• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NASA OR THE BIBLE

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For instance, we see this today in Germany where the hierarchy are blocking even their own inquiry into child abuse, causing the public resignation of the catholic in charge of the enquiry as a matter of conscience.

Ehm, no. I am definitely no friend of the church, but this is just factually wrong.

The German Bishops Conference ordered an investigation into the German catholic church's history of child abuse (after a researcher in Munich found that there had been 9 times as many cases of abuse there as the local bishop officially knew about). They contracted the Criminological Research Institute of Lower Saxony - an independent research institute - to go through the files of the last 60 years for the entire country - a three year project and an attempt at repaiting their demages reputation.
There were differences of opinion between some bishops and the head of the research center, Christian Pfeiffer, related to certain contract terms of different versions of the negotiated agreement (according to Pfeiffer the results have to be published in any case because many of the researchers are PhD students who need the publication in order to get their degree - on the other hand Pfeiffer also says the data protection concerns are made up because sensitive data was at no point going to leave the church and that he was fine with that but that some bishops didn't belief this; he claims the church added conditions to the agreement at a later point which the church denies while the church allegedly insisted on preapproving publications - supposedly due to data protection issues which are taken very seriously in German). Both parties acuse each other of lying and breaking the contract.
The church decided to terminate the contract with the Criminological Research Institute and contract somebody else. They claim they just don't want to work with Mr. Pfeiffer due to personal differences and will get somebody else.

Pfeiffer did not "publically resign as a matter of conscience", he was fired.

Mole

Permabanned
Ehm, no. I am definitely no friend of the church, but this is just factually wrong.

The German Bishops Conference ordered an investigation into the German catholic church's history of child abuse (after a researcher in Munich found that there had been 9 times as many cases of abuse there as the local bishop officially knew about). They contracted the Criminological Research Institute of Lower Saxony - an independent research institute - to go through the files of the last 60 years for the entire country - a three year project and an attempt at repaiting their demages reputation.
There were differences of opinion between some bishops and the head of the research center, Christian Pfeiffer, related to certain contract terms of different versions of the negotiated agreement (according to Pfeiffer the results have to be published in any case because many of the researchers are PhD students who need the publication in order to get their degree - on the other hand Pfeiffer also says the data protection concerns are made up because sensitive data was at no point going to leave the church and that he was fine with that but that some bishops didn't belief this; he claims the church added conditions to the agreement at a later point which the church denies while the church allegedly insisted on preapproving publications - supposedly due to data protection issues which are taken very seriously in German). Both parties acuse each other of lying and breaking the contract.
The church decided to terminate the contract with the Criminological Research Institute and contract somebody else. They claim they just don't want to work with Mr. Pfeiffer due to personal differences and will get somebody else.

Pfeiffer did not "publically resign as a matter of conscience", he was fired.

I find it sad Herring that your response to me is to engage in an argument. You had three opportunities to publicly engage with me in an imaginative conversation with your felines, Holmes and Watson, but instead you prefer to pick an argument with me.

I feel very sad about this, but worse, I am tempted to engage in an argument with you. But I find the thought of this debilitating and a betrayal of my values.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
11bkfaa.gif

bedeviled1

Of course this is the case, our religions supported slavery, misogyny and child abuse. And we have been emotionally and intellectully shaped by our religions.

Our religions are also institutions who are loathe to give up their power, even when they are destroying the psyches of children in their care. For instance, we see this today in Germany where the hierarchy are blocking even their own inquiry into child abuse, causing the public resignation of the catholic in charge of the enquiry as a matter of conscience.

Yes, Germany should follow the example of Ireland and Australia and have an independent judicial enquiry into institutional child abuse. It's plainly hopeless having the church investigating the church.

I'm not just referring to the Catholic church. Surely you can see how countless missionaries have brought the heathen out of filth and diabolical practices such as cannibalisn and child sacrifice to moral and lawful living. To me its like throwing out the baby with the bath water to use such a blanket statement. There's lots of forms of bigotry.

bedeviled1

No.

We know that with the gifted, in order to reach a higher integration, they go through a breakdown of their psyche.

Of course most of us aren't gifted and so we hang onto a lower integration as though our lives depended on it.

We prefer to hang onto misogyny, rape culture, child abuse and guns, rather than follow our conscience and reach for a higher integration. The price of intellectual and moral integrity is too high for most of us.

Interesting but I think women get a fair shake and even have the upper hand in most of society. Its always been but they feel inferior when they are actually superior in a lot of ways. They are definately mans greatest weakness.

Mole

Permabanned
Surely you can see how countless missionaries have brought the heathen out of filth and diabolical practices such as cannibalisn and child sacrifice to moral and lawful living.

Gosh, the Jesuit missionaries, "have brought the heathen out of filth and diabolical practices such as cannibalisn and child sacrifice to moral and lawful living", so you say, but in reality they have been forced to pay 6.1 million dollars in compensation to the tribal children of the north eastern USA for raping the children of whole tribes.

Mole

Permabanned
Interesting but I think women get a fair shake and even have the upper hand in most of society. Its always been but they feel inferior when they are actually superior in a lot of ways. They are definately mans greatest weakness.

And here we have misogyny and sexism writ bold.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And here we have misogyny and sexism writ bold.

I'm siding with Victor on this one. Anyone, regardless of gender can hold the reigns of authority over us, though it is our task not to submit to such barbarism, but rather to respect our differences and work together in the achievement of universal enlightenment, ultimately resulting in world peace. It follows that we must transcend our minds above such categories.