User Tag List

First 12

Infinite Bubble

Okay, next set:

Weather control will absolutely become possible in the future. Although I cannot imagine it being good for the planets ecosystem, I doubt that will stop us. It should, in my opinion, be mainly used for the controlling of harmful, dangerous weather; tornadoes and hurricanes in particular. It would save many homes and lives, and stop disruption of the natural habitat that it would normally destroy. It may also be used in a more harmful way, and eventually become a weapon; with the ability to heavily damage enemy territory.

With human life as busy as it is, food pills may become a more viable and popular option rather than actual food. It would be simple and efficient, and contain all the necessary nutrients. Will it completely take over “real” food? I doubt it. In fact, we will probably need the actual food to produce the pills. But, what it will become is an alternative for those with busy work lives. Pills would be small and easy to fit in ones pocket, and not take up unnecessary time to eat.

TV in its current form will be eventually overtaken by other formats for primary entertainment. I believe there is a large possibility that its replacement will be a full sensory experience; being surrounded in full virtual 3 dimensional space, with the invention projecting an image in such a way that it would be as if one is actually there. Videogaming, a fairly new development in entertainment, will eventually become predominate that all humans will enjoy. It is in early stages right now, but it will advance onward, until virtual reality devices - similar to that for the future TV units - will be what people are playing.

Transport systems for space travel will use warp drives. With this, warping space using equipment will obviously be rendered possible for a manner of different reasons. A personal musing for this is that wouldn’t a warp drive or similar device effectively gain a gravity field in front of it when operational? If we follow this diagram:

At the front of the device, with which space will be “squashed”, surely a noticeable gravity field will be produced? If the warp drives power is going to be great enough to bend space such that it takes less than the speed of light to get to a nearby star, the field would be quite tremendous. If this is true, then it could cause some potentially dangerous problems.

A way to effectively “preserve” information from matter into a kind of cryogenic state, so that it may be used at a later date, may be found. As physical objects are simply projections to which information is present, a way to store the “data” may be figured out. This would be by far one of the greatest revolutions in human scientific progress.

Teleportation will become a reality. The concept is simple, but our technology is not up to it at the present time. Preserving information states, as stated in the above paragraph, could be the answer. Scientists have already managed to teleport a single atom, so it’s definitely possible, and although we seem to be a long way off from the atoms of an entire human being, it is definite future possibility.

Invisibility – something which seems mostly fantasy right now – is something that is a definite possibility. A way for such a thing to be made is find a way to effectively warp light around the, say, clothing, thus light from around the object instead being absorbed by the eyes.

Will time travel be possible? To the future: definitely. The ability to bend space (thus causing a gravitational field) using technology could be a viable way to do this, rather than going all the way to the nearest black hole. This seems like a simple enough way of travelling in time. But it’s to the past that people wonder about more often (if we ever do, why can’t we see them around us, why has no-one stopped Hitler? etc). My speculation to this point hasn’t yet resolved unfortunately. I suppose the answer is similar whether time is linear, cause and effect, or has a more holistic framework. I have created two illustrations to visually represent these two versions (because they’re always fun!):

With time set in a linear fashion, the constant stream of states continues through time in a set direction, with the inability to ever revert back to previous states, thus a “locked” timeline.

Time could also be a holistic entity, with events happening in sequence, but each state metaphorically set apart individually across a 3D sphere. This way, by means I haven’t bothered to think about much yet (possibly having to transverse to different dimensions), past events could be revisited. Holistic in reality, but the universe maintaining a natural progression of entropy (which is why you don’t see people walking backwards or cups rebuilding their pieces back together after being smashed onto the floor).

I’m quite certain the most believed theory is that of a linear space-time, but it must be said that a holistic one would be a lot more fun.

Sorry about getting carried away with time travel. The whole concept is just so intriguing to me...

MBTI
    SDFS
    Enneagram
    SDF

dang.....why do these smart people only exist in these forums? I really wish I could meet people like this in real life..haha..and talk about stuff like this....

had these thoughts as well..talking about it to most people would make 'em think I'm weird....which I really am.. haha

anyways, my favorites:

Religion is slowly dissipating, even now, with a higher importance being placed on science. With each small discovery, there becomes a lessening need to place the cause on a God. Although I am doubtful the concept will ever be forgotten in humans’ minds (it has very much an important place in the arts), I am sure that a concrete belief in such a deity will be eradicated. This means that religion in its present definition will disappear. I believe though, that traditions of religions regarding their differing ways of life can remain, and people can go by them without the worship of a non-existent entity. Buddhism is a fine example, as it instead relies on the teachings of an actual being rather than blindly following a faith that has no existence outside of one’s mind (the difference being quite relevant as long as one doesn't follow the notion of solipsism).
    can't wait for this..i'd be one of the people who helps "with each small discovery".,

I am sure that the time will come when global – or at least wide spread – birth control will be fully implemented. We all know China already has a 1 child limit. So this is the first country to have to take action over this due to overpopulation and/or uncontrollable birth rates. It is only a matter of time before countries over the entire globe take their turns as well.
    i think religion is one of the factors that slow this process. so with the help of the slowly dissipating religion, these would be implemented more quickly..

Another possibility is maybe there will be an age limit for a person’s life: i.e. 100 years before being ‘put down’, to completely ensure full control and predictability of the human race (I doubt this, but still personally hope it never happens!).
    yikes. i'll be one of the people who would rebel against this kind of system..if i'm still alive..

Colonisation of a couple of planets in our solar system will occur...wars on a ‘solar system’ scale wouldn't come as a total surprise to me.
    yep..interesting

as with the time travel.. i like that concept..

TO WHOEVER SUCCESSFULLY INVENTS A TIME MACHINE!!!! :

travel back in time and email me at garthur17@yahoo.com on march 28, 2013 10:00 am. there we will discuss where and when we would meet and tell me how your thing works..

(i'll post this message all over the internet. and see if people in the future would discover this message and actually time travel back in time and email me on march 28 lol.)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Who the fuck wants food pills instead of food? Good luck with that, buddy. Ewww. Why.

I agree with you that religion will change, but only that it will become more global forms, like Bahai, Zen Buddhism, liberal Christianity, and so forth.

Neuroscientists have actually pinpointed the god-response in the brain, and it's just as normal and healthy as eating, mating, and working. Transcendent states achieved by the deeply spiritual during meditation and prayer can be shown in similar brain patterns, despite differences in cultural religion. It's a critical part of who we are, and with the loss of religion has come a rise in depression, anxiety, and some studies show that religious people really are happier and more well-adjusted socially.

Yes, religion will change, but it won't fall of the face of the earth, and good luck attempting to replace it, the Soviets already tried and failed. In the U.S. a similar thing has been attempted with advertising, capitalism, and brand loyalty, and I don't see too many intellectuals who are thrilled with that development, nor should they be.

I've always wanted to take a time machine into the past instead of the future. I want to go visit the real places in books.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Garthur17 View Post
    had these thoughts as well..talking about it to most people would make 'em think I'm weird....which I really am.. haha
    Same; I have nobody to talk to who is interested either. Apparently the weather and sex are more interesting subjects.

(i'll post this message all over the internet. and see if people in the future would discover this message and actually time travel back in time and email me on march 28 lol.)
    And what are the chances of someone from the future deciding to go onto this forum, onto this very thread (which probably won't exist by then) and actually take their time to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Who the fuck wants food pills instead of food? Good luck with that, buddy. Ewww. Why.
    Well, they're efficient for people who have a limited amount of time. I'm sure they'd add a taste residue on the surface, so it wouldn't be as bad as you think.

Yes, religion will change, but it won't fall of the face of the earth, and good luck attempting to replace it, the Soviets already tried and failed. In the U.S. a similar thing has been attempted with advertising, capitalism, and brand loyalty, and I don't see too many intellectuals who are thrilled with that development, nor should they be.
    As said in the OP, it should remain, but simply as a way of life, rather than a belief in a deity also. I still don't think the belief needs to exist, and shouldn't be necessary for human happiness and security. Science continues to fill in the gaps that imagination did in the past.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Transport systems for space travel will use warp drives. With this, warping space using equipment will obviously be rendered possible for a manner of different reasons. A personal musing for this is that wouldn’t a warp drive or similar device effectively gain a gravity field in front of it when operational? If we follow this diagram:

At the front of the device, with which space will be “squashed”, surely a noticeable gravity field will be produced? If the warp drives power is going to be great enough to bend space such that it takes less than the speed of light to get to a nearby star, the field would be quite tremendous. If this is true, then it could cause some potentially dangerous problems.
    Yeah, like I recently read on this, and it said that whatever's in front of this that you're arriving at will be blasted with intense gamma rays (highly blue-shifted energy).
    If an interstellar or intergalactic civilization is ever set up with this, there will have to be designated "freeways", I guess marked with space-buoys.

Will time travel be possible? To the future: definitely. The ability to bend space (thus causing a gravitational field) using technology could be a viable way to do this, rather than going all the way to the nearest black hole. This seems like a simple enough way of travelling in time. But it’s to the past that people wonder about more often (if we ever do, why can’t we see them around us, why has no-one stopped Hitler? etc). My speculation to this point hasn’t yet resolved unfortunately. I suppose the answer is similar whether time is linear, cause and effect, or has a more holistic framework.
    With time set in a linear fashion, the constant stream of states continues through time in a set direction, with the inability to ever revert back to previous states, thus a “locked” timeline.

Time could also be a holistic entity, with events happening in sequence, but each state metaphorically set apart individually across a 3D sphere. This way, by means I haven’t bothered to think about much yet (possibly having to transverse to different dimensions), past events could be revisited. Holistic in reality, but the universe maintaining a natural progression of entropy (which is why you don’t see people walking backwards or cups rebuilding their pieces back together after being smashed onto the floor).

I’m quite certain the most believed theory is that of a linear space-time, but it must be said that a holistic one would be a lot more fun.
    I think of a grand multidimensional matrix with a third continuum (in addition to space and time) called "chance", which is where all the other "potential"s states of matter and energy lie; i.e. "alternate timelines", or "unchosen" paths we make. Think of it as the "shadow of the universe/reality"! So while three dimensions are space, one is time (and they speculate on additional dimensions, usually assumed to be spatial and mostly tiny), this new continuum would make up all other dimensions.
    So if you went back in time, you would automatically be simultaneously crossing through this third continuum, and when you come to rest in the past, it will be an alternate reality where you suddenly appeared in that time and place. None of us in this timeline would see it. We'd see the person going back from our time disappear, and that's it.

Theoreticians discussing time travel (via wormholes, FTL or other hypothetical phenomena), will mention this idea, but for some reason have not, as far as I've seen, formulated it as a third continuum, or added it to the mathematical field equations (from which they derive possible numbers of additional dimensions) as such.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Before all of these things will happen, there will be a new kind of world war.
    World civil war and in some instances race war.
    What the result will be is unclear, but the world will take a new turn.
    The stalemate that has lasted for most of a century since the cold war began will be gone.
    New nations will arise, the powers that be will be wiped out, new technology, old ideas will come to life and the dawn of a Golden Age for western man might be around the corner.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

The world is very different ever since the robotic uprising of the mid-90s. There is no more unhappiness.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Yeah, like I recently read on this, and it said that whatever's in front of this that you're arriving at will be blasted with intense gamma rays (highly blue-shifted energy).
    If an interstellar or intergalactic civilization is ever set up with this, there will have to be designated "freeways", I guess marked with space-buoys.
    Ah, I thought something of that affect would occur. On the reverse side, The expanding space at the back of the craft may also give rise to an opposite phenomena to gravity, similar to what was theorized to have happened at the event of the big bang.

I think of a grand multidimensional matrix with a third continuum (in addition to space and time) called "chance", which is where all the other "potential"s states of matter and energy lie; i.e. "alternate timelines", or "unchosen" paths we make. Think of it as the "shadow of the universe/reality"! So while three dimensions are space, one is time (and they speculate on additional dimensions, usually assumed to be spatial and mostly tiny), this new continuum would make up all other dimensions.
    So if you went back in time, you would automatically be simultaneously crossing through this third continuum, and when you come to rest in the past, it will be an alternate reality where you suddenly appeared in that time and place. None of us in this timeline would see it. We'd see the person going back from our time disappear, and that's it.
    I've heard of this type of thing before, and I think it is definitely one of the most likely theories for what would happen. I was actually going to add a section about it for the "holistic universe", obviously forgot though. It would certainly give a reason to why there aren't any people from the future (from what we can tell).

Quote Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    Before all of these things will happen, there will be a new kind of world war.
    World civil war and in some instances race war.
    What the result will be is unclear, but the world will take a new turn.
    The stalemate that has lasted for most of a century since the cold war began will be gone.
    New nations will arise, the powers that be will be wiped out, new technology, old ideas will come to life and the dawn of a Golden Age for western man might be around the corner.
    Unfortunately, new world wars will always be of future concern. I think throughout history there has been a "rotation" between Golden Ages and "dark" times, with the present being more in line with the latter. I'm not sure the relative intervals (in years) between good and bad times... but yes, surely a Golden Age is coming fairly soon.

Society

i suppose i'll do add mine scenario by scenario, more topic centered, starting with, hmm...

the rise & fall of the smart grid:

1. as renewable energy prices per voltage fall down while oil & coal prices go up, solar wind and geo-thermal energy will take larger segments of the energy infrastructure. increasing profit margins are pulled into lobbying, increasing regulation for polluting sources & stimulus funds for infrastructure across a large diversity of political regions, accelerating the process (though initially increasing the energy cost all around - people are outraged and protesting to no avail). more cost effective forms of energy transfer and large scale coordination allow an energy market to ensue, utilizing the excess energy from one corner to the other, consuming a larger daylight coverage & weather patterns. this infrastructure is celebrated as "the smart grid".

2. over time, solar energy takes an increasing larger slice of the pie, producing more energy for less money, bringing the extending infrastructure of other slices to a halt & negligence. many companies go bankrupt as a result. increased efficiency allows even low-sun exposure regions to be sellers rather then buyers, reducing the price along the market, and decreasing profit margins. less money is utilized to maintain the smart grid's budget, with related organizations fueled on nothing but bureaucratic entropy. more portions of the grid are breaking down with scheduled fixes and maintenance being set further apart form each other, while others are being abandoned completely. smaller and smaller regions are breaking off the grid, becoming energy independent.

3. eventually, households start doing the same, breaking off the grid themselves. solar cells become so cheap that they are built into almost everything for increased mobility & decreased energy downtime. wireless electricity allows items to compensate for each other's lack of solar exposure. the energy infrastructure becomes so imbued, nobody notices it or remembers what the fuss is about. water distillation becomes cheap enough to compensate for disappearing fresh water reserves.

it is note worthy that prior to stage 3, the decrease to pollution is marginal at best, as the infrastructure increases the demand of large shipments and import/export over the global market. many governments are selling old aircraft carriers and sea going vessels that are being transformed into cargo ships in order to survive financially, consuming oil the old fashioned way, while those powered by nuclear power are salvaged into the black market which is becoming increasingly more difficult to track. the probability of nuclear terrorism at that time boarders on imminence. adding fuel to the fire, large portions of the world food supply depend on african lands being bought and cultivated by international corporations. the resulting immigration of African refugees are increasing, while others are protesting or taking violent actions against it. human right activists are outraged for the disinfection locals, the rate of species extinction accelerates, the ice caps continue to melt, and squids become cheaper then tuna as oceanic toxicity levels continue to rise.

Society

for the 2nd scenario...

It's Swarming Crates:

1. in a time that cultural reception of self-driving vehicle technology is slowly grinding the wheels, where each accident becomes a media investigation and liability policy takes the front page, one sect of early adopters doesn't hesitate behind the wheel: deliveries. by adapting existing trucks and gaining the competitive benefit of 24/7 cross continental transportation of goods, a widespread statistical reduction in accidents, more predictable arrival times, and employees that don't demand dental and can never strike, increasing profit margins and price reduction bring any trucking company that doesn't do so to the ground.

2. soon after, home deliveries get included. even home companies that advertise on friendly human contact to pay off the marginal cultural shock are forced to "cheat" by hiring local delivery boys to hop on the truck while working at reduced hours, while cheaper companies utilize 2nd hand warehouse robotics within the trucks to function as vending systems.

3. as the technology becomes cheaper, smaller vehicles allow for more modular traffic routes and increased energy efficiency that become increasingly more economical then bulk delivery, and changes in the energy infrastructure decrease the return time on the cost of replace existing vehicle fleets. new vehicles are designed to carry individual packages at different sizes, and some are even able to connect and hold larger packages, often utilizing new fabrics to hold items of various sizes and maintain them in various weather conditions and required temp'. home deliveries do no longer depend on fitting to existing schedules & routes, becoming so cheap and ubiquitous that retail is starting to suffer.

4. the long predicted future of online deliveries & the internet mall arrives late, but it does arrive:
    - retail is replaced by new forms of advertisement, scattering products around service-areas in enticing displays: children's playgrounds advertising toys, catering tables enticing with samples of food and beverages, perfume fountains, and the occasional live advertisement shows.
    - as energy costs are being driven down, it is becoming increasingly profitable for crate-fleet owners to gain faster access to delivery bids by driving around the areas where the product is statically more likely to be bought, pushing the need for a nearby warehouse further away.
    - with the competitive berries of bulk-efficiency removed, a community of land owners are encouraged to join in on the transaction, exchanging luxury (non frozen) fruits & vegetables from their gardens & patio vertical farms. it is note worthy that such additional income is often required given the skyrocketing unemployment.
    - production lines everywhere can now break further apart, traveling on self-navigating wheels rather then rails, enabling an increasing level of customization and cost efficiency, including the licensing of distributed 3D printers for personalized parts and finishes.