User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am male. Yes

2 8.70%
  • I am female. Yes.

4 17.39%
  • Other. Yes.

1 4.35%
  • I am female. No.

12 52.17%
  • I am Other. No.

0 0%
  • I am male. No.

4 17.39%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.
    Yeah. I think it's a crazy idea to want to clone them and I wouldn't do it.

It's just that the "it's not supposed to be" argument isn't a very good one since we pretty much live on things that weren't 'meant to be.'

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I thought they didn't die out. I thought they integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yes, but their lingering DNA contribution only persists in a small percentage of the Earth's (human, of course --lol) population. I saw a documentary on it last year and of course, now I can no longer find it, but here is an article expounding on it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evoluti...als-human.html
    Last edited by iwakar; 01-24-2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: forgot to mention HUMAN
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd be afraid of medical complications due to incompatibility.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I wouldn't carry a cloned child designed purely to be a scientific curiosity. Bringing someone into the world for that purpose seems grossly cruel and immoral to me.

Not to mention human cloning is illegal, and so is cloning intended to create human-animal hybrids, so whether you consider neanderthols human or not, it would be very much against the law to create one.

It's Neanderthal cloning. Have laws been passed against such endeavors?

Edit: I didn't read your whole post. My stance is still fuck tha police.

@PeaceBaby I meant possibly I'd do it. Probably wouldn't though. Who can say?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    @PeaceBaby I meant possibly I'd do it. Probably wouldn't though. Who can say?
    lol sorry for the confusion ... I thought you were answering AGA! As in, "there is a reason neanderthals died out."

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    XXFP

No child can posssibly consent to their own conception, so it's up to us to figure out if that child will have a healthy upbringing.

Such a child may face discrimination, but would likely also have good access to healthcare, education, and I think most people would respect them and endow them with civil rights/privileges, and they may be raised in a loving environment.

I don't think that's so bad.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't know the exact differences with those cats. Neanderthal's aren't the brutes they are stereotyped as though. They were shorter than we are, for one. They didn't even grunt apparently. Evidence suggests the larynx was only capable of a few syllables and probably made a "nasal" sound. The lack of vocal complexity is also a possible reason why they lost the "arms race" with homo sapien. They might have not been able to communicate many complex ideas to pass off to a younger generation. Homo sapiens however kept improving and refining. In addition to that, they adapted so "well" to their conditions and hunting methods that they didn't have much of a need to evolve. What strengths they had became a weakness. Tigers seem a lot more resilient. They've adapted everywhere from Siberia to India. More than some other big cats (like Lions).

There we go, ... hand them one of those Stephen Hawking machines and we may be talking some really interesting ideas coming from our new friend... Interesting implications for medical professionals as well if the "adventurous female" would be okay with lots of MRI's, PET scans.. (Also, talk about stem cell research, I wonder what would happen if you did some stem cell transplants from your Neanderthal baby to humans. Need a comically unethical ENTP friend (eh hem, I'm pointing at you @Mane) to help you justify why all of this is kosher.) Hmm... Lots of legal and ethical stuff too. Who has the rights to Neanderthal baby? Scientists or mom? Would we want to just let him live a normal childhood? Maybe- seems like a lot of scientific waste . But then to be a subject of all these procedures and talk shows and news interviews. Then we have all these psychologists on board finding out how the kid is coping being thrown in with a bunch of homo sapiens. Interesting for some musical artists too... Sad lonely songs about being a neanderthal. Or rap songs like throwing in grunting noises and then "like Neanderthal" in the middle of something complicated and irrelevant. lol! Oh man, no I don't think I could do it. Talk about consuming your entire life with your child. I would probably feel really bad all the time about ethics and just want to home school him and shelter him and do all the opposite of whatever they want me to do. Be fun to talk to Oprah and others maybe and have all these emotional women watching me during the day. Be on the Today show. But this isn't about me. @Chawie plz. post some links. (Actually specifically the one about neanderthals being broad thinkers.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Why yes, they most certainly did.
    article-1207603-061B45E9000005DC-598_468x684.jpg
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.