First 123 Last

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I'll see your and raise you a
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I did pull out and plug back in all the connections and what do you know it's working

Now, see.... If you want to impress all your geek friends, tell them your machine had "thermal creep."
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

...and if you want to avoid the panic in the future, go backup all of your valuable stuff, now...

</end hypocrisy>
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    enfp

yeah I will get to it... I think we're gonna buy and external hard drive... I wanted a separate one for all my pictures
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post

Now, see.... If you want to impress all your geek friends, tell them your machine had "thermal creep."
    Is that the fancy word for when the chips heat up and get out of position? (My dad described that as happening to a computer I had before.)

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Is that the fancy word for when the chips heat up and get out of position? (My dad described that as happening to a computer I had before.)
    Yup.

It's actually the heat-up/cool-down cycle repeated that does it.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Yup.

It's actually the heat-up/cool-down cycle repeated that does it.

so the hard drive over heated? is that what you're saying?
    Jung Test Results

MBTI
    type

No, not overheating.

All those connectors are made of metal. When the machine is on and electricity runs thru them, they heat up and they get a little bigger--remember, heat causes things to expand. When the machine is turned off, the metal cools and contracts. These changes will be tiny, but after a while they add up. Eventually, the metal connectors don't have a close enough fit, the electricity won't flow, and your machine can't find the drive.

That's thermal creep. It's Newtonian physics.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Google itself is the best guide on hard drives. They use civilian off the shelf hard drives to store a lot of their information. I believe they released a survey a while back on how well the drives survived and (as the learned Lovecraftian Kitty pointed out) most failed due to being switched on and off. Overheating, overuse... pretty much all crap. If it don't fail in the first three months (or something like that) chances are it won't fail for several years.

Targo,
    Get yourself a DVD writer if you want to be sure. It's then protected against water damage, power spikes and all kinds of nasty act's of sod's law.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Get yourself a DVD writer if you want to be sure. It's then protected against water damage, power spikes and all kinds of nasty act's of sod's law.
    Ok, geekish religious war time.

Commercially burnt CDs and DVDs have a longer life than the home-consumer equivalents. An article I read recently dropped the life expectancy of CDs from 50 to 10-20 years.

We have a lot of competing versions of DVD right now. Will one win out and betamax the rest? Back in the mid-90s, we had problems with some CD players being unable to read discs from some CD burners.

And then you have the problem of software obsolescence, one of the best reasons for advocating open standards. It's also why many public records are stored on microfiche or paper, because neither of those formats are dependent on proprietary technology.

I'd definitely go for a DVD burner for backups over tape. Some external hard drive storage--like the network-attached storage device we use at home--supports mirroring and/or RAID array.