User Tag List

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Default Video Game Industry

The video game industry is so beautiful, well playing them and reading about them is at least. The mainstream publishers with most titles no. But the indies and just enjoying a video game yes! Dont you all just luv this industry.
    Hip! Hip! BOO!

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I am interested in how the iPad and the rise of smart phone games and the indie scene will change the game. Steam is developing 'living room friendly' PCs that run on Linux, and Steam is where it's at as far as buying games on the computer. It's cool to see artists like Edmund McMillen make major success.

And oh my god, Hotline Miami. The guy who made that knows how to build a game. He doesnt try to stuff as much as he can into the game and hope this shotgun method hits enough. Laser focus.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

WALMART

I like mainstream titles. Large developers can do things indie studios could only dream, though I suppose I can admit insufficient funding can craft some better than novel solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I am interested in how the iPad and the rise of smart phone games and the indie scene will change the game.

Well, we got the WiiU and SmartGlass, for one. I thought that whole crowdsourcing thing was really going to take off, but apparently it's already losing momentum...

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I like mainstream titles. Large developers can do things indie studios could only dream, though I suppose I can admit insufficient funding can craft some better than novel solutions.
    Im somewhat with you on this one. People tend to focus on the graphics when discussing the pros of mainstream titles, but other areas such as music, sound effects, animation and polish all tend to be better in the mainstream. Indie titles are good for innovation and niche interests. And they are important for that same reason. But for my day-to-day gaming? Mainstream games suite me just fine.

Kickstarter is doing something interesting for indie development. It has the power to give big publisher-size bucks to indie ideas that actual publishers would sneer at. The sort of projects I've been paying attention to are the ones that cater to the old PC gamers nostalgia gland rather than the real indie stuff (why the hell werent publishers doing this in the first place? Who knows.) Games like;

Planetary annihilation (Total Annihilation)
    War for the overworld (Dungeon Keeper)
    Star Citizen (Wing commander, Privateer)
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump