User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    ]I've built from scratch before, and while that lets me get things exactly how I want them with the kernel configs, patches, and toolchains, it's a pain in the ass so if it ain't busted I don't fix it.
    There's something cool about your software getting close to the "metal", so to speak. It doesn't provide much performance improvement though, except a little space.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    There's something cool about your software getting close to the "metal", so to speak. It doesn't provide much performance improvement though, except a little space.
    Yeah. I'd mainly do it because there's less likely to be any conflicts if I know exactly what's going in, what it does, and how it works together.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah. I'd mainly do it because there's less likely to be any conflicts if I know exactly what's going in, what it does, and how it works together.
    That too. Haha.. I meant it in some wonky mystical way though. Like how our brains and our minds are so entertwined that they are one and the same. I like the idea of software compiled specifically for the hardware it runs on (same idea behind low level/high level languages).

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    That too. Haha.. I meant it in some wonky mystical way though. Like how our brains and our minds are so entertwined that they are one and the same. I like the idea of software compiled specifically for the hardware it runs on (same idea behind low level/high level languages).
    Yup, I was a big fan of Gentoo for a while since it kind of does that in a way on its own since it uses Portage, which is pretty cool in itself. But since I don't really do servers or anything anymore I just kind of like something that you can slap in and it works.

But yeah there is some kind of mystical quality in being able to talk the language of the machine itself.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes, getting close to the 'metal' is what I like too. I set up my ARM board the raspberry with the state of the art distro raspmbc to have a media center xbmc; but upon starting it I found out that its pre-configured to be connectable to almost all devices. So it has a samba server running, several pnp, ftp or ssh ports open; it's a bit of a mess. Since its behind a router at my home it's ok, cause I can have it blocked and still mess around with it in the home network.

A few months ago tho I set up a home webserver for a friend and there you already are good with a distro close to the metal. Cause you can basically decide whats on it and whats not and dont have to investigate after the install which ports need closing.

I am currently trieing ArchBang, which is Arch+openbox. Looks nice so far, guess I'll become a great fan of openbox and window managers in general. They spike my battery live on the Acer AO-722 to about 12 hours with screen on lowest brightness and the system idling. And they are somewhat alien to the classic desktop environments, with which you could achieve similiar battery life (like xfce or lxde). That makes the computer experience a new one .

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Got it working like a breeze. That Arch distro is pretty easy to handle, never seen something like it before.
    Got Eagle and Dropbox from the inofficial repositories and they installed with no problems (just were a little work cause you have to get all packages manually).

This was taken with my Acer One 722 connected to a VGA@full HD. It has a battery life of roughly 6 hours, either with the internal monitor or connected to a VGA. On win7 I got it to 4 hours only.
    Now I'll test it connected to a HDMI. On win7 I got over 10 hours then, gonna see what Linux can do.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I love Arch that was easy, 64-bit in Netherstorm: