User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 110

  1. #31
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    What does the Mayan calendar have to do with the Bible?

  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't think people largely appreciate how precarious and fragile their existence is.
    At the quantum level of atoms movement is at enormous speeds and completely predictable and stable.

    Our whole existence is based on the predicability and stability of atoms, so, far from being precarious, our existence is robust.

  3. #33
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545
    Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    I saw on the news that NASA put out a video to calm the fears of people who were concerned about the Myan prophecy Doomsday prediction. They were assuring people that the world was NOT going to end anytime soon. That tomorrow will be just like today.
    It occured to me that a lot of people today are looking to scientists for assurance and comfort in things concerning the future (and the past).
    Do you think that it is wise for people to shift their trust in the future from sources such as the Bible ,religous leaders, counsellors ... to the scientific elite?
    Since the Enlighenment in the West in the 17th and 18th centuries we have valued evidence and reason more than astrology, mbti, the bible, religious leaders, and counsellors.

    And as the work of scientists is based on evidence and reason, we value the advice of scientists more than the advice of the superstitious.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    The below post by me in another end of the world thread is my opinion on what could transpire later, "not necessarily end of the world-wise":

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    @Riva you say nothing happened, and indeed nothing observable happened yesterday, and indeed nothing observable may even happen later on, though you are acting as if it's already over and, frankly, it probably is, but for all we know, today is the beginning of the end; or the beginning of a more prosperous time - or just another average day (which seems to be the most likely scenario, but don't jump to conclusions just yet).

    Whatever the future holds in store though, it appears more clear that it must be shaped by our own hands, rather than from a salvation wrought into being by other powers.

  5. #35
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Then the next question in the chain is, "What began God?"

    The easy answer is that he has always existed, though somehow such an explanation doesn't really seem to explain anything.

    I think the reason we are here is because there is consciousness, as without it, even if reality existed, there would be nothing to perceive it, hence it would be as if it didn't exist.

    It follows that if you wish to seriously pursue this question, you should began by discovering the nature of the mind, as it seems to be the mind that creates our world.
    Interesting.
    "May you live all the days of your life"

  6. #36
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think EffEmDoubleYou spoke about that in general, when he said you trust science with science stuff and religion with religious stuff.

    If I want to worry about my spiritual well-being and my own conceptions of morality, it makes more sense to go to religious sources. And if I need heart surgery, I would go to a doctor; or if I want to understand how the world works and statistically what the odds are that it will end tonight (and a review of the evidence), I'd look more toward science.

    Religion has a terrible track record on "end of the world" scenarios, you know that, right? Every time someone has said from a religious standpoint that "the end of the world is coming," they have been utterly and completely wrong.



    That is a decent pragmatic answer. I mean, really -- we should be making the most of life each day regardless.
    Maybe I shouldn't have brought religion into it. Maybe religion doesn't have much to do with the Bibles authority. What do you think?
    "May you live all the days of your life"

  7. #37
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Only if you believe that either one can explain everything, which I think is foolish.

    I guess that's my problem, I'm looking for answers, and foolish enough to think I can find them.
    "May you live all the days of your life"

  8. #38
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Haha, I doubt it's literally true as well. I think the Christian God doesn't interfere much with fate (though I might be mistaken), and lets us run our own course. If God exists outside of time - which is probably true if "He" isn't a physical being - the future is very much the present, as is the past, so it would be more than just a prediction for the future, or God telling us "I will do this to you", but rather him saying "I know what you will do in the future - you will have decided, not me; I just know because the future is the present to me - so don't despair, there will be a time when you (humanity) will have overcome your present problems and weaknesses." The message is by no means to sit around and wait until salvation comes; the message is: salvation will come, but you will have to get it yourselves.

    Perhaps when it's said "he will come like a thief in the night", it means that the terrible Zeitgeist will be broken by a remarkable individual.
    I appreciate that you said , I might be mistaken.
    "May you live all the days of your life"

  9. #39
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete View Post
    Haha, I doubt it's literally true as well. I think the Christian God doesn't interfere much with fate (though I might be mistaken), and lets us run our own course. If God exists outside of time - which is probably true if "He" isn't a physical being - the future is very much the present, as is the past, so it would be more than just a prediction for the future, or God telling us "I will do this to you", but rather him saying "I know what you will do in the future - you will have decided, not me; I just know because the future is the present to me - so don't despair, there will be a time when you (humanity) will have overcome your present problems and weaknesses." The message is by no means to sit around and wait until salvation comes; the message is: salvation will come, but you will have to get it yourselves.

    Perhaps when it's said "he will come like a thief in the night", it means that the terrible Zeitgeist will be broken by a remarkable individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    What does the Mayan calendar have to do with the Bible?
    What I wondered was what does NASA have to do with it. Better yet , can NASA take the role as predicting our future and can we trust them to do so?
    "May you live all the days of your life"

  10. #40
    Senior Member bedeviled1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    At the quantum level of atoms movement is at enormous speeds and completely predictable and stable.

    Our whole existence is based on the predicability and stability of atoms, so, far from being precarious, our existence is robust.
    That too is a theory albeit a very interesting one, which I think the Hadron Collider? , as far as I can understand hasn't produced the particle they were looking for to join the theory of relativity and gravity. (Do not quote me on that)

    All these theories and mega number of examples and studies and trillions of dollars. But, were getting close. It seems with enough research you can have a theory on just about anything but if you just stop and look around then (I) wonder about just how valid they are.
    You know one thing that amazes me is a briar. Yes, they are made/evolved so they grab you in a way to hold on the more you pull. Hmmm, that's just something to me.
    "May you live all the days of your life"

Similar Threads

  1. The Bible has credibility even among athiests? Hell idk
    By professor goodstain in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 12:17 AM
  2. 'The Bible is no longer considered part of the conversation'
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 172
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM
  3. How literally should the Bible be interpreted?
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 02-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO