User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Many people look to the wrong sources for answers. I don't read photography books in order to write better software.
    Good point
    "May you live all the days of your life"

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I look to science to answer the questions science is best equipped to answer and I look to religion to answer the questions religion is best equipped to answer. I don't see why we have to choose.
    Is it not tied together?

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Yes perhaps you are right. I think some religious cosmologies posit the Earth will be transformed into some kind of higher state, after the return of Christ and the millenium of peace, of course.

Still though, I have a hard time believing it is all literally true.

Personally, I believe it is healthier to bring the future into our own hands, rather then letting fate and the whim of the Gods dictate its course.
    What if God began our future?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

Not even the Angels know when the world will end, and neither does NASA. You should live each day as if it was your last (could be a good or bad thing).

MBTI
    xxTP

Anyone who believed the world would end today was too fucking retarded to understand something NASA says anyway, so why bother?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled1 View Post
    What if God began our future?
    Then the next question in the chain is, "What began God?"

The easy answer is that he has always existed, though somehow such an explanation doesn't really seem to explain anything.

I think the reason we are here is because there is consciousness, as without it, even if reality existed, there would be nothing to perceive it, hence it would be as if it didn't exist.

It follows that if you wish to seriously pursue this question, you should began by discovering the nature of the mind, as it seems to be the mind that creates our world.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What would be a case otherwise do you think?
    I think EffEmDoubleYou spoke about that in general, when he said you trust science with science stuff and religion with religious stuff.

If I want to worry about my spiritual well-being and my own conceptions of morality, it makes more sense to go to religious sources. And if I need heart surgery, I would go to a doctor; or if I want to understand how the world works and statistically what the odds are that it will end tonight (and a review of the evidence), I'd look more toward science.

Religion has a terrible track record on "end of the world" scenarios, you know that, right? Every time someone has said from a religious standpoint that "the end of the world is coming," they have been utterly and completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    Not even the Angels know when the world will end, and neither does NASA. You should live each day as if it was your last (could be a good or bad thing).
    That is a decent pragmatic answer. I mean, really -- we should be making the most of life each day regardless.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    No they can't.

Science can only guess at what will happen tomorrow as they have no control over it and no direct knowledge of the future.
    You preclude the possibility that divine intervention may be a fiction of man's imagination.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Do you think that it is wise for people to shift their trust in the future from sources such as the Bible ,religous leaders, counsellors ... to the scientific elite?
    We can't trust any, they all have agendas!

Anyways, common sense alone should exclude bible as a reference. From there, it gets less obvious.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Is this no-brainer of what things each system is good at really going to become yet another unnecessary polarized conflict between the religious and science extremists?

I mean, really. The Mayan doomsday was kind of one big cultural joke from the start; and it's pretty clear that science isn't perfect, but there is no data that would indicate the world would end today, and religious "end of world" scenarios have simply not proven themselves when they've been promoted without any real data either... which, is like, every time through now.

It's just a joke Doomsday. What's the big deal?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft