First 45678 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That's not the impression I got from the clarifications 93JC posted. Apparently the vast majority of the crowd thought what he said was fine and not irreverent, only a few people walked out.
    A few of them quietly walked out, and the woman who left with 3 children said quietly to her neighbor, "We believe in the Bible."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

That's not the impression I got from the clarifications 93JC posted. Apparently the vast majority of the crowd thought what he said was fine and not irreverent, only a few people walked out.
    Yeah, but I'm not judging the minority by the majority's reaction. I'm judging their actions by whether I think Bill was being irreverent or not. I wouldn't walk out myself, but if Bill's irreverence caused people to walk out then I first put the blame on him because what he said was so stupid.

Look if Joel Salatin was giving a talk to a bunch of hippie-foodies and went on a rant about how climate change is a hoax causing people to leave I would think they were both being a bit silly, but I wouldn't see it as a reason to view the people who left with scorn even if I generally agreed with Salatin. And if what Salatin said was demonstrably false and not just controversial then I would mostly blame him.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    No, of course it doesn't. It's just their beliefs that are stupid and/or backward.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You're losing credibility and looking like you just have a vendetta against religious people.

Uh, what part of that contradicts any of my claims?
    Actually you're doing a pretty fine job of contradicting yourself without my help.

Genre, grammar, and intent matter.
    If intent matters then why are you making statements like this:

I don't see why anyone would condemn them when what Nye was bringing up was so obviously stupid.
    Were you there, in Waco, seven years ago, listening to Bill Nye? If you were that's... that's pretty fucking miraculous! Otherwise I don't see why anyone would condemn Bill Nye given that, unless they were there seven years ago, they don't have a fucking clue what he said, what context he said it in and the intentions behind whatever it is he may or may not have said. Because that would be so obviously stupid.

So it's a good thing you were there, right?

MBTI
    INTJ

The bible says, a science meeting?! What were you guys thinking?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yeah, but I'm not judging the minority by the majority's reaction. I'm judging their actions by whether I think Bill was being irreverent or not. I wouldn't walk out myself, but if Bill's irreverence caused people to walk out then I first put the blame on him because what he said was so stupid.
    I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about him. I don't know that what he said was "so obviously stupid" at all. I don't know exactly what he said but from what I can piece together I think I probably agree with him. What you said earlier, that the Bible isn't a science textbook, is exactly what he was saying from what I can tell.

I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about him. I don't know that what he said was "so obviously stupid" at all. I don't know exactly what he said but from what I can piece together I think I probably agree with him. What you said earlier, that the Bible isn't a science textbook, is exactly what he was saying from what I can tell.

Thanks Ivy.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Actually you're doing a pretty fine job of contradicting yourself without my help.

If intent matters then why are you making statements like this:

Were you there, in Waco, seven years ago, listening to Bill Nye? If you were that's... that's pretty fucking miraculous! Otherwise I don't see why anyone would condemn Bill Nye given that, unless they were there seven years ago, they don't have a fucking clue what he said, what context he said it in and the intentions behind whatever it is he may or may not have said. Because that would be so obviously stupid.

So it's a good thing you were there, right?
    I'm sorry. Am I attacking your childhood hero?
    I promise I'll leave He-Man alone.

As far as I can tell the mischaracterization was of what the reaction was not what Bill Nye said. So the report that he made a stupid comment about the bible referring to a light when the moon is actually a reflector of light was true.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

They don't take the bible literally.

Nobody does that. It's a misnomer.
    Some do take the Bible literally, although that shouldn't be presented as the norm. Not sure it even was presented that way.

Also, do you know Waco's history? It's not the most rational spot on the map.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

He's a scientist. He should stick to science.

This was an ill-made statement. I didn't mean they should be kept seperate. I just mean I have no respect for any commentary that Bill would have on religion.