User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

IMO he is sticking to science by hoping to keep it separate from religion. I think he was encouraging people not to use isolated verses in the Bible to disprove well-supported science, because as you said, it is not a science book. What he said in that Brian Unger podcast is that religious figures such as Jerry Falwell are not sticking to religion but instead making asinine remarks about science, and that it concerns him. And I agree with him about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    As far as I can tell the mischaracterization was of what the reaction was not what Bill Nye said. So the report that he made a stupid comment about the bible referring to a light when the moon is actually a reflector of light was true.
    So you mean to say you were there and you knew his intent, the context and recall precisely what he said? Please regale us with the tale of the time you were in Waco seven years ago and listened to Bill Nye.

MBTI
    INTJ

I imagine the reason religion as an institutional lifestyle is so pugnacious is because you can't get to the proof with having the faith. There's an automatic division of people into us and them. Which I suppose is fine when you focus on your own belief and you're busy working out what is "us". But then dummies go and insitutionalise the faith. The faithful get emboldened and start thinking their faith means something about people who don't have it.

Freaks.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Bill Nye needs to contact Merriam-Webster because the moon is their example of a light.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesa...ight%5Bnoun%5D
    This definition is wrong. It states:

the steady giving off of the form of radiation that makes vision possible
    Light is a form of energy, pure and simple; a subset of the electromagnetic spectrum, to be more scientific. The dictionary definition is more appropriate to emission, the process of giving off light. Emission is distinct from reflection, as the first implies generation while the second, simple redirection. Moreover, nothing requires light or its emission to be steady. The world is full of examples of pulsed light, and light with varying intensity. But then Bill Nye probably knows all this.

You're losing credibility and looking like you just have a vendetta against religious people.
    I wouldn't call it a vendetta, but I do have limited respect for the willfilly ignorant, religious or otherwise.

Yeah, but all we know is that these people were bothered by Nye's irreverence. That's it. So I don't see why anyone would condemn them when what Nye was bringing up was so obviously stupid.

I know there are backwards people with stupid beliefs. But, simply because someone balks at what a scientist says about the bible doesn't make them stupid or backward.
    The audience balked at what a scientist said about nature, and labelled it irreverence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I'll only give in enough to say that people choose to be literalists on this or that Biblical topic. The way to argue against this is to say, "You don't believe that the Earth is flat and rests on four pillars, why do you believe God put two lights in the sky?"
    Even at the Scopes trial, people were using the Bible to determine the age of the earth. How's that for literal interpretation? Someone who believes that would indeed find it hard to be taken seriously as a scientist. That doesn't make all scientists atheists by any means, though. They are just much more likely to see value in the interpretations that fundamentalists dismiss as "metaphor".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    IMO he is sticking to science by hoping to keep it separate from religion.
    I don't think they should be seperate at all and I apologize if my previous statements made that unclear.

I think he was encouraging people not to use isolated verses in the Bible to disprove well-supported science, because as you said, it is not a science book. What he said in that Brian Unger podcast is that religious figures such as Jerry Falwell are not sticking to religion but instead making asinine remarks about science, and that it concerns him. And I agree with him about that.
    Bill Nye is an Atheist and thinks knowledge of science should overwhelm revelation. So I'm not really interested in how he thinks verses of the bible should be interpreted because he thinks they all should be interpreted according to what we can know scientifically. Where does it stop? The resurrection and ascension certainly aren't very scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    So you mean to say you were there and you knew his intent, the context and recall precisely what he said? Please regale us with the tale of the time you were in Waco seven years ago and listened to Bill Nye.
    I don't care what his intent was. I know in general his intent is to prevent children from being creationists because then (obviously) they can't become engineers. I'm not really a creationist myself, but I get annoyed by anyone militant about it on either side. In this context I happen to be more frustrated with the evolutionist.

Admittedly, under other circumstances I might have been pissed off at creationists.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I don't care what his intent was.
    Genre, grammar, and intent matter.
    Bravo.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Bill Nye is an Atheist and thinks knowledge of science should overwhelm revelation. So I'm not really interested in how he thinks verses of the bible should be interpreted because he thinks they all should be interpreted according to what we can know scientifically. Where does it stop? The resurrection and ascension certainly aren't very scientific.
    That's almost the opposite of what he said, though, in the podcast where he described what happened. He says he doesn't think the Bible is about science and so shouldn't be interpreted that way, that it's about "the human condition."

I don't think they have to be separate either, but I do think Jerry Falwell knows fuck-all about science and he and others who also know fuck-all about science should stay out of it, similarly to your feelings about Bill Nye and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Bravo.
    Fine. I'm willing to focus more on the intent of the authors of the world's most important book, and am more dismissive of any run-of-the-mill atheists presuming I understand their modus operandi.

I'm totally fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's almost the opposite of what he said, though, in the podcast where he described what happened. He says he doesn't think the Bible is about science and so shouldn't be interpreted that way, that it's about "the human condition."
    I didn't see the unger podcast.

Nonetheless, what I'm getting at is that his philosophy of knowledge is diametrically opposed to the philosophy of knowledge of any Christian who would be considered orthodox. So I'm not interested in what he thinks we can know from religion.

I don't think they have to be separate either, but I do think Jerry Falwell knows fuck-all about science and he and others who also know fuck-all about science should stay out of it, similarly to your feelings about Bill Nye and religion.
    Fair enough.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Right when he referenced God and the Bible was when he had it coming. Nothing bad would've happened if he didn't. And he didn't have to. I'm pretty sure that the public was booing at his implied slam against religion, not the scientific fact.