User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Windows 8

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Actually windows 8 is one of the first windows in a long time, I'ld compliment microsoft for. On a SSD hard drive it boots faster than my Linux, it has some sort of hibernate mode when it saves the system state to the hard drive, where it resides even after a physical power disconnect.

The new metro style is ok as well, makes it easier when you just want to quickly check on things. Sadly they did a complete separation between the 64bit and 32bit libs, which gave me some troubles to make a lot of old programs work. Some of them only run in a sandbox 32bit windows still.

Another good thing is that it basically kept the functionality and easy accesibility from win7. You basically can plug in any sort of hardware and it works in an instant with the correct driver.

As an office computer, win8 is definitly a good thing. Thats why I even bought it (dont remember to ever buy a windows that didnt came with a new PC). Still for engineering purposes its a long shot from Linux and real time compability
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I love it. I love everything. Xbox music esp.
    Yeah, I thought I had to pay for it at first, but it's badass. I guess it's the same thing as Spotify

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Some of the complaints I've heard boil down to.... "People don't like change".
    Nothing wrong with change, as long as it fixes or improves something worthwhile enough to bother getting used to it.

I haven't tried 8 myself yet. I've been forced through the XP-Vista-7 sequence at work, though switched to linux at home before ever using Vista there.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Thanks for the clarification, guys. It definitely makes sense that.. y'know, x86 applications would have to be recompiled for RT.

I'll have to do some more digging. Here's a thing I found at a cursory glance. If I give WinRT and hackin' a few months to mature, I might go for RT.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, guys. It definitely makes sense that.. y'know, x86 applications would have to be recompiled for RT.

I'll have to do some more digging. Here's a thing I found at a cursory glance. If I give WinRT and hackin' a few months to mature, I might go for RT.
    I wouldn't bother with that hack. If you really wanted x86 apps, you could get a tablet with Windows 8. You'll just want to be plugged in more often. Intel has come out with a new mobile chip to compete with ARM, but it isn't on the market yet. And even then, it's still not going to be as efficient, since x86 applications drain more power anyways. Especially games, pro audio and video, and photoshop. They're all cpu intensive.

WALMART

Played with a surface pro yesterday, and the money in my pocket is now on fire. If it handles the games I play currently, I'm selling my gaming rig to compensate the cost.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah, I thought I had to pay for it at first, but it's badass. I guess it's the same thing as Spotify
    I pay $10/month for Xbox music pass. I can listen to anything I want! But I also buy music. It doesn't control you like iTunes does! My husband is so sad that he has to wait 90 days to download HIS music because he downloaded old purchases onto a new device recently. I'm like... make the switch baby!