• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Stephen Hawking the smartest person in the world?

Is Stephen Hawking the smartest person in the world?

• Total voters

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
These are all very valid arguments. I'm sure his level of intelligence is extremely high and he is among the elite in that sense. But I wouldn't say he is the single most smartest person in the world.

I think he is indeed extremely intelligent but the smartest? The best? I wonder how much of his knowledge is due to his condition - being focused on developing new theories and ideas simply because his condition restricts a lot of alternate tasks. He's had it for decades, I could imagine an alternate Hawking without the illness perhaps being more rounded. I recall him saying in an interview that it was the initial prognosis that he did not have long to live drove him to think in new ways and productively use the time he had left.

I would agree that in his area he is extremely smart, and then he could be an idiot in other areas.

The short answer is very likely not. Although he is known for his intelligence, and he no doubt is massively so, there are other factors beyond his intelligence that will have attributed to his status in the public eye. There are sure to be more intelligent, less public geniuses out there.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think all geniuses are eccentric.
I think the degree of eccentricity is somewhat proportional to IQ and, in terms of personality, Hawking seems to be much more conventional than I'd expect from the smartest person alive.

allthescientific

MBTI Type
INTJ
He may know a thing or two about calculating math equations in his head, but when it comes to other areas of thinking he doesn't have much knowledge. "Smart" is relative, so when you say smart, smart in what way? What does being smart mean to you? I have observed many errors in his thinking strategies by different documentaries with him and speeches by him.