Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Which Smart Phone should I get?

A bit of backstory: Telephones are the one piece of technology that I'm behind the times with. I mean, I have a cell phone, of course, but it's a very basic one (and also a clam shell). Nothing that I could play with while I'm in the hospital or anything.

I'm ready for an upgrade.

To keep myself amused while at work, at a restaurant, on the road, on an airplane, or at the movies, and to make myself look less creepy in public by staring at and playing with an LED display instead of staring at everything around me, which will also, in turn, lead me to be more socially desirable (seeing how I'll seem to have a life and all) and whatnot.

But enough of that.

Which Smart Phone plan and device would you recommend? How much does yours cost monthly? Any help would be appreciated.

Anew Leaf

I <3 my iPhone 5. It's around $100 a month, which my company pays for since I use it for work. Mine includes unlimited data from AT&T and unlimited texting. (My data was grandfathered in... I don't think these plans exist anymore.) The data portion is $30 and the texting is $20.

Siri is absolutely useless for space travel or if you are kidnapped, FYI.

Glycerine

It depends on the operating system you want (IOS/android/windows 8).
    The carrier you have or want to switch to.
    The ecosystem you have with devices and services (Apple/Google/Microsoft)
    The features you want.

ATT: Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android), Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android), Apple Iphone 5, HTC One X+ (Android), Nokia Lumia 920 (Windows 8)
    Sprint: Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android), Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android), Apple IPhone 5.
    T-Mobile: Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android), Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android)
    Verizon: Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android), Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android), Apple Iphone 5, Droid DNA (Android) HTC 8X (Windows 8), Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (Android)

The above seem to be the highest rated high end phones right now.

The most popular phones right now are Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android), Samsung Galaxy SIII (Android), and Apple IPhone 5.
    Last edited by Glycerine; 12-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.

MBTI
    INTJ

Samsung Galaxy S3 has one egregious flaw: that glossy back shell. With the phone as thin and wide as it is, that glossy back makes the whole thing one slippery sonofabitch and awkward to handle. Other than that, it's my most wonderful tech toy.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I like my iPhone, but I'd consider jumping ship for an Android if I met the right one. I like the big-ass ones that are coming out lately, even though I would sort of feel like I was holding an iPad to my face. It's like phones got gradually smaller and smaller, and now they're growing again.

MBTI
    INTJ

My second most wonderful tech toy was a HTC Desire. That phone was a trooper and very entertaining for two years. For a smart phone it has a great feel in the hand and is powerful enough. It was a bit difficult to see in direct sunlight though, and was limited in internal memory. These days I'd choose a Desire S if I were looking for a direct replacement.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ISTx

iPhone.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I wouldnt buy one right now, prices are high. The last Iphone hype is over and more people look for Iphone alternatives, so HTC and Samsung entered the high price policy as well.

Generally I can advice you to never buy a handy with a contract. I have for 3 years now a Desire Z which costed me $450 by the time. I paied that in full and got myself a prepaid provider. Those providers send you a sim card, which you can have automatically paid monthly, so you do not need to manually recharge it. They call it postpaid now. I have a monthly fix price of $2 per month and pay per minute 9 pence. Included in this package is a 200MB data tarif which more than suffices per month. I roughly pay $5 per month, not using sms no more. I am using the mobile for business so it needs to be reliable and it is.

When you basically would choose a contract in which you have to pay more than $20 a month, its a rip-off. I have work colleagues who pay for their Iphones $100 a month an who still have to pay for their old Iphone models. Thats a huge waste of money on just a phone. For $300 you already get a small netbook, which is easy to carry and equipped with Linux a dozens of times more useful.

Be careful with high-priced models, its a huge rip-off at the moment, cause people are stupid. Give it another year or two and this hype will end and the phones will be reasonably priced again. The concept behind every of these phones are basically powerful mikroprocessors who are able to run small operating systems. Here's an example of such a thing, this "computer" is even able to run Linux. I have one as logic for a media center at my home: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi

The raspberry costs roughly $25 and the same applies for smartphones. The most costy is prolly the display but the manufactures roughly earn between 300 - 700% depending on how high their high price policy is.

Especially do never support apple ! They are not only very costy and dont even build their own phones, but buy their parts; they are inhuman as well. Its only one month ago when there was a huge uprising in one of their factories in China. Buying stuff from them, you'ld support third world exploitation...

If you really want a phone right now, look for older models or used ones. The older ones are first generation and pretty solid. The HTC Desire is a good beginner model. You should be able to acquire one very cheaply. I wouldnt pay more than $150. Thats about what they are really worth.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Is there anything to think about? This one, of course!

1211002_shout_vzn_note2_LP[1].jpg

I just called verizon and the Note for me would be $260 or $270, and $75 per month, with limited texts, and $100 for unlimited.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a Samsung Galaxy Reverb. It does everything I need without a huge pricetag. I also have Virgin service and the price is unbeatable (300min/unlimited text and data - $25/mo). I would never consider a contact. My husband has an iPhone 4 and he's said many times he would rather have my phone.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.