User Tag List

12 Last

Infinite Bubble

Default In the future...

This thread just contains some ideas I have for the development of Homosapien in the near to late future. If you particularly hate what some people consider to be ‘unrealistic’ speculations, I wouldn't bother reading on. Some of the ideas are optimistic, some slightly less so. It is in a vaguely chronological order, but not specific. It also follows the assumption that we 1) dodge or survive any large, threatening cosmic rocks before we develop technology to deter or destroy it 2) don’t kill ourselves off due to a huge nuclear war 3) don’t accidently kill off the stalks so there’s no one to deliver our babies. I have more ideas, but this post is already long enough, so it can wait. Feel free to comment about your own speculations as well.

________

There will be the continuation of advancing healthcare for humans, as it is of course a primary concern. What this will lead to is humans living longer lives and a decrease in untreatable diseases and conditions. The most dangerous present day threats, such as cancer and AIDS, will almost certainly be completely treatable and/or vanished (the bubonic plague is another such disease that has long since disappeared). Longer life expectancy amongst the general population leads me to my next point directly below.

I am sure that the time will come when global – or at least wide spread – birth control will be fully implemented. We all know China already has a 1 child limit. So this is the first country to have to take action over this due to overpopulation and/or uncontrollable birth rates. It is only a matter of time before countries over the entire globe take their turns as well. A global implementation may be put in place, but it is more likely to differ slightly in whichever the said country is. Another possibility is maybe there will be an age limit for a person’s life: i.e. 100 years before being ‘put down’, to completely ensure full control and predictability of the human race (I doubt this, but still personally hope it never happens!).

In regards to societal change, I believe that – unfortunately – the ‘eventual’ outcome will be something somewhat akin to that proposed in ‘1984’. Even though there are developments which create the impression of expanding freedom (black people and different sexualities gaining acceptance), I think there is always going to be a subtle push towards enclosing an ever-increasingly small cage around people in an effort for control, power and predictability over the general population.

Religion is slowly dissipating, even now, with a higher importance being placed on science. With each small discovery, there becomes a lessening need to place the cause on a God. Although I am doubtful the concept will ever be forgotten in humans’ minds (it has very much an important place in the arts), I am sure that a concrete belief in such a deity will be eradicated. This means that religion in its present definition will disappear. I believe though, that traditions of religions regarding their differing ways of life can remain, and people can go by them without the worship of a non-existent entity. Buddhism is a fine example, as it instead relies on the teachings of an actual being rather than blindly following a faith that has no existence outside of one’s mind (the difference being quite relevant as long as one doesn't follow the notion of solipsism).

A new energy source will be discovered to eliminate the need for harmful present ones such as fossil fuels, although I have not much of an idea at what these could be. Rising through the ranks of civilisations, humans will most likely consider our very own sun, or another neighbouring planet, for our source of nourishment. It may even venture past our own solar system if we develop enough (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale).

Think nuclear weapons are bad enough? Well, in the future I’ll bet that with advancing scientific progress, there will be new and even more powerful and destructive weaponry for our ape claws to wave around with like a monkey with a banana. By delving deeper into the construction of the universe (quantum mechanics is just the start), there will be yet another way to blow our fellow gremlins up into bloody fairy dust. Black Hole Gun? Atom Splitter Ray? It’s progression from science fiction to fact is a reality, people!

It is only natural that with technology on the increase, and humans themselves, the earth will become more and more covered with us... settlements in places where there were once fields and new connections being made to pre-existing towns and cities. Urbanisation will occur over time such that the future holds an earth that no piece of land exists without our metallic mark covering its surface.

The invention of robotics will of course get increasingly advanced. Coding will be of such complexity that the distinction between who is metal and who is bone becomes both indistinguishable and irrelevant. Amongst everything else, it will impact jobs, particularly those considered menial. Robots will most likely take over such things as factory and shop maintenance (with self-service machines already a widespread placement in popular supermarkets).

Cybernetic enhancements, will too, eventually become commonplace. Not only will these enhancements improve day-to-day living and the, by comparison, average ‘specifications’ that humans have been given, but is also a brilliant solution to different health problems, especially related to bone and tissue damage. Micro-robotic creatures could even be programmed and placed into the blood stream to maintain and repair related bodily conditions.

Colonisation of a couple of planets in our solar system will occur (others outside solar system would be in the very distant future, and only pertained to if the human race hasn't already been wiped out years ago); namely our own moon and mars. These two are both fairly similar (in relation to other climates in the known universe) to the earth, and have a similar rocky surface that is at least adequately habitable as a secondary home. This will probably become a necessity as we slowly evaporate the recourses of our primary home planet. As different leaders will have to take care of each colony in particular, there will be most likely differing sets of laws, social behaviours and etiquette's – if we both succeed and live off these planets on a ‘permanent’ basis. If this stage of development were to occur, wars on a ‘solar system’ scale wouldn't come as a total surprise to me.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Subscribed.

I agree with most of these predictions. I think there will always be people that believe in God or some sort of higher being but much less than today. Black hole guns and the like? I can easily see that happening, if we don't destroy ourselves with nuclear weapons here on earth first.

I see alot more genetic engineering taking place for better or for worse. More designer babies. Pick and choose the qualities you want your baby to have. It will become more and more widely accepted and eventually the norm. Certain genetic disorders like down syndrome will virtually be eradicated. I see less and less natural pregnancies- let's just have a baby and see what the child ends up being. There will still be people who opt for this route but not as many.

I also see genetic engineering in use to create new species. I'm not talking about altering a few genes in a plant to get a slightly different variety. I'm talking about new species all together.

I also see artifically intelligent beings taking over human beings. I think this is way down the road since nowadays since the human brain is far more complex than any supercomputer but eventually it will happen and one day our creations will surpass us in human-like intelligence and then what?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Subscribed.
    Thanks!

I agree with most of these predictions. I think there will always be people that believe in God or some sort of higher being but much less than today. Black hole guns and the like? I can easily see that happening, if we don't destroy ourselves with nuclear weapons here on earth first.
    Maybe the belief will always exist then. Obviously it will be a minority then though. And if we don’t kill ourselves with the nuclear weapons, it’ll probably be the black hole guns instead!

I see alot more genetic engineering taking place for better or for worse. More designer babies. Pick and choose the qualities you want your baby to have. It will become more and more widely accepted and eventually the norm. Certain genetic disorders like down syndrome will virtually be eradicated. I see less and less natural pregnancies- let's just have a baby and see what the child ends up being. There will still be people who opt for this route but not as many.
    That’s a good one, yes I agree. Test tube babies will become the norm. Having the ability to get rid of any disorders would be a major triumph for humans, but somehow I think having the ability to pick the qualities that your children will have would have some bad consequences if not controlled properly.

I also see genetic engineering in use to create new species. I'm not talking about altering a few genes in a plant to get a slightly different variety. I'm talking about new species all together.
    I personally want to see them splice lizard and bat genes together to create dragons (or something)!

I also see artifically intelligent beings taking over human beings. I think this is way down the road since nowadays since the human brain is far more complex than any supercomputer but eventually it will happen and one day our creations will surpass us in human-like intelligence and then what?
    Perhaps a war, not completely unlike Terminator. After years of complex programming, it will eventually become the case that there will be as many variables that the machines look for that the human brain itself does. Their superiority (in war) over biological creatures will be clear if such things as emotions are not present. They could even begin to code themselves, thus becoming totally independent from their makers entirely.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

It's funny actually, i've had similar thoughts to these myself. But I agree with these pretty much, especially given current advances and potential advances.

The population one in particular, with regards to limited childbirth allowance, is one I was thinking about recently. After all in some countries people are raised to believe birth is a right and it usually is, but I would say it is a right not to be abused like any other. It is...immature to simply have children non-stop without a regard to how you might look after them, (in a more immediate way), and more importantly the long term impact of such an attitude.

To me such a right stops being a right when it impinges on the rights of others, in an indirect way, this is exactly what unchecked childbirth does.

Of course humans are nothing if not adaptable and at first there would be widespread protests and riots as well as many discussions all over.

However eventually we would adapt and become used to this restriction, as we usually do.

In any case these are good predictions I enjoyed reading them .

ps: Also subscribed.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Infinite Bubble

@AffirmitiveAnxiety I agree with what you are saying. It is still unfortunate that it will have to take an actual law for people to limit themselves, but I assume that not many people are actually aware of the eventual consequences. And if China can do it successfully, I'm sure the rest of the world will too when the time comes.

As for some more of my thoughts, I'll probably post them tomorrow - I'm far too lazy to begin writing them all at this time! I also have a couple of drawings that represent my personal visions regarding technology and human appearance.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Life In The Future Year 6000 and Beyond
    Life in the far future

Infinite Bubble

Thanks @RaptorWizard, very enjoyable video. I just wish they invented the damn immortality devices sooner, so I could see it for myself!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Thanks @RaptorWizard, very enjoyable video. I just wish they invented the damn immortality devices sooner, so I could see it for myself!
    Yeah, same here!

One of the things I resent most about being mortal, is that I'll never know for sure what the distant future holds for the human race. I want to at least know how it all folds out, even if I am not able to experience it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

WALMART

we will not spank the monkey - the monkey will spank us. God damn you all to hell!

I deeply desire to be on the first one-way shuttle off of Earth. Not because I don't like it here, it'd more be for posterity's sake.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

What's with the [Saturn-like] rings in that video? Are they saying the moon will be destroyed?
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas