User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am male. Yes

2 8.70%
  • I am female. Yes.

4 17.39%
  • Other. Yes.

1 4.35%
  • I am female. No.

12 52.17%
  • I am Other. No.

0 0%
  • I am male. No.

4 17.39%
First 456

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I know at least one chick who'd be into that.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I thought they didn't die out. I thought they integrated assimilated.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    • A potential whole new range mentalities and PoV's diversifying our existing cultural developments.
    • The incredibly knowledge that can be gained about our development by means of differentiation.
    • The philosophical development which a broader scope of what it means to be human has to offer.
    • A near religious tide in environmentalism as we undo one of the first semi-extinctions by our hands.
    • A mid-term step into the brave new world of artificial diversification, but with the guiding hand and support of "nature already did it, so we know it works".
    • Medicinal properties: could their immune system offer something ours doesn't? could their pancreas offer solutions to diabetes, could their bone marrow help cure cancer? probably not, but there's only one way to make sure.
    • A whole new source for racism, which can diminish existing racism in comparison (i guess that's one a bit meh).
    • Another southpark episode with the infamous line, "they took our jobs!" <3

as far as the ethical questions go, we already have the precedence from other "science babies", and the answers are surprisingly boring: the parent is the child's guardian, the child will be a citizen of it's place of birth, any testing will demand the parents consent until he/she is old enough to decide otherwise, and will probably be highly encouraged considering they themselves don't know the child's special health risks, pharmaceuticals will offer to pay handsomely for some potential test results, and any negative treatment towards the child or difficulties in raising him/her can bring about the intervention of a social worker, etc'.
    Good job. There would be much to learn from such an enterprise, and many of the concerns raised are alarmist overreaction, as you explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This thread kind of reminds me of the old soviet attempts to crossbreed humans and other primates. Ah, those were the days. How I miss them.
    Nothing came of those attempts. Unsurprising, since from what I have read, the experiments were rather hasty, scattered, and suffered from inadequate resources and planning.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7x8 sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I would do so in a heartbeat! In fact, that's the only way I can see myself giving birth to anything.

Religiosity, why doth thou hinder scientific progress with your societal burdens and barbarous morals? Any woman would be lucky to lend their bodies in such a way, and yet, the idea is probably downright offensive to most people.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

in its most simplistic terms, I don't have anything against having a (half-) neanderthal baby.

But when the logistics of carrying and raising a child, especially an interspecies child, is considered, the prospect becomes intensely unappealing.

So to sum up: in theory - yes, in theory of practice - no.

am I being confusing?
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    am I being confusing?
    Nope. You're saying that if you were OK with carrying a human child, you would probably be well on your way to being OK with carrying a mixed species one.