User Tag List

Thread: Single-Atom Writer a Landmark for Quantum Computing

Default Single-Atom Writer a Landmark for Quantum Computing

Just stumbled upon this by random, I wondered how this field was going, seems like quantum computing isn't too far ahead

What say you @ygolo
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

I've known about the method they were to use to do this, I'm surprised to learn they are just now getting around to actually achieving it.

The fact that atoms are incredibly hard to work with is a big contributor to what slows this down.

It's fairly trivial to read/write something digitally on the macro level, but atoms are ridiculously tiny. The kind of computer you're using now probably uses over a million atoms to store a bit.

It was a big deal when they got it down to 12 atoms a while back.

Since I was asked for my opinion directly, I think this could prove to be huge. Someone I consider wise once told me that when scientists achieve something, then its just research, but when engineers are called in to accomplish something, that means someone somewhere wants to make product. Basic R&D goes through what is widely regarded as a "valley of death" before it becomes mainstream.

Two major things to make note of here:
    1) The qubit used a single atom (this is a big deal, as has been pointed out), and shows how small we can actually get storage.
    2) The qubit was made in silicon (perhaps not as much a big deal has been made of this). The fact that the substrate is silicon means that is more likely that someone will find a way to integrate qubits in our conventional ICs.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield