User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you spawn a neanderthal child?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am male. Yes

    2 8.70%
  • I am female. Yes.

    4 17.39%
  • Other. Yes.

    1 4.35%
  • I am female. No.

    12 52.17%
  • I am Other. No.

    0 0%
  • I am male. No.

    4 17.39%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 56

  1. #21
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    That's cool. I'm not trying to say they're exactly human on some technical level. It just seemed like the tone of this thread in some places thought of a neanderthal as an "it", a thing, or a live one would be like dealing with a beast or something.
    Nah. There's a lot of evidence that they communicated in some way, cared for each other, used tools and controlled fire. In fact, there's some debate as to whether they should be classified as a sub species of homo sapiens (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) or a separate species (just plain Homo neanderthalensis)

  2. #22
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Nah. There's a lot of evidence that they communicated in some way, cared for each other, used tools and controlled fire. In fact, there's some debate as to whether they should be classified as a sub species of homo sapiens (Homo sapiens neanderthalensis) or a separate species (just plain Homo neanderthalensis)
    Yeah. I bet if one grew up in our society, he or she'd be a minor celebrity. Probably live a productive life, and when they grew old, we'd have a huge funeral for them. The whole world would cry.

  3. #23
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Yeah. I bet if one grew up in our society, he or she'd be a minor celebrity. Probably live a productive life, and when they grew old, we'd have a huge funeral for them. The whole world would cry.
    Haha probably.

    A lot of people confuse neanderthal to mean 'really old cave man' but actually there were much older and more primitive members than neanderthals. This is barring the colloquial and pejorative use of the term.

  4. #24
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    I'd be a surrogate womb for someone who needed one to grow their own baby.

    But there is a reason neanderthals died out.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #25
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Possibly.

  6. #26
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I'd be a surrogate womb for someone who needed one to grow their own baby.

    But there is a reason neanderthals died out.
    There's a reason the Passenger Pigeon died out, too. And that reason was us.

    It was said of the Passenger Pigeon when people sought to conserve them: "The passenger pigeon needs no protection. Wonderfully prolific, having the vast forests of the North as its breeding grounds, traveling hundreds of miles in search of food, it is here today and elsewhere tomorrow, and no ordinary destruction can lessen them, or be missed from the myriads that are yearly produced."

    Less than 60 years later they were entirely gone.

  7. #27
    Retired Nicki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Bringing in a baby to the world just for the sake of a science experiment? No thank you, that seems cruel and I want my heart to be in it completely.

  8. #28
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    Bringing in a baby to the world just for the sake of a science experiment? No thank you, that seems cruel and I want my heart to be in it completely.
    Just because the scientists conducting such an experiement have that as their main/only interest, does not prevent others from taking more personal interest in the test subject. The parent surrogates would be likely candidates to provide this.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  9. #29
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    But there is a reason neanderthals died out.
    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Possibly.
    Well, there are probably a dozen good speculations as to why ... but I disagree with the premise we need to do this for the sake of genetic diversity or any other false premise aside from the desire to satisfy someone's curiosity. 'Cause that's mostly what this is ... let's not pretend it's much else but that.

    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    There's a reason the Passenger Pigeon died out, too. And that reason was us.
    Yes. Let's bring them back instead! Or any number of the other species that humanity has wiped out or is currently managing to wipe off the face of the planet, or let's preserve the heritage agricultural genetics that we're losing in astounding quantity year after year instead ... there's a better example for the biodiversity argument there at least.

    Clone a neanderthal baby ... the moral and ethical issues are so complex. I wouldn't surrogate for that, unless there was some scientifically valid and essential reason why we should try in order to save the current human race.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  10. #30

    Default

    Nawh, there's to many people spawning them already and leaving them to me to look after.

Similar Threads

  1. what core subjecs would you have in school?
    By Zergling in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-23-2016, 09:43 PM
  2. Would you have been a Nazi
    By INA in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-13-2008, 10:00 AM
  4. Pregnancy Art --would you/have you?
    By iwakar in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO