MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Hmm, nice toon.

Although how's that going to work? It could very well be platfrom hell or button mashing to the Nth degree. Just a huge bag of fun free frustration.

That's definitely how I found the nearest comparison I can think of Resident Evil 4
    I think it will be a mix of Ratchet and Clank and Infamous...and because it's made by Insomniac, I foresee that it won't be Crackdown 2.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

More of Microsoft's arrogant "Deal with it." attitude on display...are they TRYING to lose this generation or are they just genuinely that clueless?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...says-microsoft

In an interview filmed prior to Microsoft’s E3 2013 press briefing and published on GameTrailers, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick has addressed concerns about the compulsory connectivity requirements of Xbox One.

“"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

“It’s a service-based world, if you think about things and how they get better with an internet connection, that’s a design choice we’ve made. I think people will appreciate it... We did a lot of testing, a lot of consumer research and I think we made a good choice.”

Mattrick said Microsoft appreciates the passion of gamers but he believes gamers are “imagining outcomes that are worse than what we believe it’s going to be in the real world.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Console gamers have never heard of Steam.

In other news, Infamous: Second Son looks absolutely beautiful.

WALMART

^ no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I played red dead on the playstation, the one which preceeded that platform.

You're not going to believe this but there was an ancient game on the commodore, it was a multiload and everyone hates multiloads and had your hip and holster alongside one side of the screen, that perspective never changed but characters would come on screen and a number of dialogue options would appear which you could choose from, depending on what you choose to say the adventure would be short or longer with sub-plots or missions, alternatively you could simply draw and shoot every single person you would meet as they walked on screen and survive the day that way for the lowest possible score but a completition on the less.

It was a great western game and very replayable and in many ways a good precursor in game play to a lot of others like red dead which have followed, I liked it better if I'm totally honest, you had to talk your way out of trouble for higher scores, you might have to talk the town drunk out of their shotgun which they are carrying around and threatening people with, manage that wrongly and they'll instantly fire at you and kill you, shotguns not taking anything like the time to draw up and fire that aiming the revolver from you hip did.

There's other games on the spectrum and commodore platforms which involved things like jousting and required pretty good timing, the ways in which the frames changed and motion operated were very clever considering that the platforms could afford to have very little happening simultaneously on the same screen.

Although I would agree that there's a lot of games which improved graphics made for improved game play, duke nukem, the other first person virtual world immersion plays, the god sims, the like of that.

That said the game play on the big ticket titles is essentially the same as many of their free to play imitators on facebook.

You know, I've thought a good bit about this. Games truly did require you to use your imagination and logical reasoning abilities. I remember, at maybe age 8 or so, not even being able to play this one command based game because I had absolutely no clue what to do. Every action I tried to take didn't work. Couldn't figure out how to access menus to look at command lists and so forth, so I really missed out on that era of gaming.

Right now I'm playing an ASCII art game, and it's absolutely mind boggling. The amount of time investment required is insane, I've played for about two hours and I still have to consult the in-game guide to see what commands do what actions.

I've tried Zork also, which is strictly command based. I don't know, I couldn't really get immersed. But it feels immersive. Same with some current MMO command based game I tried getting into...

I guess I'm just spoiled by modern convenience of immediately knowing what to do.

The game you describe sounds very fun. Do you remember what it's called?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by superunknown View Post
    The game you describe sounds very fun. Do you remember what it's called?

This guy's commentary is rare. There's also a long play which doesnt have a stupid commentary by a german or something on it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by _eric_ View Post
    More of Microsoft's arrogant "Deal with it." attitude on display...are they TRYING to lose this generation or are they just genuinely that clueless?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...says-microsoft

In an interview filmed prior to Microsoft’s E3 2013 press briefing and published on GameTrailers, Microsoft’s Don Mattrick has addressed concerns about the compulsory connectivity requirements of Xbox One.

“"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick.

“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

“It’s a service-based world, if you think about things and how they get better with an internet connection, that’s a design choice we’ve made. I think people will appreciate it... We did a lot of testing, a lot of consumer research and I think we made a good choice.”

Mattrick said Microsoft appreciates the passion of gamers but he believes gamers are “imagining outcomes that are worse than what we believe it’s going to be in the real world.”
    That whole attitude smacks of exclusion, they are aiming to exclude a lot of people, basically its the kids and trolls who where spoiling everyones play with their prescence on x box live.

garbage

"Deal with it."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

E3 in a nutshell.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

They'll work in America so who cares?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü™ View Post
    They'll work in America so who cares?
    More choice and more freedom is always better for the consumer. Just because you don't care about those issues doesn't mean they aren't important to a LOT of people elsewhere. The world does not revolve around the US.

PS4 being region free will also allow you to play games (and movies) imported from anywhere, which is especially great if you live in an area where games locally sold are very expensive, like South and Central America, for instance, where new games can be $100-$120. Even many European countries have much higher-priced games than in the US (dollar to pound/euro conversion rate adds to the hurt as well). Australia too. I'm sure there are plenty of other countries with such high prices but those are just the ones I can think of myself, without looking into it further.

Amazon US prices:

Xbox One: $499.96
    Playstation 4: $399.96
    new game for either: $59.96

Amazon UK, for a pound comparison:

Xbox One: £429.00=$673.36
    Playstation 4: £349.00=$547.79
    new game for either: £54.99=$86.31

and Amazon Germany, for a euro comparison:

Xbox One: 499 Euros=$665.92
    Playstation 4: 399 Euros=$532.47
    new game for either: 69.99 Euros=$93.40 (There are still a lot of 99.99 Euro placeholder games but Battlefield 4 and Ryse were changed to 69.99 from the placeholder price, so I'd assume that's what it will be.)

Being able to freely import whatever you want with the Playstation 4 is far cheaper than buying locally, and will make a huge difference to gamers not in the US. And that is just based on Amazon's prices, I am sure local retail stores will make them even more expensive. It makes the choice even more clear-cut for them as to what console to buy since the console price difference is even more pronounced than it is here.