• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Locked Laptop.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, my stepbrother gave me his old laptop awhile back.
The reason?
He forgot his password/couldn't figure out how to get back in. He said fuck it, & got himself a Macbook instead.. he was going to throw the old laptop into the trash, but I asked to take a look at it. He said I could keep it, so... :shrug:

I have a desktop PC I always use, but I keep meaning to figure out how the heck to unlock this thing without a password. He doesn't remember at all.. his password hint is 'oreo' :huh: and he has no clue what it's related to. I've tried a million password ideas to no avail. If I click the ''Forgot Password?'' thing, a window pops up, explaining if you forgot your password, you need a ''recovery disk.''

Now, if it's not obvious already, I'll clarify that I am not tech savvy in the least.. I'm probably worse than senior citizens. So, not knowing precisely wtf a recovery disk was, I googled it/skimmed through some stuff. If I understand correctly, it's a backup of the original factory settings that you're supposed to create on a CD-R/flash drive when you first use the computer. I got a blank look from my stepbro when I asked if he knew anything about this/had one.

I searched the internet for other solutions, perusing random tech forums.. most of the information I either didn't understand :17425:.. or people posting about the same problem were just accused of stealing the laptop.

If anyone has any idea how to assist me with breaking into this stupid thing, please post here. Ideally I'd like to avoid spending $ to resolve this.

The laptop is a Compaq hp Presario CQ60 - runs on Windows Vista. [if that's relevant]

Thanks! *tips hat*

-Lex

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
but seriously...
it's worthless. send it to africa and collect your tax deduction.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
format and clean install.

she doesn't know how.
and probably no longer has the requisite materials or the wit to acquire them.

As I said, I'm not tech savvy at all or I would've figured this out. Some of the most simple computer terminology is lost on me, actually. I just know how to navigate for things I generally need.
Durr.

Permabanned
she doesn't know how.
and probably no longer has the requisite materials or the wit to acquire them.

As I said, I'm not tech savvy at all or I would've figured this out. Some of the most simple computer terminology is lost on me, actually. I just know how to navigate for things I generally need.
Durr.

No one implied otherwise; my suggestion is a simple solution to the OP, regardless of who has the tools & know-how to perform it. I'm sure help will be offered/provided if solicited.

Last edited:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No one implied otherwise; it's a simple solution to the OP, regardless of who has the tools & know-how to perform it. I'm sure help will be offered/provided if solicited.

Simple to whom, exactly? :laugh:

I'll clarify on here that it'd be great for anyone who does know how to do this, to post very simple [in terminology], detailed instructions/steps in this thread, if possible. Then if others in the future have a similar issue, there will be a solution in plain sight.

Permabanned
Simple to whom, exactly? :laugh:

I'll clarify on here that it'd be great for anyone who does know how to do this, to post very simple [in terminology], detailed instructions/steps in this thread, if possible. Then if others in the future have a similar issue, there will be a solution in plain sight.

Simple in complexity, compared to trying to circumvent the password security.

As for how to do a clean install, there's lots of detailed tutorials, in video even, available online for anyone that wants to follow it up.
In summary it consists of:
  1. obtain/create an installation disk/USB installation thumb drive(various ways depending on available resources).
  2. prepare the computer to boot from CD/USB (modern laptops like yours have some dedicated button to selected from a menu - usually ESC or F2, or one of the F keys, just trial and error on reboot will suffice to find it)
  3. Boot from the CD/USB installation drive and follow instruction on screen.
Here's one of the many available tutorials on youtube
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDp1zKML08"]formatting and clean install windows 7[/YOUTUBE]

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=10786]Swivelinglight[/MENTION] & [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION]- thanks, I'll look over this stuff when I get back later.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
You might be able to get into it with the hidden Administrator account via safe mode.

1. You need to restart your computer to be able to boot in Safe Mode
2. When the Windows screen appears, press the F8 key.
3. Go to Microsoft Windows using your keyboard arrows.
4. Instead of pressing the Enter key, press the F8 key again to display the Safe Mode boot screen.
5. Choose Safe Mode from the list and press the Enter key.
6. You will be taken to the log-in screen that will display the Administrator account icon among your other current account/s.

Not sure how well it will work but it's worth a shot.

F

figsfiggyfigs

Google.

But i'm with Phobes on this one. I'm sure one of your friends can lend you a windows 7 copy if you can't get your hand on one.

If you have some cash, you should just take it to a local comp-shop, and get it done there.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
format and clean install.

^Before reading the rest of the thread, that suggestion was what I immediately thought. Reformat the whole damn thing and you'll get a cleaned up laptop for you to use.

You don't need any files on the laptop anyways, correct?

If your stepbrother still has the Vista CD, use that temporarily until you can get a Windows 7.

But lol, Celeron Processor.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Lex, get your brother and go to the nearest Geek Squad. Exhibit your hapless sibling to the geeks. Exhibit your hapless computer. Done and done.

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
If you truly wanna use the same computer without doing a fresh install you could also google "hack admin password + windows". There are tons of guides and there's even so called boot-cds you could use. I use the boot-cds myself. It is fairly easy and includes like 3-4 steps to change the admin password. But I would also recommend you just do a fresh install unless you need some of the stuff on there.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You didn't say if you tried "oreo" as the password.