• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you have a neanderthal baby?

Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

• I am male. Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I am female. Yes.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other. Yes.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I am female. No.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • I am Other. No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am male. No.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
That's cool. I'm not trying to say they're exactly human on some technical level. It just seemed like the tone of this thread in some places thought of a neanderthal as an "it", a thing, or a live one would be like dealing with a beast or something.

Nah. There's a lot of evidence that they communicated in some way, cared for each other, used tools and controlled fire. In fact, there's some debate as to whether they should be classified as a sub species of homo sapiens (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) or a separate species (just plain Homo neanderthalensis)

KDude

Nah. There's a lot of evidence that they communicated in some way, cared for each other, used tools and controlled fire. In fact, there's some debate as to whether they should be classified as a sub species of homo sapiens (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) or a separate species (just plain Homo neanderthalensis)

Yeah. I bet if one grew up in our society, he or she'd be a minor celebrity. Probably live a productive life, and when they grew old, we'd have a huge funeral for them. The whole world would cry. ;)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah. I bet if one grew up in our society, he or she'd be a minor celebrity. Probably live a productive life, and when they grew old, we'd have a huge funeral for them. The whole world would cry. ;)

Haha probably.

A lot of people confuse neanderthal to mean 'really old cave man' but actually there were much older and more primitive members than neanderthals. This is barring the colloquial and pejorative use of the term.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd be a surrogate womb for someone who needed one to grow their own baby.

But there is a reason neanderthals died out.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd be a surrogate womb for someone who needed one to grow their own baby.

There's a reason the Passenger Pigeon died out, too. And that reason was us.

It was said of the Passenger Pigeon when people sought to conserve them: "The passenger pigeon needs no protection. Wonderfully prolific, having the vast forests of the North as its breeding grounds, traveling hundreds of miles in search of food, it is here today and elsewhere tomorrow, and no ordinary destruction can lessen them, or be missed from the myriads that are yearly produced."

Less than 60 years later they were entirely gone.

Nicki

Retired
Bringing in a baby to the world just for the sake of a science experiment? No thank you, that seems cruel and I want my heart to be in it completely.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bringing in a baby to the world just for the sake of a science experiment? No thank you, that seems cruel and I want my heart to be in it completely.
Just because the scientists conducting such an experiement have that as their main/only interest, does not prevent others from taking more personal interest in the test subject. The parent surrogates would be likely candidates to provide this.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Possibly.

Well, there are probably a dozen good speculations as to why ... but I disagree with the premise we need to do this for the sake of genetic diversity or any other false premise aside from the desire to satisfy someone's curiosity. 'Cause that's mostly what this is ... let's not pretend it's much else but that.

There's a reason the Passenger Pigeon died out, too. And that reason was us.

Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.

Lark

Nawh, there's to many people spawning them already and leaving them to me to look after.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.

Yeah. I think it's a crazy idea to want to clone them and I wouldn't do it.

It's just that the "it's not supposed to be" argument isn't a very good one since we pretty much live on things that weren't 'meant to be.'

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought they didn't die out. I thought they integrated.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Last edited:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd be afraid of medical complications due to incompatibility.

W

WALMART

I wouldn't carry a cloned child designed purely to be a scientific curiosity. Bringing someone into the world for that purpose seems grossly cruel and immoral to me.

Not to mention human cloning is illegal, and so is cloning intended to create human-animal hybrids, so whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.

It's Neanderthal cloning. Have laws been passed against such endeavors?

Edit: I didn't read your whole post. My stance is still fuck tha police.

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] I meant possibly I'd do it. Probably wouldn't though. Who can say?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] I meant possibly I'd do it. Probably wouldn't though. Who can say?

lol sorry for the confusion ... I thought you were answering AGA! As in, "there is a reason neanderthals died out."

:laugh:

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
No child can posssibly consent to their own conception, so it's up to us to figure out if that child will have a healthy upbringing.

Such a child may face discrimination, but would likely also have good access to healthcare, education, and I think most people would respect them and endow them with civil rights/privileges, and they may be raised in a loving environment.

I don't think that's so bad.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know the exact differences with those cats. Neanderthal's aren't the brutes they are stereotyped as though. They were shorter than we are, for one. They didn't even grunt apparently. Evidence suggests the larynx was only capable of a few syllables and probably made a "nasal" sound. The lack of vocal complexity is also a possible reason why they lost the "arms race" with homo sapien. They might have not been able to communicate many complex ideas to pass off to a younger generation. Homo sapiens however kept improving and refining. In addition to that, they adapted so "well" to their conditions and hunting methods that they didn't have much of a need to evolve. What strengths they had became a weakness. Tigers seem a lot more resilient. They've adapted everywhere from Siberia to India. More than some other big cats (like Lions).

There we go, ... hand them one of those Stephen Hawking machines and we may be talking some really interesting ideas coming from our new friend... Interesting implications for medical professionals as well if the "adventurous female" would be okay with lots of MRI's, PET scans.. (Also, talk about stem cell research, I wonder what would happen if you did some stem cell transplants from your Neanderthal baby to humans. Need a comically unethical ENTP friend (eh hem, I'm pointing at you [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]) to help you justify why all of this is kosher.) Hmm... Lots of legal and ethical stuff too. Who has the rights to Neanderthal baby? Scientists or mom? Would we want to just let him live a normal childhood? Maybe- seems like a lot of scientific waste . But then to be a subject of all these procedures and talk shows and news interviews. Then we have all these psychologists on board finding out how the kid is coping being thrown in with a bunch of homo sapiens. Interesting for some musical artists too... Sad lonely songs about being a neanderthal. Or rap songs like throwing in grunting noises and then "like Neanderthal" in the middle of something complicated and irrelevant. lol! Oh man, no I don't think I could do it. Talk about consuming your entire life with your child. I would probably feel really bad all the time about ethics and just want to home school him and shelter him and do all the opposite of whatever they want me to do. Be fun to talk to Oprah and others maybe and have all these emotional women watching me during the day. Be on the Today show. But :dont: this isn't about me. [MENTION=9627]Chawie[/MENTION] plz. post some links. (Actually specifically the one about neanderthals being broad thinkers.)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought they didn't die out. I thought they integrated.

Why yes, they most certainly did.
article-1207603-061B45E9000005DC-598_468x684.jpg