User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 17

  1. #1
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default Favourite Distros

    I am always on the lookout for some unique distros. So what are your favourite builds ?

    Ranked #1 and #2 for me atm are:

    Arch + a window manager called 'awesome'



    A quick and dirty arch out of the box called 'Manjaro'

    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  2. #2
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    I haven't used Linux or BSD in ages. I've wasted a lot of time doing so though. My favorite was Gentoo. I don't know if it's been improved upon since. It was right up my obsessive-compulsive alley, allowing me to tweak and build a distro from scratch.

    You would think a guy named "KDude" liked KDE, but I'm a Gnome man.

  3. #3
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I haven't used Linux or BSD in ages. I've wasted a lot of time doing so though. My favorite was Gentoo. I don't know if it's been improved upon since. It was right up my obsessive-compulsive alley, allowing me to tweak and build a distro from scratch.

    You would think a guy named "KDude" liked KDE, but I'm a Gnome man.
    Hehe, yeah now that you say it. Arch is my favourite, it comes completly clean and shiny and you can build your distro from scratch just like gentoo. Its pretty good for small server projects on ARM-boards, I have like interfaced every media center in my home with each other by now.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #4
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Hehe, yeah now that you say it. Arch is my favourite, it comes completly clean and shiny and you can build your distro from scratch just like gentoo. Its pretty good for small server projects on ARM-boards, I have like interfaced every media center in my home with each other by now.
    Oh, I didn't realize Arch did that too. Maybe if I get a spare computer, I'll try it out.

  5. #5
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Any Debian derivative.

    Give me tiled window managers, too.


    wmii

  6. #6
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Arch + fluxbox. Or xmonad. But, I'm a damned dirty, sexy, OSX user now.

  7. #7
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Arch + fluxbox. Or xmonad. But, I'm a damned dirty, sexy, OSX user now.
    eeek, you perp ! Tho if its not running on an apple product, you are set free
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #8
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    eeek, you perp ! Tho if its not running on an apple product, you are set free
    Linux is shit with retina.

  9. #9
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    OS X is the best implementation of UNIX out there. My 2c. It's sad that Linux never accomplished what Apple did in the desktop area, despite getting a headstart.

    That said, I'm dirtier, rotating these days between Win 7 and Win RT.

  10. #10
    Mojibake sprinkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,968

    Default

    I like Mint for desktop use.

    Other builds don't matter so much to me because if I'm being picky about a build, as for a server for example, it's going to be a stripped and custom install to begin with. I'd just pick something that has what I want easily available. I've built from scratch before, and while that lets me get things exactly how I want them with the kernel configs, patches, and toolchains, it's a pain in the ass so if it ain't busted I don't fix it.

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite Poems & Poems that moved you
    By Sahara in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 481
    Last Post: 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM
  2. Favourite commercials
    By Natrushka in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
  3. Mythology: Favourite god/goddess...
    By sundowning in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
  4. Favourite Simpsons Clips
    By Cerpin_Taxt in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 02:51 AM
  5. Favourite Joke/s
    By darlets in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-20-2007, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO