• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BIOS Modding

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_XPS_730x#Upgrading_BIOS_to_Alienware_A10

Modding the BIOS... hmmmm... haven't done it and I am thinking it might be too risky. But I've learned to take advantage of 4gb sticks, I will probably need to mod it if I want to fully use the 12gb of ram. There is some upgrades that I may plan to do soon.

My tower is an XPS 730X, and the max tRFC is at 100 (to take advantage of the 4gb sticks, I need a higher tRFC.)

Been trying to find specific modding questions coming from Wiki (other sites in question about the modding) Can't seem to find any information on it besides the one supplied by wiki. Certain BIOS for the Alienware desktop uses the same chipset as the XPS that I have (x58.)

Alongside the two Desktops I am looking at, one stands out to be the most similar, and the most recent BIOS is the A11.

Dell, sadly, hasn't done any BIOS setting update to allow for the added upgrade for better ram for this old XPS (Not since 2009....) But, I believe, they have done so for the Alienware counterparts (recent update April of this year :mad:,) which is why I am thinking maybe?

Any info that I may have overlook would really help.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Rail Tracer, I've got a Dell XPS 600 that I ordered in Oct. 2005. It's not as "potent" as the XPS 730x but the graphics were excellent and I was more than satisfied with it's performance , while it worked. Around June 2006 , the power company was working on my transformer in my front yard and the super cheap surge strip didn't stand up to the surge when they turned the power back on and it took out my internal dial-up modem. After that it just never ran quite right and the boot up was always slower than before it took the surge that day the power company was working on my transformer.

I've still got it but it's in my storage unit. Somewhere around the end of 2006 it just wouldn't boot up at all,nothing but a blank screen. I'm not computer savvy with hardware and it's so old now I'm wondering where I could take it to find out exactly what's wrong with it. It's nothing more than a 42 lb. paperweight now.

I probably wouldn't even use it now as my primary PC because of it's power consumption, it pulls a whopping 650 watts of juice. :shock:

I still wouldn't mind getting it up and running to have as a spare backup if it can even be repaired and depending on how much it would cost.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Rail Tracer, I've got a Dell XPS 600 that I ordered in Oct. 2005. It's not as "potent" as the XPS 730x but the graphics were excellent and I was more than satisfied with it's performance , while it worked. Around June 2006 , the power company was working on my transformer in my front yard and the super cheap surge strip didn't stand up to the surge when they turned the power back on and it took out my internal dial-up modem. After that it just never ran quite right and the boot up was always slower than before it took the surge that day the power company was working on my transformer.

I've still got it but it's in my storage unit. Somewhere around the end of 2006 it just wouldn't boot up at all,nothing but a blank screen. I'm not computer savvy with hardware and it's so old now I'm wondering where I could take it to find out exactly what's wrong with it. It's nothing more than a 42 lb. paperweight now.

I probably wouldn't even use it now as my primary PC because of it's power consumption, it pulls a whopping 650 watts of juice. :shock:

I still wouldn't mind getting it up and running to have as a spare backup if it can even be repaired and depending on how much it would cost.

I'm betting it fragged the power supply. Probably popped a capacitor enough for it to leak and slowly degrade but not enough that it immediately quit working. Other stuff probably got damaged if you still ran it that way and it eventually quit working. Edit: Some times motherboard capacitors pop, too. There was a time when some companies were using inferior caps that would pop.

You could probably strip it out and stuff a motherboard combo kit and power supply in there. I did that on mine myself for less than $150 when the heat sink bracket popped off the original and it fried.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most likely the power supply was partly fried. If you have another computer with a good power supply that you can test on, try that. If it starts up just fine on a different power supply, than it is the power supplies fault.

If it still causes the same blank screen, there may be other problems when it comes to the hardware inside. Possibly the RAM, the graphics card (yes, one time... the cables for an old computer I had connected to the graphics card fried and wouldn't work without replacing the graphics card and the cable,) or the motherboard itself.

This site might be useful for diagnosing what could be the problem (hoping there isn't too much jargon in their to confuse you: ) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307474-28-power-surge-blank-screen

Anyhow, my BIOS upgrade modding was a success. I now have a modded Alienware BIOS for my XPS 730X.

EDIT: As [MENTION=16071]sprinkles[/MENTION] said :D

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
^ Thanks, I'm going to look into it. I've got nothing to lose opening it up and taking it apart since it serves me no use as it is. It cost $3,019 back when I ordered it and I'd love to resurrect it if I can. I'm not sure what needs to be replaced but $150 is worth it if it can bring it back to life.

I'd like to know the best site for PC hardware, TigerDirect ? Newegg ? or some other site ? Where's the cheapest place for PC hardware ?

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
^ Thanks, I'm going to look into it. I've got nothing to lose opening it up and taking it apart since it serves me no use as it is. It cost $3,019 back when I ordered it and I'd love to resurrect it if I can. I'm not sure what needs to be replaced but $150 is worth it if it can bring it back to life.

I'd like to know the best site for PC hardware, TigerDirect ? Newegg ? or some other site ? Where's the cheapest place for PC hardware ?

I've gotten stuff from TigerDirect and NewEgg, I think either is pretty good. For resurrecting a machine that cost $3k you could probably get an even better kit for 1/10th that cost from either of those sites. Might as well upgrade, IMO. You can do a pretty good overhaul for $300 that will be better than what used to cost $3,000

It of course won't be equivalent to a new computer that costs that much. You could test all the parts too, but it's so cheap to get better parts that it's kind of an exercise in time or money.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've looked at the bare bones computer kits on TigerDirect and I see how a lot of money can be saved building your own versus paying out the ass at Best Buy,ect. for one that's already put together and installed with all of the software. I think I can figure out how to connect all of the hardware pieces but installing the operating system will probably be the hardest thing for me going the bare bones kit route.

I like this kit here>

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2428843&csid=_61

1 TB is a good size hard drive and more than I'll ever need.

I've never been into playing any type of video games so I don't have any need for a super fast mega computer. I wasted a nice chunk of change when I ordered my Dell in 2005.

I think I can figure out how to connect all of the hard ware in these bare bones kits. Getting an operating system figured out and running will be the headache for me.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=4451]Werewolfen[/MENTION]

Hardware is easier to hook up than it used to be. The most confusing part is probably still hooking up the case buttons and accessories properly, you kind of have to pay attention to the schematic closely. But other than that the plugs are pretty obvious where they fit to.

Just handle everything carefully and gently and don't shock anything with static discharge and you should be good.

They usually come with a driver disc and instructions for installing the drivers to get the included hardware up and running, which is pretty straightforward.

Edit: Also for the processor you'll want thermal paste if it isn't included in the kit. With the Phenom II you can put just a small dab of thermal paste, about the size of a rice grain (I ended up with slightly more than that) exactly in the center of the processor, then mount the heat sink.

Slightly tricky doing the processor mount - you want to get the heat sink square and level and mount it in one go if you can and it will spread the paste itself when you lock it down. Try to get it right in one shot because it isn't ideal to redo it.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I took computer classes in 2003 for 2 quarters , but it was all theory to me with lectures and text book tests. I dropped it after finding out there would be very little practical hands-on learning.

I have this book somewhere in storage by this author but it's the 2003 edition>

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Passport-Edition-220-701/dp/0071702989

If I can find it, there might be something in it that can help me put together a bare bones computer kit ???

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I took computer classes in 2003 for 2 quarters , but it was all theory to me with lectures and text book tests. I dropped it after finding out there would be very little practical hands-on learning.

I have this book somewhere in storage by this author but it's the 2003 edition>

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Passport-Edition-220-701/dp/0071702989

If I can find it, there might be something in it that can help me put together a bare bones computer kit ???

Probably not. :D

It's pretty straightforward. My dad put his own together without being super computer savvy. The computer and included discs do pretty much all the hard stuff on their own.

Just get a clear space with good light where you can organize things and work without interruptions. From there it's pretty much 'put stuff where it goes and don't break it'.

The hard drive and stuff should plug and play on their own and it should be as simple as 'put disc in, follow instructions' for the OS. Once the base OS is installed it should be running with plug and play drivers with basic video and all that. You can then put in the driver disc and install the full drivers. Once that's complete you can restart and check everything out, and optionally update to current versions of drivers if you want and start putting your software on there.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Plug n' Play...yes, I associate that term with making everything EASY. If everything or almost everything is Plug n' Play then I know I can connect everything. I'm done with buying over-priced ready-made PC's. My next PC will be a build-your-own kit.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Plug n' Play...yes, I associate that term with making everything EASY. If everything or almost everything is Plug n' Play then I know I can connect everything. I'm done with buying over-priced ready-made PC's. My next PC will be a build-your-own kit.

Yeah most things are nowdays. Occasionally you still get an odd bit that will not function without the exact drivers - network interfaces are some times prone to this. But even with hard drives and video cards like 99% of the time if you plug the thing in it will at least work when you turn it on. It may not have all the functionality but it's enough to use the computer and get the proper drivers in there.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yes, it actually is quite easy. If you have looked at manuals to make something, then building a kit shouldn't be that bad.

But like Sprinkles said, make sure not to shock some of the components in the kit (especially the CPU.) You might want to get one of these to be on the safe side.

Also, if I ever do upgrade to a new motherboard and CPU, I might actually start getting an AMD one (looking at the higher end CPU's and they look enticing.. and cheap.) Back then, I loved the XPS 730X because the tower was... a full tower, and the wattage on this thing still allows me to upgrade (up to 1000 watts.) Still love it, but it needs an update soon (or rather, I don't need to update yet, but I want to.)

Crafter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Dell is so overpriced. Building a computer from parts is by far the best solution and usually much cheaper. I upgraded recently with top of the line stuff; gfxcard, quadcore i7 cpu, motherboard and ram for around $1300. It is seriously not hard to put together. Furniture from IKEA is worse lol.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=4451]Werewolfen[/MENTION]

[YOUTUBE="wPB3HcMjf2E"]Gaming PC Build instructions[/YOUTUBE]

This might help you a little in building your rig.

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yep, there's a lot of How-To-Videos on youtube about PC building. I know I can do this and I'm looking forward to it. I won't be expert but I can find enough online help to walk me through the process.