User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default Mars one project

    http://mars-one.com/en/

    Anyone heard about this? Do you think its feasible and achievable?
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    I know of this and receive the newsletter when it occasionally turns up.

    They claim to have suppliers all over the world who can assist in providing the materials. Unless these companies go bankrupt I don't see why they can't deliver, especially with interest in returning to the Moon (which would carry with it interest in establishing some sort of colony for Helium-3 mining) and it would be easier establishing a Martian colony than a Luna one.

    Of course, the astronauts won't be able to return home (at least for a couple of decades anyway) and I myself would volunteer to go. The worst that can happen is that you are laid to rest on an alien planet and to me that is all flavours of cool. Plus the colony would not be self-sufficient for decades, centuries (if at all) and I can't see it becoming profitable outside of it becoming a super-spaceship manufacturing colony.

  3. #3
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better. I find it hilarious that some as big and important for human advancement is being stunted by their primitive attitudes to the concept of money, which is in itself very mundane in the large scheme of things.

    For future travel though, technology would have to advance to quite an extent to decrease time. Hopefully a fully-functional warp drive engine will be the eventual outcome, though this is very far on the horizon at this stage.

  4. #4
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better. I find it hilarious that some as big and important for human advancement is being stunted by their primitive attitudes to the concept of money, which is in itself very mundane in the large scheme of things.

    For future travel though, technology would have to advance to quite an extent to decrease time. Hopefully a fully-functional warp drive engine will be the eventual outcome, though this is very far on the horizon at this stage.

    Much needed research is being conducted as we speak. I believe the human race has a little bit of pulling together to do, on top of that.


    Soon

  5. #5
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    It's certainly achievable. In fact, the sooner humans get out there colonizing other planets, the better..
    I used to think so, but now I think we should be contained. We can't take care of our own planet, nor our own societies, nor other creatures on the planet, and not even our own bodies. Not that all of those have to be perfect, but we're beyond retarded. Space exploration is getting ahead of ourselves.

  6. #6
    Infinite Bubble
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Much needed research is being conducted as we speak. I believe the human race has a little bit of pulling together to do, on top of that.


    Soon
    I'm not too sure. They are doing research and - correct me if I'm wrong- have actually managed to warp a slight amount of space, but to actually take this and engineer something that works with as little energy as possible... seems far off.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I used to think so, but now I think we should be contained. We can't take care of our own planet, nor our own societies, nor other creatures on the planet, and not even our own bodies. Not that all of those have to be perfect, but we're beyond retarded. Space exploration is getting ahead of ourselves.
    Being contained, we will just continue to do the above, and probably destroy ourselves in the process. From a neutral viewpoint, we either spread out into space and mature as a species, or we stay and die; either from some sort of natural disaster, or a nuclear world war. Thinking purely for the advancement of the species (whether our advancement is a good or bad thing), it's either we go out into space, or we're extinct.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I used to think so, but now I think we should be contained. We can't take care of our own planet, nor our own societies, nor other creatures on the planet, and not even our own bodies. Not that all of those have to be perfect, but we're beyond retarded. Space exploration is getting ahead of ourselves.
    Is there any reason to be contained? From what we have observed it's all just rock, gas, solar energy and radiation out there anyway. The only way (other than culling a large mass of the population or letting them die out) to significantly reduce our exploitation of flora, fauna and ourselves is to spread out and inhabit much larger areas so we aren't all fighting our scarce resources (which will only become more scarce) until we disappear in a bang or whimper.

  8. #8
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Is there any reason to be contained?.
    I hate to be a bit circular here, but I don't even think we'll advance much without being contained and working out a lot of shit here first (and working together). Humanity needs to adopt a friendly environment and/or culture of science, in order to make real strides in science. We live in a world that uses science, but doesn't know shit about it. That can't work out for long. The more this improves, the more manpower, political will, and flourishing of ideas.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I hate to be a bit circular here, but I don't even think we'll advance much without being contained and working out a lot of shit here first (and working together). Humanity needs to adopt a friendly environment and/or culture of science, in order to make real strides in science. We live in a world that uses science, but doesn't know shit about it. That can't work out for long. The more this improves, the more manpower, political will, and flourishing of ideas.
    Don't worry about being circular around me, circular reasoning is something I excel at. You say we need to be contained to work out our problems (I believe Gene Roddenberry had a similar view) rather than venturing off into space but I do not believe that is possible with the limited resources or possible in humanity's nature. Humanity has always moved to new environments when the old ones do not meet their needs rather than going into deep introspection and living without these needs in the pursuit of overcoming whichever problems plague their society. The question I have: What if the new environment and the new resources are the only solution? I am unsure how much science can be advanced from Earth, for one we had to build the Hubble Telescope in space so we can get a better view of the universe. We can conduct tests but tests are limited in their scope here, you need sufficient resources to create lab conditions. If we were in space we would have the entire resources of the solar system to develop new proto-type technology. We would have the space between stars if we wanted to experiment on creating our own star or planet in order to fully understand our own.

    You do have a good point however, I see the strength in creating a bottom-up system which loves science but then I would argue an interstellar society would also require a bottom-up appreciation of science (if not more as an earthbound society really only needs to know how utilise technology and not the laws of gravity and propulsion for instance.) The people and their civilisations would need to be geared towards the appreciation of space-flight implications, ways of minimising radiation risks, innovating increasingly inexpensive ways of surface-to-orbit transfer of materials and the issues of delay times in long-distance communication and the effects on maintaining contact with loved ones. It would run quite extensively through a united and connected society across planets or star systems. As it would be doubly-vital to a civilisation's existence (not just to ensure technology continually runs but so trade routes between planetary bodies can be continually used) I can very likely see astrophysics being taught to children at a young age and it would be appreciated at the very least because it directly influences everyday life.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,153

    Default

    Double post, please delete.

Similar Threads

  1. One for the experts.
    By Xander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-03-2008, 05:29 PM
  2. One gadget you wish you had
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 06-19-2007, 04:15 PM
  3. Happiness, Children, and Are you that one girl?
    By Wolf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM
  4. Which one of you is.....
    By targobelle in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO