User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My guess is, and of course in the absence of any unbiased reporting on this event (preferably video) it's just a guess, but my guess is that he didn't bring it up as a challenge to people's faith, but actually a way to connect with the audience. He just didn't foresee that saying the second light wasn't really a source of light on its own but a reflection of one would set them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    As a part of Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy,[20] conservative Christian scholarship affirms the following:

"WE AFFIRM the necessity of interpreting the Bible according to its literal, or normal, sense. The literal sense is the grammatical-historical sense, that is, the meaning which the writer expressed. Interpretation according to the literal sense will take account of all figures of speech and literary forms found in the text. WE DENY the legitimacy of any approach to Scripture that attributes to it meaning which the literal sense does not support."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_literalism

I lived with a married couple who were Biblical literalists, so don't give me that nonsense, ok? Ok.

Literalist is a poor term to use since it doesn't accurately present what they believe. Notice their focus is on historical-grammatical usage and intent. Not just taking everything literally. Jesus says if you drink of the living water you'll be saved, but none of them believe there's actual physical water they have to drink.

I think the term was chosen poorly as a result of focusing on what they were against (people interpreting certain things as metaphor where they thought it was literal) rather than focusing on what they supported.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    My guess is, and of course in the absence of any unbiased reporting on this event (preferably video) it's just a guess, but my guess is that he didn't bring it up as a challenge to people's faith, but actually a way to connect with the audience. He just didn't foresee that saying the second light wasn't really a source of light on its own but a reflection of one would set them off.
    But why would this set them off?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Literalist is a poor term to use since it doesn't accurately present what they believe. Notice their focus is on historical-grammatical usage and intent. Not just taking everything literally. Jesus says if you drink of the living water you'll be saved, but none of them believe there's actual physical water they have to drink.

I think the term was chosen poorly as a result of focusing on what they were against (people interpreting certain things as metaphor where they thought it was literal) rather than focusing on what they supported.
    I'll only give in enough to say that people choose to be literalists on this or that Biblical topic. The way to argue against this is to say, "You don't believe that the Earth is flat and rests on four pillars, why do you believe God put two lights in the sky?"

(The Greek version probably had it as "lamps" and not "lights.")

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

Idk, Bill thinks creationists can't become serious scientists, engineers, or even citizens. Which is crazy given that we were doing just fine as a country in those areas leading up to the rise of Darwin.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Idk, Bill thinks creationists can't become serious scientists, engineers, or even citizens. Which is crazy given that we were doing just fine as a country in those areas leading up to the rise of Darwin.
    Do you have a cite showing that Bill Nye thinks this way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

But why would this set them off?
    Based on my experiences with very strict sects who consider the Bible the inspired/inerrant word of God and take it as literally as possible, I'd guess because they saw it as questioning the Word of God.

I'll only give in enough to say that people choose to be literalists on this or that Biblical topic. The way to argue against this is to say, "You don't believe that the Earth is flat and rests on four pillars, why do you believe God put two lights in the sky?"
    Because the genre of the book where that statement comes from is a prophecy.

Genre, grammar, and intent matter.

The Greek version probably had it as "lamps" and not "lights.")
    Why are you referring to the septuagint?

Or were you just not aware that the OT was written in Hebrew?

Yeah, you pretty much no credibility on this topic.

I'm done.

Do you have a cite showing that Bill Nye thinks this way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHbYJfwFgOU

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Only one form of creationism requires denying evolution.