123 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Plot Hole In H.G. Wells' "The Time Machine"

They have a time machine, but only candlelight and no automobiles. Especially no automobiles. You'd think they would have spatial travel mastered first. But no, somehow someone mastered time travel first.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I would have thought the premise of time travel in the first place would be the most questionable aspect of the story....

Oh did you ever watch the recent movie of The Time Machine? There was a single automobile in that one, well ok an early prototype, although it didn't really encompass the story as it is in the book, in fact there are a few forth wall references in the film.

I understand your point of course. It makes sense that advanced methods of spatial travel should really have been developed first.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

What only one?

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I would have thought the premise of time travel in the first place would be the most questionable aspect of the story....

Oh did you ever watch the recent movie of The Time Machine? There was a single automobile in that one, well ok an early prototype, although it didn't really encompass the story as it is in the book, in fact there are a few forth wall references in the film.

I understand your point of course. It makes sense that advanced methods of spatial travel should really have been developed first.
    I watched one movie years ago. If time is seen as a fourth dimension of space, then we are all traveling in the same direction and at the same speed. Wells's character invented a machine that can travel forward and backward through the fourth dimension at great speeds.

But notice that the Time Traveller had a subjective impression of the passage of time during his voyage. Moving forward 800,000 years took, let's say, 15 minutes. Or it could have been 3 hours.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What only one?
    I've barely started the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    I've barely started the book.

Its a great book, I love Well's books but there are others I prefer to that one. Actually I think I liked War of The Worlds the best.

I seriously recommend the earliest film adaptation of that book, absolute classic, I think surpasses the book itself but avoid the more recent one with Jeremy Irons in it, it has more to do with Morlock Night or other "sequels" to the novel by other authors than the novel itself.

I don't think it's a plothole so much as it's just a book written before the automobile.

Is that too literal for you? :|

As a way to mentally relieve the issue and trick yourself, how about "believing" in a fake theory on time travel - that big events and achievements like automobiles create vast ripples and change the trajectory of where time is heading. They change the course of time. So if you had a time travel machine before the invention of automobiles, jumping into the future would only take you into a future without those ripples.

In a sense, science fact creates more interesting science fiction..

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't think it's a plothole so much as it's just a book written before the automobile.

Is that too literal for you? :|

As a way to mentally relieve the issue and trick yourself, how about "believing" in a fake theory on time travel - that big events and achievements like automobiles create vast ripples and change the trajectory of where time is heading. They change the course of time. So if you had a time travel machine before the invention of automobiles, jumping into the future would only take you into a future without those ripples.

In a sense, science fact creates more interesting science fiction..
    It's possible I was making fun of the "plot-hole" meme so popular on IMDB. But there could be a plot-hole in the fact that neither the time machine nor the time traveller aged 800,000 years.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Good catch, Mr. INT*P!