User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But the killer is that Macs are used in Heaven while PCs are used in the Other Place.
    So I guess that means you won't be using one then, eh?

Mac that is.

Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    So I guess that means you won't be using one then, eh?

Mac that is.
    It's true I am passing fond of a little devil in upstate NY, but is this enough to tempt me to a PC?

It's true a PC is a passport to the Other Place, but would I want to imperil my immortal soul for a dalliance with a dainty devil?

It would depend entirely on the tone of her voice.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by AvereX View Post
    people at work who work in the film industry [ hint ] say that juxtaposed to Macs, PC's are

~ slow , too vulnerable to viruses

i concede on their behalf that this may be subjective
    The part about viruses is indeed subjective. If Mac was the market leader there would be just as much viruses. Or Unix for that matter.

I'm a network administrator for an entirely windows based network. The choices for me are mainly :

-flexibility : I can add RAM to a machine, I can replace a hard disk etc with minimal hassle. As far as I'm aware you have to turn in Macs for that sort of stuff.
    -cost
    -the enormous amount of available utilities for windows systems
    -conformity (office documents have been a professional standard for the past 10 years, and only recently there are free, truely trustworthy alternatives (OpenOffice, PDF, ...). This is particulary applicable in the exchange of data files with other companies & people.
    -rightclicking...and so on

I'm definitely not against mac. My first computer was the 1st generation imac. It's not all black-white.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    truely trustworthy alternatives (OpenOffice, PDF, ...). This is particulary applicable in the exchange of data files with other companies & people.
    yes, well this reminds me of the time I tried to download a PDF document that I had read before, or so I thought. I simply needed to study up on a topic and thought I'd reread it. However what I found was a version of a children's story. You might know of it. It was titled THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLF.

The word "trustworthy" means different things in different contexts.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    I have been an Apple computer owner for 31 years running, and my experience with the company has been good to say the least. I've never had a problem with any of my machines, including the 10-year-old Mac this is being typed on.
    I call bullshit, unless you lived in the Bay Area and own (or owned) one of the mere couple hundred Apple I PC kits, or an Apple II the moment they came out in the same area.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    2. Get a top-of-the-line machine for $1000 and replace it in ten years when parts begin to fail (or begin replacing parts, which could extend the computer's life by a few years, but may not be worth the cost).
    They'll start failing before that. Current computer hardware appears to start failing within a few years, and by the time it does the replacement parts are usually scarce. Again, computers are now designed to be effectively disposable.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I call bullshit, unless you lived in the Bay Area and own (or owned) one of the mere couple hundred Apple I PC kits, or an Apple II the moment they came out in the same area.
    It was an Apple ][.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    It was an Apple ][.

cheers,
    Ian
    I remember using a Commodore Pet, back then. That is unless someone calls bullshit on me, too

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I remember using a Commodore Pet, back then. That is unless someone calls bullshit on me, too
    I'd believe that, but those were also dramatically more common than the rather rare (at least initially) Apple II.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Agreed... unfortunately, there's also another sillier reason... they've just become inured to the Windows start bar, and min, max, close buttons at the top right of the screen configured in that Windows style...
    Like driving on the other side of the road, only more confounding. However much I enjoy using my Mac, I share EffEmDoubleyou's reflexive preference. More intuitive or not, the Windows GUI is completely tucked into my cerebellum. With the Mac, I still need to think.