User Tag List

Thread: Screen size and productivity

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar

Default Screen size and productivity

I came to understand the effect of good resolution to my productivity a few years ago. Using many applications at a time has been necessary in my work as long as I can remember. Well, since the first GUIs on a computer. Currently I use 1600x1200 .. 1792x1344 resolution on my main screen, and 1680x1040 on another. It's about 4Mpix total, and close to being adequate.

Any users of super-sized screens, starting from 2560 x 1600, or about 4Mpix? Have you noticed a productivity boost over a 2-screen setup of similar number of pixels, if you do web design, programming or work with CAD?

in a way, yes. I have found using a third-party tool such as SplitView ( helps to make different windows more manageable and to use up the screen's real estate more effectively.

I still use a dual screen set-up at work both 1024x768. That little gap in the middle is annoying. I think I would prefer a large single screen.

Higher resolution and more pixels in general is rather useful. I can look at schematics and layout simultaneously--they both need a fairly large number of pixels.

I print stuff out a lot less often now.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I think it very much depends on the application in question.

Sometimes a single screen with extended resolution is best. I find this to be true when the app is designed as such, or when there is use of a long timeline as in music and animation applications.

Dual setups tend to work best when the app has specialized windows, e.g., 3D animation where screen 1 is keyframe and timeline and screen 2 is real-time render. I also like dual setups when an app has a number of palettes that I like to keep discrete and open.

I find that a dual 2560 x 1600 setup is almost too wide visually in that it induces some degree of neck- and eye-strain.

I remember working on an SGI system in the 90s that had an 8-head 1600 x 1200 setup. That was great for the task (algorithmic/procedural animation and rendering).

Junior Member Array

Portrait mode for the win...especially for viewing PDF documents or lots of lines of code.

Of course, this image shows 4 pages of Word document at a time.

Edit: Oh, and I use UltraMon to add a taskbar to each monitor and allow me to quickly relocate windows from one screen to the next.