• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you have a neanderthal baby?

Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

• I am male. Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I am female. Yes.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other. Yes.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I am female. No.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • I am Other. No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am male. No.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Scientists completed the first sequence of the Neanderthal genome in 2010, finding genetic evidence suggesting ancestors of modern humans successfully interbred with Neanderthals, at least occasionally. More recent research has suggested Neanderthal DNA makes up 1 percent to 4 percent of the genomes of modern Eurasians.

This may go down as one of the oddest job postings in history: A respected Harvard professor of genetics has proposed finding an "extremely adventurous female human" to serve as surrogate mother for a cloned Neanderthal baby.

Men, would you father a neanderthal child by either impregnating a neanderthal woman or by having your genetic material spliced with that of a neanderthal to be carried to term by a surrogate mother?

Women, would you have a neanderthal child by having sex with a neanderthal man or having your genetic material spliced with that of a neanderthal to be carried to term by a surrogate mother?

etc

G

garbage

I'd do it, because I've always wanted to be a hairy beast and I'd be able to live vicariously through my child.

edit: In 100 years, when half-Neanderthals roam the earth, my statement will be seen as bigotry.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
now that the OP has been added to, I'll add that I'd have nothing against having sex with a Neanderthal man were I not attached... the boyfriend is hairy enough that it couldn't be THAT big of a difference :shrug:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wouldn't carry a cloned child designed purely to be a scientific curiosity. Bringing someone into the world for that purpose seems grossly cruel and immoral to me.

Not to mention human cloning is illegal, and so is cloning intended to create human-animal hybrids, so whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why?? Why would we want to make a Neanderthal baby?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now! :holy:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Does this mean I'll get to make sexytime with Captain Caveman?

^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now! :holy:

They're releasing that in 3D this May, btw.

But yeah, wild -- that movie came out before my kids were born. And one's about to go off to school. science marches on!

whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.

No one would ever break the law, of course. Especially in a realm like human cloning. (What's the punishment anyway? There are rules about it, but I'm not sure what the penalty is.)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
a+neanderthal.jpg

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find the very question insulting. Of course not. In fact, this spawn would be a clone of me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was about to start a thread on this myself, albeit with a somewhat different focus, then saw this.

Not to mention human cloning is illegal, and so is cloning intended to create human-animal hybrids, so whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.
For now, and in the US at least. But I am more interested in what is worthwhile and even possible, than what is legal. Science does not operate by majority rule. I found the whole notion immediately fascinating. Yes, I would seriously consider participating personally in such an enterprise, were that necessary for it to happen. I would prefer to be less directly involved, however, the better to observe the results.

In any event, we study humans all the time to gain knowledge that will help us help others better. The subjects of these studies do not live lives devoid of love, kindness, independence, or purpose outside of the experiments. It should be no different with a baby having Neanderthal genetic material.

Last edited:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Surely they won't actually do this... right? RIGHT?

KDude

AFAIK, they are human. They just had strengths that prevented them from being as adaptive as homo sapien. Right emphasis for their locale, but wrong one for the general direction the world would demand. If one grew up in our society, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't seem primitive or retarded (i.e. a "caveman").

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because I am on the journey of transcending human form, I voted Other. Yes.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
how different are those things supposed to be? do they even have our AB0 type blood? i'm going to guess that there's gonna be a shitload of fetus incompatibility that will not allow the pregnancy to go forth. by the way, do you remember dolly? that was a really unlikely event, and if i remember correctly, the sheep died really fast (there was some problem with the telomeres, i think "it" had its mum's telomeres)....anyway, mammal cloning....yeah, the chances of success are REALLY really limited. like, it's just never going to happen, IMO.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A large number of serious technical questions would need to be addressed for such an experiment to proceed. The OP, however, seemed to be asking not about the technical feasibility, but rather the willingness of individual members to participate. This assumes the technical issues are resolved. Moreover, it is probably hypothetical for most of us since by the time it were scientifically possible, we would be dead or (at least for women) beyond childbearing years.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
AFAIK, they are human. They just had strengths that prevented them from being as adaptive as homo sapien. Right emphasis for their locale, but wrong one for the general direction the world would demand. If one grew up in our society, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't seem primitive or retarded (i.e. a "caveman").

Neanderthals are humans in the same way that tigers are cats.

KDude

Neanderthals are humans in the same way that tigers are cats.

I don't know the exact differences with those cats. Neanderthal's aren't the brutes they are stereotyped as though. They were shorter than we are, for one. They didn't even grunt apparently. Evidence suggests the larynx was only capable of a few syllables and probably made a "nasal" sound. The lack of vocal complexity is also a possible reason why they lost the "arms race" with homo sapien. They might have not been able to communicate many complex ideas to pass off to a younger generation. Homo sapiens however kept improving and refining. In addition to that, they adapted so "well" to their conditions and hunting methods that they didn't have much of a need to evolve. What strengths they had became a weakness. Tigers seem a lot more resilient. They've adapted everywhere from Siberia to India. More than some other big cats (like Lions).

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know the exact differences with those cats. Neanderthal's aren't the brutes they are stereotyped as though. They were shorter than we are, for one. They didn't even grunt apparently. Evidence suggests the larynx was only capable of a few syllables and probably made a "nasal" sound. The lack of vocal complexity is also a possible reason why they lost the "arms race" with homo sapien. They might have not been able to communicate many complex ideas to pass off to a younger generation. Homo sapiens however kept improving and refining. In addition to that, they adapted so "well" to their conditions and hunting methods that they didn't have much of a need to evolve. What strengths they had became a weakness. Tigers seem a lot more resilient. They've adapted everywhere from Siberia to India. More than some other big cats (like Lions).

Well yes.

What I meant is that they are human simply by being a member of the genus homo. Sapiens is a species of homo. Sapiens is but one type of human (currently the only type still alive) Just like tigris is only one type of Panthera.

How they acted and how they would have survived or not survived in modern times doesn't change that.

KDude

Well yes.

What I meant is that they are human simply by being a member of the genus homo. Sapiens is a species of homo. Sapiens is but one type of human (currently the only type still alive) Just like tigris is only one type of Panthera.

How they acted and how they would have survived or not survived in modern times doesn't change that.

That's cool. I'm not trying to say they're exactly human on some technical level. It just seemed like the tone of this thread in some places thought of a neanderthal as an "it", a thing, or a live one would be like dealing with a beast or something. They would be more similar to people than chimps (the vocal disadvantage, I guess, would be similar to chimps).