• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would you have a neanderthal baby?

Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

• I am male. Yes

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I am female. Yes.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other. Yes.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I am female. No.

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • I am Other. No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am male. No.

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
S

Society

Need a comically unethical ENTP friend (eh hem, I'm pointing at you [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]) to help you justify why all of this is kosher.)

Yes ma'am!
comically unethical ENTP friend at your service ma'am!

• A potential whole new range mentalities and PoV's diversifying our existing cultural developments.
  • The incredibly knowledge that can be gained about our development by means of differentiation.
  • The philosophical development which a broader scope of what it means to be human has to offer.
  • A near religious tide in environmentalism as we undo one of the first semi-extinctions by our hands.
  • A mid-term step into the brave new world of artificial diversification, but with the guiding hand and support of "nature already did it, so we know it works".
  • Medicinal properties: could their immune system offer something ours doesn't? could their pancreas offer solutions to diabetes, could their bone marrow help cure cancer? probably not, but there's only one way to make sure.
  • A whole new source for racism, which can diminish existing racism in comparison (i guess that's one a bit meh).
  • Another southpark episode with the infamous line, "they took our jobs!" <3

as far as the ethical questions go, we already have the precedence from other "science babies", and the answers are surprisingly boring: the parent is the child's guardian, the child will be a citizen of it's place of birth, any testing will demand the parents consent until he/she is old enough to decide otherwise, and will probably be highly encouraged considering they themselves don't know the child's special health risks, pharmaceuticals will offer to pay handsomely for some potential test results, and any negative treatment towards the child or difficulties in raising him/her can bring about the intervention of a social worker, etc'.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.

I dunno, this seems kind of humancentric/speciesist. I mean the ethical issues involved with just moving currently existing organisms from one region of the world to another are pretty big too and are fairly similar. Look at kudzu in the eastern seaboard or the invasion of grey squirrels from north america in the uk for example. Have we forgotten that humans are dependent on other living organic systems to survive and that by increasing the kinds of biological interaction that are possible we can make this one living organic system which we call "life" on planet earth MORE robust? What makes us the magical unicorn exception?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes ma'am!
comically unethical ENTP friend at your service ma'am!

• A potential whole new range mentalities and PoV's diversifying our existing cultural developments.
  • The incredibly knowledge that can be gained about our development by means of differentiation.
  • The philosophical development which a broader scope of what it means to be human has to offer.
  • A near religious tide in environmentalism as we undo one of the first semi-extinctions by our hands.
  • A mid-term step into the brave new world of artificial diversification, but with the guiding hand and support of "nature already did it, so we know it works".
  • Medicinal properties: could their immune system offer something ours doesn't? could their pancreas offer solutions to diabetes, could their bone marrow help cure cancer? probably not, but there's only one way to make sure.
  • A whole new source for racism, which can diminish existing racism in comparison (i guess that's one a bit meh).

as far as the ethical questions go, we already have the precedence from other "science babies", and the answers are surprisingly boring: the parent is the child's guardian, the child will be a citizen of it's place of birth, any testing will demand the parents consent until he/she is old enough to decide otherwise, and will probably be highly encouraged considering they themselves don't know the child's special health risks, pharmaceuticals will offer to pay handsomely for some potential test results, and any negative treatment towards the child or difficulties in raising him/her can bring about the intervention of a social worker, etc'.

Ahaha, the racism one is funny actually... You just want Jews off the hook so you can go back to being the natural Jew you are. Comically unethical ENTP pal with an ulterior motive. :jew:
I will turn to you for all my science baby problems if I decide to take this on. Or any other life matters in general.

(also, eh hem, our bone marrow can already cure leukemia in many cases. www.getswabbed.org. I saved a life this way, and now I have the the authority to ruin a life. (Good advertising skills eh?))

S

Society

Ahaha, the racism one is funny actually... You just want Jews off the hook so you can go back to being the natural Jew you are. Comically unethical ENTP pal with an ulterior motive. :jew:
I will turn to you for all my science baby problems if I decide to take this on. Or any other life matters in general.

(also, eh hem, our bone marrow can already cure leukemia in many cases. www.getswabbed.org. I saved a life this way, and now I have the the authority to ruin a life. (Good advertising skills eh?))

virtual5.jpg

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
^ because the kids who grew up loving Jurassic Park are old enough to be scientists now! :holy:

This thread kind of reminds me of the old soviet attempts to crossbreed humans and other primates. Ah, those were the days. How I miss them.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This thread kind of reminds me of the old soviet attempts to crossbreed humans and other primates. Ah, those were the days. How I miss them.

(supplementary video clip)

(I believe the episode in its entirety can be found on the Discovery Channel site)

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:D A makeup artist would be a better solution...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Good job. There would be much to learn from such an enterprise, and many of the concerns raised are alarmist overreaction, as you explain.

Nothing came of those attempts. Unsurprising, since from what I have read, the experiments were rather hasty, scattered, and suffered from inadequate resources and planning.

Stumblebum

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7x8
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would do so in a heartbeat! In fact, that's the only way I can see myself giving birth to anything.

Religiosity, why doth thou hinder scientific progress with your societal burdens and barbarous morals? Any woman would be lucky to lend their bodies in such a way, and yet, the idea is probably downright offensive to most people.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
in its most simplistic terms, I don't have anything against having a (half-) neanderthal baby.

But when the logistics of carrying and raising a child, especially an interspecies child, is considered, the prospect becomes intensely unappealing.

So to sum up: in theory - yes, in theory of practice - no.

am I being confusing?