MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Bill Nye The Science Guy Booed In Texas

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thepang...he-sun-really/

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.
    But don’t tell that to the good people of Waco, who were “visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence,” according to the Waco Tribune.

The lesser light, he [Nye] pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.
    At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled “We believe in God!”
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Lmao

garbage

Is there a thing in the Bible about the moon generating its own light? I'm not a Bible scholar, so

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Is there a thing in the Bible about the moon generating its own light? I'm not a Bible scholar, so
    Bill Nye made the mistake of quoting Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

If he hadn't done this, none of those True Believers would have known the difference.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This is a hard one. I want to drop kick an idiot, but at the same time, the bible didn't say god created two independent light sources , just that he created two lights, and a reflection counts.

And, he really should have known better than to bring the bible into it in a crowd of strangers.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

This shows the obvious idiocy of... Bill Nye.

The bible isn't a science textbook. It's bad enough when Christian creationists treat it that way and even worst when non-believers do. The fact that it says "God created a lesser light" instead of stating that "God created a reflector of the sun" doesn't matter one bit. Bill was going outside the realm of science to make a literary critique which is well beyond his capability.

Don't get me wrong, Bill was too much a part of my childhood for me to write him off, but this was just silly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    This shows the obvious idiocy of... Bill Nye.

The bible isn't a science textbook. It's bad enough when Christian creationists treat it that way and even worst when non-believers do. The fact that it says "God created a lesser light" instead of stating that "God created a reflector of the sun" doesn't matter one bit. Bill was going outside the realm of science to make a literary critique which is well beyond his capability.

Don't get me wrong, Bill was too much a part of my childhood for me to write him off, but this was just silly.
    It's just science vs. faith, an ideological struggle that's been going on since the Age of Reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's just science vs. faith, an ideological struggle that's been going on since the Age of Reason.
    No, it's not science vs. faith. It's a matter literary interpretation. Ironically it's Bill Nye who is taking the position of a more narrow minded interpretation of the text.

Bill Nye needs to contact Merriam-Webster because the moon is their example of a light.

Light:the steady giving off of the form of radiation that makes vision possible <he read poetry to her by the light of the moon>
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesa...ight%5Bnoun%5D

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I graduated from an Independent Fundamental Baptist High school and I was never taught that the moon produced it's own light. Why even bring it up, except to be an ass? And why let Bill Nye troll you into looking stupid?

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers