• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Computer Troubles

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'd have thought that after 10-20 years I'd not be able to find the damn CD so I wouldn't really care if it no longer worked.

Permanent storage does not exist yet in the world of computers. Change and change regularly. It's the only way to fly.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Commercially burnt CDs and DVDs have a longer life than the home-consumer equivalents. An article I read recently dropped the life expectancy of CDs from 50 to 10-20 years.
Have you got any information handy on a similar comparison between burned and stamped discs?

rivercrow

shoshaku jushaku
MBTI Type
type
Have you got any information handy on a similar comparison between burned and stamped discs?

Handy, no.

It's one of those factiods that's stuck like a dead moth in my memory mansion's overhead lighting. I was responsible for electronic public records where I last worked (one of my many hats was "e-archivist"), so that kind of debris tended to accumulate.

I'll see what I can do about locating that info and PM it to you.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Appreciated. I could search and receive results, but not necessarily accurate results.

Last edited:

Chaselation

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there an equivalent of an online bank for data?

I.E. for a small fee you upload (whatever) and it is kept backed up for you. This would seem to be a good answer to data loss and would provide universal access regardless of location. I know there are a lot of places to keep these things but there are no guarantees. This would have to be a fail safe service.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'd have thought that after 10-20 years I'd not be able to find the damn CD so I wouldn't really care if it no longer worked.

That would be an archival/archivist problem. ;) I still have a burned CD with the original release of Windows 95/Office 4.2/ccMail on it from when I used to work on Thinkpad 750s and Deskpro 486 systems.

Permanent storage does not exist yet in the world of computers. Change and change regularly. It's the only way to fly.

Archival storage might run like this: Install applications on your computer to something other that C:. This leaves it open to store only operating system critical files. Install to either external or internal D:. Store all your critical data on network storage, something like a Buffalo drive for example. Backup up that critical data to DVD on a weekly/monthly basis (depending on how often you change the data). Keep your critical data backups someplace safe. What you can do is keep a copy at home and another copy at either a friend's, parent's place or keep it in a safety deposit box at the back. The idea being that if something happens at home, at least you have a copy someplace else.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ

I.E. for a small fee you upload (whatever) and it is kept backed up for you. This would seem to be a good answer to data loss and would provide universal access regardless of location. I know there are a lot of places to keep these things but there are no guarantees. This would have to be a fail safe service.
Yes.

sdalek

MBTI Type
ISFJ

.MAC
eSureIT Online Data Backup Service - Secure Remote Computer Backup Software for Business & Home

Some ideas, not endorsements. ;)
Research them and others first; Make an informed decision if you choose to go this route.