User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am male. Yes

2 8.70%
  • I am female. Yes.

4 17.39%
  • Other. Yes.

1 4.35%
  • I am female. No.

12 52.17%
  • I am Other. No.

0 0%
  • I am male. No.

4 17.39%
First 3456 Last

Society

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Need a comically unethical ENTP friend (eh hem, I'm pointing at you @Mane) to help you justify why all of this is kosher.)
    Yes ma'am!
    comically unethical ENTP friend at your service ma'am!

• A potential whole new range mentalities and PoV's diversifying our existing cultural developments.
    • The incredibly knowledge that can be gained about our development by means of differentiation.
    • The philosophical development which a broader scope of what it means to be human has to offer.
    • A near religious tide in environmentalism as we undo one of the first semi-extinctions by our hands.
    • A mid-term step into the brave new world of artificial diversification, but with the guiding hand and support of "nature already did it, so we know it works".
    • Medicinal properties: could their immune system offer something ours doesn't? could their pancreas offer solutions to diabetes, could their bone marrow help cure cancer? probably not, but there's only one way to make sure.
    • A whole new source for racism, which can diminish existing racism in comparison (i guess that's one a bit meh).
    • Another southpark episode with the infamous line, "they took our jobs!" <3

as far as the ethical questions go, we already have the precedence from other "science babies", and the answers are surprisingly boring: the parent is the child's guardian, the child will be a citizen of it's place of birth, any testing will demand the parents consent until he/she is old enough to decide otherwise, and will probably be highly encouraged considering they themselves don't know the child's special health risks, pharmaceuticals will offer to pay handsomely for some potential test results, and any negative treatment towards the child or difficulties in raising him/her can bring about the intervention of a social worker, etc'.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Why yes, they most certainly did.
    Attachment 8899
    bwahaha. Girl, you know you're wrong...

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.
    I dunno, this seems kind of humancentric/speciesist. I mean the ethical issues involved with just moving currently existing organisms from one region of the world to another are pretty big too and are fairly similar. Look at kudzu in the eastern seaboard or the invasion of grey squirrels from north america in the uk for example. Have we forgotten that humans are dependent on other living organic systems to survive and that by increasing the kinds of biological interaction that are possible we can make this one living organic system which we call "life" on planet earth MORE robust? What makes us the magical unicorn exception?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    Yes ma'am!
    comically unethical ENTP friend at your service ma'am!

• A potential whole new range mentalities and PoV's diversifying our existing cultural developments.
    • The incredibly knowledge that can be gained about our development by means of differentiation.
    • The philosophical development which a broader scope of what it means to be human has to offer.
    • A near religious tide in environmentalism as we undo one of the first semi-extinctions by our hands.
    • A mid-term step into the brave new world of artificial diversification, but with the guiding hand and support of "nature already did it, so we know it works".
    • Medicinal properties: could their immune system offer something ours doesn't? could their pancreas offer solutions to diabetes, could their bone marrow help cure cancer? probably not, but there's only one way to make sure.
    • A whole new source for racism, which can diminish existing racism in comparison (i guess that's one a bit meh).
    • Another southpark episode with the infamous line, "they took our jobs!" <3

as far as the ethical questions go, we already have the precedence from other "science babies", and the answers are surprisingly boring: the parent is the child's guardian, the child will be a citizen of it's place of birth, any testing will demand the parents consent until he/she is old enough to decide otherwise, and will probably be highly encouraged considering they themselves don't know the child's special health risks, pharmaceuticals will offer to pay handsomely for some potential test results, and any negative treatment towards the child or difficulties in raising him/her can bring about the intervention of a social worker, etc'.
    Ahaha, the racism one is funny actually... You just want Jews off the hook so you can go back to being the natural Jew you are. Comically unethical ENTP pal with an ulterior motive.
    I will turn to you for all my science baby problems if I decide to take this on. Or any other life matters in general.

(also, eh hem, our bone marrow can already cure leukemia in many cases. www.getswabbed.org. I saved a life this way, and now I have the the authority to ruin a life. (Good advertising skills eh?))
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Society

Ahaha, the racism one is funny actually... You just want Jews off the hook so you can go back to being the natural Jew you are. Comically unethical ENTP pal with an ulterior motive.
    I will turn to you for all my science baby problems if I decide to take this on. Or any other life matters in general.

(also, eh hem, our bone marrow can already cure leukemia in many cases. www.getswabbed.org. I saved a life this way, and now I have the the authority to ruin a life. (Good advertising skills eh?))

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now!
    This thread kind of reminds me of the old soviet attempts to crossbreed humans and other primates. Ah, those were the days. How I miss them.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    This thread kind of reminds me of the old soviet attempts to crossbreed humans and other primates. Ah, those were the days. How I miss them.
    (supplementary video clip)

(I believe the episode in its entirety can be found on the Discovery Channel site)
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Why?? Why would we want to make a Neanderthal baby?
    Furrowed brows are in this year?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

A makeup artist would be a better solution...