• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which eReader Should I get?

A

Anew Leaf

I am torn... I love real books, but they take up space and I am trying to convert my life from one of objects to one where when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, I will be royally bored.

So I need an ereader... but which one?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use an iPad. It's a nice multipurpose device. Kindles are good too.

A

Anew Leaf

You have an iPad and an iPhone for those pedestrian activities fascinating hobbies of yours.

*sigh* But then I need more objects. The iPad is too big, the iPhone is too small.

-goldilocks syndrome-

#firstworldproblems

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love my kindle fire HD. I'm not a technology freak by any means, but I have absolutely no remorse about going all the way with the e-reader. I agree, I liked physical books too but figured I would adjust pretty quick and I read so much and so many books at one time that I figure it would make my life easier. (Same as making the transition from CD's to ipod). I was right. It's also a tablet, so you have the web and netflix and all the apps like a less fancy I pad. You may be thinking what I was thinking at first. "But i'm only getting it for the reading". Doesn't matter, I don't like working with my Iphone when i'm out of the house, too small. I'm generally really careful about the purchases I make and am always multiple steps behind the new stuff as I feel that lots of it complicates life more. This has simplified my life greatly. One of my smartest purchases ever given my lifestyle.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am torn... I love real books, but they take up space and I am trying to convert my life from one of objects to one where when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, I will be royally bored.

So I need an ereader... but which one?
No, you don't. Reading electronic copies rather than paper is commendable and advantageous, but get a netbook or tablet instead. It comes with more functionality. More importantly, it deprives e-book vendors of the ability to pluck volumes off your device without your knowledge/consent. Get books in pdf, and read them on whatever device you like.

A

Anew Leaf

No, you don't. Reading electronic copies rather than paper is commendable and advantageous, but get a netbook or tablet instead. It comes with more functionality. More importantly, it deprives e-book vendors of the ability to pluck volumes off your device without your knowledge/consent. Get books in pdf, and read them on whatever device you like.

o_O They can do that? Is that even if I use apps on a tablet? Or are you suggesting I find the downloads for the books I want to read?

N

NPcomplete

1. E-ink will make you blind at a much slower rate, perhaps even at the same rate as "real" books (if you do end up becoming blind from reading).

2. You can acquire books without vendors collecting data.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
o_O They can do that? Is that even if I use apps on a tablet? Or are you suggesting I find the downloads for the books I want to read?
They can, and have. See links below for examples (ironic that one involves Orwell).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

http://www.zdnet.com/why-amazon-is-within-its-rights-to-remove-access-to-your-kindle-books-7000006385/

I want no part of this, which is why I will never buy an e-reader. So yes, download the pdfs and put them on the device of your choice, with no link/connection to any vendor or subscription service. I keep everything I have backed up on my desktop system also, and just transfer what I want onto my netbook, which I take almost everywhere.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I bought myself a Nook HD+ for Christmas and I love it.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Absolutely right. That's why I bought a reader with no internet, so no shenanigans like books being deleted.

My Sony PRS-505 is quite 'old' by modern standards (i.e. 3 years or so), but I'm really happy with it; one of the best things I bought in a long time. I would heartily recommend a reader with e-ink display (as others have mentioned) because it's much easier on the eyes, plus the battery lasts longer (mine goes without 2 weeks or so without recharging, and I use it almost every day).

I recommend a reader in the Sony PRS line. They also seem quite affordable, compared to other readers.

Folderol

MBTI Type
INTP
Something Asian.

They are cheaper than American counterparts and usually come with the latest version of Android. They may not be as fast, but at the rate technology is moving I think investing in something expensive now is unwise. Yeah, there are complaints about battery life too, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. Just get into the habit of charging them more frequently.

ICOO D70Pro II looks like an incredible value, as does various tablets made by PIPO. However Ainol kind of "leads" trends in putting out the cheapest/newest things first.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a Nook Simple Touch and like it a lot. I'm not sure if B&N does the same thing as Amazon with removing your books, but I haven't seen any reports of that happening. Anyways, you can also load epub and pdf books from wherever you want onto it, and if you REALLY want to make sure your B&N-purchased books can't be removed, there are programs out there that will strip the DRM.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My (completely legal and non-download-oriented) advice: Get a good tablet of your choice and an e-reader that can link together.

I currently have an amazon kindle fire. (Not the HD one..) I love it dearly, it does what I want it to do, and there's an app. The app is important.

The light up screen does hurt your eyes after a while of reading.. usually after an hour or 2 my eyes will feel strained.
The screens designed to light up just enough to see the pages the way you would look at a book are definitely more pleasant for long reading sessions, and the battery life is much better (I charge my kindle every 4 days if reading a lot or 2 days if browsing the web and playing music a lot) than on a fire.

I like the multi-use of the fire, and it is my favorite travel buddy now... but I wish I had a paper-like reader just for reading at my bed before I went to sleep.. so if I came home from a doctor's appointment after reading on my fire out of boredom and then playing ninja games, my cloud would sync and I'd pick up where I left off on the fire and be able to read in comfort.

KDude

I've moved from Sony, Kindle, to a Surface tablet now (with Nook and Kindle apps), and I'd say it's the best solution. Better than iPads as well, since it basically functions as a productive laptop type of computer (with a free copy of ms office). At least, if I were to go to the higher end of ebooks, I'd just get a tablet.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say that depends on what you want to do with an eReader. If it's just read books, then the Kindle Paperwhite would be your best bet. It's affordable and I imagine easier on your eyes.

If you want more, I'd recommend a Kindle Fire HD, a surface tablet, an iPad mini, or a Nexus 7. All are multi-function, powerful machines :)

WesleyRomero

So I need an
android tablet ereader... but which one?

There is no better option than tablet. I love the device

Last edited: