• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Laptop trouble.

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
So, yet again, I am having trouble with a laptop hinge. I have no money for repairs and am afraid to open or close my laptop at this point. Any quick fix ideas, even if it's just a lousy temp fix?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
You can probably do a fix but it depends on the model and where the cables or ribbon runs through to the top portion.

The hinge is mostly just a mechanical bit. As long as you know where the connections are and they don't get cut or pinched when you open it, it should be fine.

The big problem is that on some of them the ribbon is paper thin and quite fragile so be sure to locate it without breaking it. If you open it, open it VERY, VERY gently and carefully.

Or try to find pics online for where the ribbon is run so you can avoid pinching it.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Also if you find that you can open it safely without the screen dropping (and pinching the cables) you might be able to build a rig that holds it in the open position.

Maybe an angle bracket for mounting shelves could work. You could velcro or tape it up there.

The important thing is that the screen doesn't deviate from its usual turning axis.