspects of not being backwards compatible and other trivial nonsense that sales will still soar since gamers will have to rebuild their library on a new console.

No. Shit. It's like you're telling me I'm eating poison even though I watched you drop it into my soup and you SAW me watching you.

I didn't even bother getting an Xbox 360.. though now I might bother with it since the release will mean the values will plummet. If you're in the military Steam is just the way to go as far as I'm concerned since it requires no more machinery than what you currently will be bringing anyways. And it travels better.

I wish I could say I was surprised by any of this. Everything is going towards making internet an absolute necessity in life, so it isn't just the gaming industry, though I'd argue that gamers probably would be the first to cross over into everything-needs-internet territory. Most of our games run smoother or are only played on internet connections. It's why D3 had no real single player mode, even though adding one would literally cost them nothing more development wise.

W

WALMART

Like these:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one-what-we-do-and-dont-know

" If you are somewhere without any Internet connection at all, such as a military base, you will NOT be able to use Xbox One."
"Games appear to be tied to your Xbox Live account, so without connecting to the Internet the Xbox One won't be able to verify that you own them."
"Can I play my friend's games on my console?
NO, not unless you're signed in as them. Otherwise you will have to pay, full-price, to access that game."
"Will it work without Kinect?
NO. Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle said at last night's Microsoft-hosted stream that Kinect requires to be attached to the console in all cases, and this has since been echoed elsewhere."
"Another nugget of information: you also can't turn off Kinect's microphone, says hardware program manager John Link (via Polygon). It's always listening."

I couldn't get past your first point, because it's false.

Edit: okay I trudged on. I don't see what the big deal is about having to log in with your account at your friend's place - again, particularly since you don't even have to bring the game with you, all the data is stored on Microsoft's servers.

It comes with the Kinect, I don't see not having one connected to be a problem for anyone even though I have only seen that rumor from sources other than Microsoft itself, it's a regurgitation much like the "always-on" myth.

And yeah, it's always listening, because it is largely voice activated. You afraid of Watergate 2.0?

A more credible source, imo: http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...ckwards-compatibility-more-questions-answered

I guess I'm not as phased by a lot of this news as a good bit of other consumers seem to be solely because I've been using Steam since Half-Life 2 launched. Everything they are doing, Steam has done X20 for five years now. I love Steam, personally, wouldn't trade it for much.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Apparently you missed the third point. That means no more borrowing games from a friend, which I do a lot. And I couldn't care less about Kinect or motion sensing and voice commands in general.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In all fairness, I think Microsoft means well.

464511_478476718895741_1965670458_o.jpg

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Cloud computing is kind of lame and is one of the few things that I already dislike about Steam.

I don't like to depend on other people's remote hardware any more than is absolutely necessary, and online authentication makes the software effectively an extended rental. It's like these multiplayer games that have company servers instead of allowing private servers - after a few years they take them offline and the game becomes at least partly obsolete, or entirely obsolete for games that lack much of a single player campaign.

I still want to have my stuff the way it was after 10 or even 20 years.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's like these multiplayer games that have company servers instead of allowing private servers - after a few years they take them offline and the game becomes at least partly obsolete, or entirely obsolete for games that lack much of a single player campaign.

In my opinion, this is a great complaint against it. I love to play Left 4 Dead 2 in my spare time, and at this point, almost all of the original official servers seem to be gone, or at least significantly cut back. If they didn't allow private servers, I don't think the game would be playable at all at this point. I'd hate to see a world where all games rely on official servers...

There are benefits, of course. But in the rush to move forward, the games industry seems to forget what they're leaving behind.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=294]The Ü™[/MENTION]

3ukzpu.jpg

[MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION], it is why I hate games that require you to
Download their games from their server (even though you might want to go old school and buy a CD)
Can only play when online or with an internet connection (even in single mode.)
Dies off and has no use because there isn't much for single player.

What I generally hate is DLC packs. Some are legitimate if it adds a massive amount of story, for the rest, it is just pure crap. I've played Fable III.. easiest game ever, a lot of the DLC you see online are stupid things like dyes and armor you can only buy with real money. If I wanted to play such a game, I would of played a f2p MMOs and never touch a paid game.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
In my opinion, this is a great complaint against it. I love to play Left 4 Dead 2 in my spare time, and at this point, almost all of the original official servers seem to be gone, or at least significantly cut back. If they didn't allow private servers, I don't think the game would be playable at all at this point. I'd hate to see a world where all games rely on official servers...

There are benefits, of course. But in the rush to move forward, the games industry seems to forget what they're leaving behind.

Yes. Especially companies that are concentrating on consoles (even porting from console to PC rather than vice versa) whom fail to realize that a lot of the hugest games, especially by id and Valve, etc. became huge for several reasons - modability, standalone servers, and eventually releasing the source code and SDKs.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't expect this to happen, but all the trouble around xbox 1 is making me consider the new playstation as a viable alternative. It might be either that or no console at all from the next generation. Let's hope Sony doesn't drop the ball and saddle their own console with similar issues.

G

garbage

1. It's a better name than Wii U. C'mon, Nintendo; the 3DS was a pretty good name. But maybe Wii U will grow on us just as Wii did.
2. What the hell do we call the original Xbox now? .. I guess "the original Xbox"

I

Infinite Bubble

The problem is they're going for the all-in-one system, rather than focusing on the games. That's what Sony tried to do with the PS3, and that plan absolutely failed (thankfully the PS3 wasn't a complete disaster, since some good games were released onto the system eventually). Gamers don't buy consoles for all the extra nonsense, they buy them for the games. And why are they seemingly focusing on TV so much? I thought my TV was for TV.

G

garbage

Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
Pong may have done this first, but the Xbox One will do it.. .. even better...