User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    o.O They can do that? Is that even if I use apps on a tablet? Or are you suggesting I find the downloads for the books I want to read?
    They can, and have. See links below for examples (ironic that one involves Orwell).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

http://www.zdnet.com/why-amazon-is-w...ks-7000006385/

I want no part of this, which is why I will never buy an e-reader. So yes, download the pdfs and put them on the device of your choice, with no link/connection to any vendor or subscription service. I keep everything I have backed up on my desktop system also, and just transfer what I want onto my netbook, which I take almost everywhere.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I bought myself a Nook HD+ for Christmas and I love it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    No, you don't. Reading electronic copies rather than paper is commendable and advantageous, but get a netbook or tablet instead. It comes with more functionality. More importantly, it deprives e-book vendors of the ability to pluck volumes off your device without your knowledge/consent. Get books in pdf, and read them on whatever device you like.
    Absolutely right. That's why I bought a reader with no internet, so no shenanigans like books being deleted.

My Sony PRS-505 is quite 'old' by modern standards (i.e. 3 years or so), but I'm really happy with it; one of the best things I bought in a long time. I would heartily recommend a reader with e-ink display (as others have mentioned) because it's much easier on the eyes, plus the battery lasts longer (mine goes without 2 weeks or so without recharging, and I use it almost every day).

I recommend a reader in the Sony PRS line. They also seem quite affordable, compared to other readers.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INTP

Something Asian.

They are cheaper than American counterparts and usually come with the latest version of Android. They may not be as fast, but at the rate technology is moving I think investing in something expensive now is unwise. Yeah, there are complaints about battery life too, but I don't think that's such a bad thing. Just get into the habit of charging them more frequently.

ICOO D70Pro II looks like an incredible value, as does various tablets made by PIPO. However Ainol kind of "leads" trends in putting out the cheapest/newest things first.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFj

I have a Nook Simple Touch and like it a lot. I'm not sure if B&N does the same thing as Amazon with removing your books, but I haven't seen any reports of that happening. Anyways, you can also load epub and pdf books from wherever you want onto it, and if you REALLY want to make sure your B&N-purchased books can't be removed, there are programs out there that will strip the DRM.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My (completely legal and non-download-oriented) advice: Get a good tablet of your choice and an e-reader that can link together.

I currently have an amazon kindle fire. (Not the HD one..) I love it dearly, it does what I want it to do, and there's an app. The app is important.

The light up screen does hurt your eyes after a while of reading.. usually after an hour or 2 my eyes will feel strained.
    The screens designed to light up just enough to see the pages the way you would look at a book are definitely more pleasant for long reading sessions, and the battery life is much better (I charge my kindle every 4 days if reading a lot or 2 days if browsing the web and playing music a lot) than on a fire.

I like the multi-use of the fire, and it is my favorite travel buddy now... but I wish I had a paper-like reader just for reading at my bed before I went to sleep.. so if I came home from a doctor's appointment after reading on my fire out of boredom and then playing ninja games, my cloud would sync and I'd pick up where I left off on the fire and be able to read in comfort.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

I've moved from Sony, Kindle, to a Surface tablet now (with Nook and Kindle apps), and I'd say it's the best solution. Better than iPads as well, since it basically functions as a productive laptop type of computer (with a free copy of ms office). At least, if I were to go to the higher end of ebooks, I'd just get a tablet.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I would say that depends on what you want to do with an eReader. If it's just read books, then the Kindle Paperwhite would be your best bet. It's affordable and I imagine easier on your eyes.

If you want more, I'd recommend a Kindle Fire HD, a surface tablet, an iPad mini, or a Nexus 7. All are multi-function, powerful machines
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius has a Kindle Fire HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am torn... I love real books, but they take up space and I am trying to convert my life from one of objects to one where when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs, I will be royally bored.

So I need an
    android tablet ereader... but which one?
    There is no better option than tablet. I love the device
    Last edited by WesleyRomero; 04-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.