User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Wow, there's a lot of "you're wrong!"s being thrown back and forth here which is pretty ballsy for a bunch of people who weren't there and don't know what he said.

First of all this isn't a year-old story, this is a SEVEN-year-old story. And it was taken wildly out of context. See here and here.

The last sentence from that first source: "[This is] not just an example of this kind of conditioning that allows people to close themselves off from any contrary evidence to their views, no matter how obvious and common sensical, but how, in the Internet age, stories take on a life of their own and are more likely to catch fire because they are cast in their most sensationalistic light."

In short, anyone arguing about this one way or the other is dumb and checkity check yo'self and your sources, dumbasses.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You're losing credibility and looking like you just have a vendetta against religious people.
    Whenever threads like these show up, that usually is the point: to provoke a flame war against religious people.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Because the genre of the book where that statement comes from is a prophecy.

Genre, grammar, and intent matter.

Why are you referring to the septuagint?

Or were you just not aware that the OT was written in Hebrew?

Yeah, you pretty much no credibility on this topic.

I'm done.
    Running away from the truth - the sign of a Literalist.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Whenever threads like these show up, that usually is the point: to provoke a flame war against religious people.
    I would need an example of a "flame" post.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I would need an example of a "flame" post.
    Click on "My Profile" on the top of this page, then click on "Find Latest Posts".

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Wow, there's a lot of "you're wrong!"s being thrown back and forth here which is pretty ballsy for a bunch of people who weren't there and don't know what he said.

First of all this isn't a year-old story, this is a SEVEN-year-old story. And it was taken wildly out of context. See here and here.

The last sentence from that first source: "[This is] not just an example of this kind of conditioning that allows people to close themselves off from any contrary evidence to their views, no matter how obvious and common sensical, but how, in the Internet age, stories take on a life of their own and are more likely to catch fire because they are cast in their most sensationalistic light."

In short, anyone arguing about this one way or the other is dumb and checkity check yo'self and your sources, dumbasses.
    So it wasn't a chorus of boos?

"Would you describe it as a huff?" we asked.

"No," Woods says, "More of a low murmur."

LOL. That may be even worse than booing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Running away from the truth - the sign of a Literalist.
    No I'm disengaging from someone who starts an online conversation with A Christian by googling: "Atheism proves bible literalists wrong."
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm sorry, but as a religious person myself I find it impossible to deny (and wouldn't want to deny it even if it were possible) that there are some very strict fundamentalists out there without much in the way of actual religious education, who are not at all open to interpreting the Bible in any way but what is actually right there on the page. My own parents believe that the King James Version was ordained by God Himself and every word of it is perfectly true. (Fortunately they also have an understanding of genre and literary device and don't require "literal" and "true" to be synonyms.) Being critical of unthinking religious people is not the same as being critical of all religious people and I think we'd do well not to take the punishment when it's not meant for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

Uh, what part of that contradicts any of my claims?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Illness says that a delusion is not a delusion when it is shared by a large number of believers.

But still, a delusion is a delusion no matter how many believe it.

So when is a delusion not a delusion?

Perhaps God is a delusion you have when you are not having a delusion.

Who knows? Certainly not the DSM V.