• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Microsoft's 'IllumiRoom'

W

WALMART

roomscan.jpg

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...hes-into-your-room-with-microsofts-illumiroom

Essentially, it will use a projector to display images outside of your viewing screen for increased peripheral awareness. They are looking to use it in conjunction with the Xbox and its Kinect add-on.

I think it's campy, but probably neat. I can only imagine having the cockpit of my starship projected upon the walls of my room.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Seems neat for about five seconds. This level of 'immersion' is a bit creepy to me, though - especially with that guy's glassy eyed stare while he's blowing shit up.

But then again I'm old fashioned and still have not been convinced that the Wiimote or Kinect are worth anything either.

The Nintendo DS with its dual screens and touchscreen is probably the biggest non-gimmicky innovation for gaming to date, IMO.

Edit: also if anything I'd prefer goggles so that visual information is smooth and consistent and not tainted by conspicuous bookshelf.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Call me spoiled with modern technology, but I'm not all that impressed with it. It's just a projector. So what? I could buy one and display it on the side of my house if I wanted it really large and "immersive," but I don't. It doesn't even look that great and it will probably cost way too much.

It wouldn't work with my TV anyway. It's in the corner of the room. :/

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
That is the stupidest name ever

Wii might have something to say about that.

---

I think it's great - maybe not in its current incarnation, but this is getting closer and closer to some really important integrations. Kinect and this gets close to the 3d head tracking that Johnny Lee showed (he then went on to MS). I was fiddling around with this, and let me tell you, it's pretty... freaking.. awesome. I was trying to do it in virtual space (ie: not using the tv as a focus point). Man, I want to go back and work on that now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw for the head tracking.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I think it's pretty cool.. Having the TV leak out into other aspects of the room--the fact that the room looked like it was shaking when he was firing.. It was campy, and frivolous but I thought it was pretty cool all the same..

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
Microsoft has had a history of recent bad names.

Bob
Xbox Music (what the hell?)
Metro AKA Modern AKA Windows 8 User Interface
Charms Bar
Windows 8 Store Apps
Google Play / Play Books? / Play Video? (I couldn't resist - and it draws parrallels to Windows Live too)

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Microsoft has had a history of recent bad names.

Bob
Xbox Music (what the hell?)
Metro AKA Modern AKA Windows 8 User Interface
Charms Bar
Windows 8 Store Apps
Google Play / Play Books? / Play Video? (I couldn't resist - and it draws parrallels to Windows Live too)

Well I'll have to give them credit on IllumiRoom at least because it is somewhat unique.

At least it's not one of those descriptive adnoun names like Braid or Amnesia. The developers for those are so damn lucky that they caught on, because these days a name like that is a fucking search engine nightmare. It's a habit that needs to stop, and soon.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's really neat! I also think it is a stepping stone to greatly increasing the way we can immerse ourselves into a game, movie, or other interactive media experience :D