• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computer Troubles

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
So I am on the good computer tonight and I wander away but when I come back I see the blue screen of death..... It couldn't find something. So I decide to reboot, and I keep getting a None System Disk error. What?

I reboot and still get it

I decide to go into the bios and see what the deal is and discover that for some reason it's not detecting my hard drive. What the hard drive isn't even a year old but there is no hard drive. Could that be a wire configuration?

Any idea what I should do in order to trouble shoot it?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
This may seem funky, but try reseating all the connecting wires to the HD.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I hope not it has ALL my pictures on it and it's not backed up

damn I so hope not

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I hope not it has ALL my pictures on it and it's not backed up

damn I so hope not
If it is then get yourself a hard drive caddy and a copy of partition magic. That way you can plug it into the new computer and hopefully extract the information.

Oh yeah, put your ear to it and see if you can hear it "spin up" like a CD drive does.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh yeah. Have you had an error appear on the BIOS screen reading "checksum error" ? Either that or has anyone pissed about with your BIOS?

If so it may well be that your hard drive is plugged into a RAID port and someone has turned RAID on.

(Just a passing thought)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This may seem funky, but try reseating all the connecting wires to the HD.

Yes, sometimes that does work.

Did you actually run the auto-detect again in BIOS?

Do you know your specs for the hard drive? Can you manually input the specs and see if that does it? The reseating is the first step.

It is definitely not a good sign, but there are probably some other steps to take. (I usually do not recall all of them until I have a problem, then have to research the issue online.)

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
If the sucker spins, it can prolly have the data recovered. Xander's suggestion of an external drive caddy isn't a bad idea. See if someone has one.

You can also talk to a data recovery service. That might cost--locally, a company does that for $800+. I'd help, since I used to do that as part of my job role, but you're not around here.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I did pull out and plug back in all the connections and what do you know it's working

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
I did pull out and plug back in all the connections and what do you know it's working

:nice:
Now, see.... If you want to impress all your geek friends, tell them your machine had "thermal creep."

Langrenus

...and if you want to avoid the panic in the future, go backup all of your valuable stuff, now...

</end hypocrisy>

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
yeah I will get to it... I think we're gonna buy and external hard drive... I wanted a separate one for all my pictures

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
:nice:
Now, see.... If you want to impress all your geek friends, tell them your machine had "thermal creep."

Is that the fancy word for when the chips heat up and get out of position? (My dad described that as happening to a computer I had before.)

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Is that the fancy word for when the chips heat up and get out of position? (My dad described that as happening to a computer I had before.)

Yup.

It's actually the heat-up/cool-down cycle repeated that does it.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
No, not overheating.

All those connectors are made of metal. When the machine is on and electricity runs thru them, they heat up and they get a little bigger--remember, heat causes things to expand. When the machine is turned off, the metal cools and contracts. These changes will be tiny, but after a while they add up. Eventually, the metal connectors don't have a close enough fit, the electricity won't flow, and your machine can't find the drive.

That's thermal creep. It's Newtonian physics. :)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Google itself is the best guide on hard drives. They use civilian off the shelf hard drives to store a lot of their information. I believe they released a survey a while back on how well the drives survived and (as the learned Lovecraftian Kitty pointed out) most failed due to being switched on and off. Overheating, overuse... pretty much all crap. If it don't fail in the first three months (or something like that) chances are it won't fail for several years.

Targo,
Get yourself a DVD writer if you want to be sure. It's then protected against water damage, power spikes and all kinds of nasty act's of sod's law.

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Get yourself a DVD writer if you want to be sure. It's then protected against water damage, power spikes and all kinds of nasty act's of sod's law.

Ok, geekish religious war time. :nerd:

Commercially burnt CDs and DVDs have a longer life than the home-consumer equivalents. An article I read recently dropped the life expectancy of CDs from 50 to 10-20 years.

We have a lot of competing versions of DVD right now. Will one win out and betamax the rest? Back in the mid-90s, we had problems with some CD players being unable to read discs from some CD burners.

And then you have the problem of software obsolescence, one of the best reasons for advocating open standards. It's also why many public records are stored on microfiche or paper, because neither of those formats are dependent on proprietary technology.

I'd definitely go for a DVD burner for backups over tape. Some external hard drive storage--like the network-attached storage device we use at home--supports mirroring and/or RAID array.

:happy: