User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A transcript of the Unger podcast was one of the links 93JC posted earlier. It was pretty interesting (I only read the Bill Nye part).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A transcript of the Unger podcast was one of the links 93JC posted earlier. It was pretty interesting (I only read the Bill Nye part).

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was wrong link or something because I didn't see that Bill Nye was in the interview later.

None of that really changes my opinion. He wants to change people's world view. Now both he and I think Jerry was an idiot for being such a jerk about driving a suburban and both he and I don't think that the bible is a scientific textbook. The difference is that I think the problem with Jerry and that verse is a matter of interpretation and application of the bible. Nye simply think's it's impossible for the bible to inform us about our physical reality. Frankly I don't think it matters what the bible says about the human condition if it doesn't inform us about our physical reality. So I have to presume that when he makes that argument about the moon he's not just trying to upend creationism, but a fundamental Christian belief.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Were you at the event in question?

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Were you at the event in question?
    Are you kidding???

I've looked at the evidence and reached my conclusion. What part of the evidence doesn't support my conclusion that Nye brought up the fact that the moon reflects light and that Genesis refers to the moon as a light in an effort to change the worldview of the children present so that they wouldn't believe that the bible can inform them about their physical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Are you kidding???

I've looked at the evidence
    Are you kidding?

I didn't see the unger podcast.
    That's some fine, upstanding lookin' you're doin' there, slick.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Are you kidding?

That's some fine, upstanding lookin' you're doin' there, slick.
    So it confirmed my presumptions.
    You still haven't pointed out where I'm wrong about his intentions.

Besides even before I read the unger podcast I was going off the YouTube video I posted earlier.

His intentions? You don't know what his intentions were! Neither do I! (In fact when I pointed out your hypocrisy on the subject of 'intent' you retorted with what amounted to "I don't really care what his intentions were.") I don't know what he said exactly, and neither do you. I don't know what the context was, and neither do you. That's been my whole point all along.

Like I quoted earlier: "[This is] not just an example of this kind of conditioning that allows people to close themselves off from any contrary evidence to their views, no matter how obvious and common sensical, but how, in the Internet age, stories take on a life of their own and are more likely to catch fire because they are cast in their most sensationalistic light."

You've latched on to this, posted a link to a YouTube video that's got nothing to do with the event in Waco, blathered on incessantly about how much of an idiot Bill Nye is and how much he hates creationists, blah blah blah, and obstinately lashed out at everyone who has said anything that you could construe as remotely contrary to your views.

What you have done here is made a bunch of presumptions based on a sensationalized story from seven years ago and run with. You've done EXACTLY, exactly, what was done to this story in the first place to make it into a sensationalized piece. It has become so perverted and mutated that nobody has a fucking clue what really happened in the first place anymore.

I freely admit I've been needling you pretty much the entire time since you quoted my first post and said "Well, I don't see anything in here that contradicts my claims, wah wah wah wah wah," because that's not the point. That was never my point. The point is that you are arguing about a story that is based in half-truths and spin, and you are making it worse. You are perpetuating what the author of the first blog post I linked correctly identified as one of the biggest problems on the internet. You're continuing to distort a story that was already incredibly fucking distorted to begin with, and that's not cool.

While I'm being honest let me tell you this: I don't give a flying fuck about you, your religious beliefs, your views on creationism, your views on the literary merits of the bible, and I don't even give a fuck about Bill Nye. What gets me fired up is you and other people continuing to perpetuate a bunch of complete horse shit by injecting an already fucked-up, horse shit story with even more horse shit. So don't. You can believe whatever the hell you want to believe but if you keep running with this story you're a fucking idiot. That goes for both 'sides' of this 'argument'.
    Last edited by highlander; 05-19-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Insult removed

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Ask the lady who stormed out of the lecture with her three kids in tow, screeching, "We believe in God!"

A literal interpretation of the Bible is the narrow-minded. Religion remains static while science grows and evolves.
    Yet those people have a sense of certainty that you will never have.

Besides, I know atheists with a similar sense of certainty, in fact they seem suspiciously more certain that god doesn't exist than they do about the components of human blood or how to make a fire.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Are you kidding???

I've looked at the evidence and reached my conclusion. What part of the evidence doesn't support my conclusion that Nye brought up the fact that the moon reflects light and that Genesis refers to the moon as a light in an effort to change the worldview of the children present so that they wouldn't believe that the bible can inform them about their physical reality.
    I actually agree with you for once. It was blatant trolling.