User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am male. Yes

2 8.70%
  • I am female. Yes.

4 17.39%
  • Other. Yes.

1 4.35%
  • I am female. No.

12 52.17%
  • I am Other. No.

0 0%
  • I am male. No.

4 17.39%
123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Cool Would you have a neanderthal baby?

Scientists completed the first sequence of the Neanderthal genome in 2010, finding genetic evidence suggesting ancestors of modern humans successfully interbred with Neanderthals, at least occasionally. More recent research has suggested Neanderthal DNA makes up 1 percent to 4 percent of the genomes of modern Eurasians.

This may go down as one of the oddest job postings in history: A respected Harvard professor of genetics has proposed finding an "extremely adventurous female human" to serve as surrogate mother for a cloned Neanderthal baby.

Men, would you father a neanderthal child by either impregnating a neanderthal woman or by having your genetic material spliced with that of a neanderthal to be carried to term by a surrogate mother?

Women, would you have a neanderthal child by having sex with a neanderthal man or having your genetic material spliced with that of a neanderthal to be carried to term by a surrogate mother?

etc
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't want to have ANY baby
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

garbage

I'd do it, because I've always wanted to be a hairy beast and I'd be able to live vicariously through my child.

edit: In 100 years, when half-Neanderthals roam the earth, my statement will be seen as bigotry.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

now that the OP has been added to, I'll add that I'd have nothing against having sex with a Neanderthal man were I not attached... the boyfriend is hairy enough that it couldn't be THAT big of a difference
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I wouldn't carry a cloned child designed purely to be a scientific curiosity. Bringing someone into the world for that purpose seems grossly cruel and immoral to me.

Not to mention human cloning is illegal, and so is cloning intended to create human-animal hybrids, so whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Why?? Why would we want to make a Neanderthal baby?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Does this mean I'll get to make sexytime with Captain Caveman?

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now!
    They're releasing that in 3D this May, btw.

But yeah, wild -- that movie came out before my kids were born. And one's about to go off to school. science marches on!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.
    No one would ever break the law, of course. Especially in a realm like human cloning. (What's the punishment anyway? There are rules about it, but I'm not sure what the penalty is.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I find the very question insulting. Of course not. In fact, this spawn would be a clone of me.