• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The best that Microsoft could come up with is...

G

Ginkgo

Basically they're trying to move in the direction of creating an "entertainment" system because of the "magic of cloud". Physical "games" are no longer necessary; honestly they've been obsolete for PC gamers for a while, and with the advent of the XBOX LIVE arcade, we're already at that point with console gaming.

The biggest complaint I want to launch at microsoft is the fact that you're unable to play games unless you're hooked up on Live (aside from a 1 hour stretch [who knows, maybe that's just there so you can sign up for live]).

You need permission from Papa Microsoft if you want to play, period. And if you're unable to ask permission because you live in the internet deprived boonies, "Fuck you".

Even when the Kinect Portion of the console is off, it listens for the command "Xbox On"... so it's not really off. Ie. it's just fucking creepy.

PC gaming has always proven superior, and if you disagree, you're probably just enamored with an exclusive title from a console. That considered, this shouldn't be that big of a controversy, but it remains so because fanboys are already hooked on flagship titles from years ago. And even though the ability to play those will be cropped by the lack of backwards compatibility, they're going to come for more because they're unwise consumers who want sequels. That's what Sony, Nintendo, and in particular, Microsoft is banking on - and they want to make it seem like that exclusivity is just as all inclusive as an entertainment system, and it's going to hook a lot of hardcore gamers too.

Yeah, yeah, I know the potential to explore the performance of a console lies in how a developer produces a game, but even still...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh my God, I have just discovered a solution to the fanboy wars.I have just preordered an Xbox One AND a PS4, so arguing over which is better has become irrelevant.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
^ no joke.

You know, I've thought a good bit about this. Games truly did require you to use your imagination and logical reasoning abilities. I remember, at maybe age 8 or so, not even being able to play this one command based game because I had absolutely no clue what to do. Every action I tried to take didn't work. Couldn't figure out how to access menus to look at command lists and so forth, so I really missed out on that era of gaming.

Right now I'm playing an ASCII art game, and it's absolutely mind boggling. The amount of time investment required is insane, I've played for about two hours and I still have to consult the in-game guide to see what commands do what actions.

I've tried Zork also, which is strictly command based. I don't know, I couldn't really get immersed. But it feels immersive. Same with some current MMO command based game I tried getting into...

I guess I'm just spoiled by modern convenience of immediately knowing what to do.

The game you describe sounds very fun. Do you remember what it's called?

Dwarf Fortress is fantastic.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I shit myself laughing at this. And laughing is the only reason I enjoy shitting myself.

W

WALMART

Damn, the Xbox One went from a score ~40 to an 81 on GDex, ahead of the PS4's 73. I wonder the veracity of the system.

W

WALMART

Still, the lack of backwards compatibility remains...

I mean, I have a 360. And I still need my Gamecube/Wii to play Wind Waker...

I wouldn't prefer it if they pulled what Sony did last gen - advocate how much necessity backwards compatibility is and then just drop it from the PS3's features after the first run of consoles (after I gave away my PS2 and my backwards compatible PS3 broke, mind you. To this day haven't gotten to finish Rogue Galaxy, and still won't be able to with the PS4).

So I don't know. I could see it being a problem for some, but if MS's report showing only five percent of 360 owners played an Xbox (original) game on their newer console is accurate...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean, I have a 360. And I still need my Gamecube/Wii to play Wind Waker...

I wouldn't prefer it if they pulled what Sony did last gen - advocate how much necessity backwards compatibility is and then just drop it from the PS3's features after the first run of consoles (after I gave away my PS2 and my backwards compatible PS3 broke, mind you. To this day haven't gotten to finish Rogue Galaxy, and still won't be able to with the PS4).

So I don't know. I could see it being a problem for some, but if MS's report showing only five percent of 360 owners played an Xbox (original) game on their newer console is accurate...

Oh, don't worry, someone will recode those classic games and make them available at the PS Store. I'm playing Sonic CD on my PS3 right now...and no one can have me believe that the PS3 hardware is compatible with the hardware of 20 years ago.

MBTI Type
Mann
“If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device.”

Mattrick is aware of the kinds of gamers who’ll be missing out on Xbox One, and “absolutely” anticipated some blowback, but went on to reiterate he feels they have made the right call.

“Seriously, when I read the blogs and thought about who’s really the most impacted there was a person who said, ‘Hey I’m on a nuclear sub.’ And I don’t even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub but I’ve got to imagine it’s not easy to get an internet connection. But hey, I can empathise; if I was on a sub I’d be disappointed.

”

Most Navy ships have internet. I don't even know anyone who hasn't had internet since the 90s. People (mostly) bitchin over nothing it sounded like. On that point only. They did some retarded shit for sure.